Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/11/23 at 23:59

There are not many matches bigger than travelling away to face your rivals for a place in the top-four, and from the start, Tottenham looked far more likely to take the points, but once again Villa came up with the guts to stay in the game and the finesse to finally win it.

Some of the refereeing decisions were accentric and so it was wise of Emery to to withdraw Cash at the break, as Spurs were obviously determined to enjoy the luxury of playing against ten.

In the end it was substitute Tielemans who supplied the perfectly weighted assist, to set up Watkins' match-winning finish.

It was a remarkable turn around for Villa, who had looked second-best for long stretches of the game, but it took the brilliance of Martinez to secure the three points.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I normally keep well away from the 'Match day Thread', but I felt I had to leave a comment today.

I watched the match on Sky with my son and two of my Grandsons and by half time I was a stressed out wreck. I spent the whole of the second half in the lounge on my own in front of a large wood burning stove with a bottle of ten year old Laphroaig whisky. I sipped it and sang songs from my Karaoke catalogue to drown out the cheers and groans coming from the TV room. When my son came and told me we'd won it was a huge draining relief.

I don't usually get stressed about games (win, lose or draw, as long as we've done our best I was happy), but since we've got up towards the top of the table the hope and desire has flooded back in.

Some years ago I had a life saving triple bypass operation after a couple of heart attacks, and I suspect the rest of this season is going to raise my my blood pressure considerably. Fortunately as a collector of excellent Whisky's I have a lot of good 'medication' to calm me down. Still if the worse happens, what a way to go. UTV !!!!!!

How come we aren't best mates?! 🥃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

People saying it was a smash and grab and that we were awful but that really wasn't true in the second half at all. This was a classic case of a poor start followed by the manager making changes and turning it around.

Finally we have a manager who reads VT match thread and takes our recommendations to action. Well done Emery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

Villa and Emery in particular deserve credit for withstanding such a terrific onslaught from an, initially, far superior side - but also for wresting some control over the game and creating the better second-half opportunities.  

The Cash yellow looked like a horribly mistimed challenge, not his only one in a terrible first half display.  Someone has given him Motm, which I can only imagine must be for putting the excellent Bentancur, returning from injury, out of the game.  Poor.

Did I watch the same game? Spurs were good in the first half and we stood off a little too much. 

"Terrific onslaught" - I did not see this.

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

Early pro-active subs, beat them for stamina, Emi on fire. Pleased with the hard-fought comeback away win.

As a side observation, it felt like the referee was getting in the way of both teams ALOT today.

Beating them for stamina is a thing I think we'll do to most teams.  Our style isn't to go chasing every lost cause, in the hope something comes off, but we also have a lot of very for players that cover ground when they need to, and do so for 90 minutes. 

We'd covered 2.5km less ground than spurs by the end of the first half, and I imagine it hadn't improved by the end of the second. That's their style. And I think by the end of the game we were benefiting from it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

Villa and Emery in particular deserve credit for withstanding such a terrific onslaught from an, initially, far superior side - but also for wresting some control over the game and creating the better second-half opportunities.  

The Cash yellow looked like a horribly mistimed challenge, not his only one in a terrible first half display.  Someone has given him Motm, which I can only imagine must be for putting the excellent Bentancur, returning from injury, out of the game.  Poor.

I miss Buckfast :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Did I watch the same game? Spurs were good in the first half and we stood off a little too much. 

"Terrific onslaught" - I did not see this.

That’s ok. We can be allowed to see things differently.  I thought Spurs had control of the match up until about 5 mins before HT, were first to almost every second ball, and created a number of excellent chances, which admittedly they mostly wasted.  My main point was that Villa deserved credit for sticking in, equalising, then taking control and finishing, in my view, the better side. 

• Like 2

Spurs lack quality,  they can create half chances all day long but if they miss them, like we have in games , then you lose games at the top level of the game. Having watched them against Wolves , where they rode their luck far more than we did today, they are well coached but lack quality in their squad.

We had the players on the bench to change that game and that's what we did. Moaning about chances missed from offside positions isn't doing any of our opposition any good. They need to carry the ball through to beat it.

Cheers Spurs, well take the assault on the top 4 from here 👏