Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/11/23 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

well it is really.  I don't think any neutral or even most Villa fans think we're actually in the title race. 

Difference is the media would have DEFINITELY put Spurs back in the race if they'd won. Whether it's any more realistic than us winning it or not.

16 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't think the overall tactics will change, but if you mean the players' positions, then hopefully yes. I don't like Cash in midfield with Konsa at RB. Not in a game where the opponent is very attack-minded. Cash wasn't doing going forward to worry Udogie  who was inverting and causing a lot of problems. And Konsa looked really uncomfortable being pulled wide by Gil, who was hugging the touchline a lot of the time. He didn't know whether to fully engage Gil or hold his position.
I don't want to see Konsa vs Doku. Would much rather have Cash being the one to engage a winger like that, then Ezri can step across to help out if needed.

This is exactly what I meant, just worded much better 

• Like 1

Spuds have benefited financially for a good fifteen years longer than Villa yet they and the media are bemoaning their lack of strength in depth and injuries.

I have no sympathy for them at all... 

Second-half Villa controlled them which was wonderful to see!

8 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Got to sort out this away form issue poor starts and concede always early. We take  to long to get in the game and there will be times we're there will be no coming back.

I think we try to play, the same way as we do at home,or similar and the requirements are different.

I still think we need to sign some players, who are suited to the rigours of away games, to give us diversity....we have a few too many being played away, better suited to home games.

I thought Bentancur would be a good type...shame we didn't get him.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There are not many matches bigger than travelling away to face your rivals for a place in the top-four, and from the start, Tottenham looked far more likely to take the points, but once again Villa came up with the guts to stay in the game and the finesse to finally win it.

Some of the refereeing decisions were accentric and so it was wise of Emery to to withdraw Cash at the break, as Spurs were obviously determined to enjoy the luxury of playing against ten.

In the end it was substitute Tielemans who supplied the perfectly weighted assist, to set up Watkins' match-winning finish.

It was a remarkable turn around for Villa, who had looked second-best for long stretches of the game, but it took the brilliance of Martinez to secure the three points.

Another fine contribution from Tielemans....his subtle touches to play players in are sublime.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Spuds have benefited financially for a good fifteen years longer than Villa yet they and the media are bemoaning their lack of strength in depth and injuries.

I have no sympathy for them at all... 

Second-half Villa controlled them which was wonderful to see!

Nobody mentioned our absentees, 4 key players and all.

I still can't believe the result......such character.

I think Emi is such a driving force in our team, a true Talisman.

The saves he pulls off, is enough to inspire any player.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Head on over to the Spurs forum if you want a bit of a laugh.

"Hope someone breaks Cash's legs".

i mean it was a bad challenge but he didn't go into it trying to hurt the guy.

Calling us a boring club with no trophies... might want to fact check that!

Yeah....We are just preparing for them.

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Difference is the media would have DEFINITELY put Spurs back in the race if they'd won. Whether it's any more realistic than us winning it or not.

There are times, in games, when we are as open as a beach front.....The media will never be convinced of our threat, while we do that....and Emi will never get the protection he deserves to back up his hard earned reputation, with clean sheets...he deserves better.

Our ability, to score and create chances, is very noble, and it will take us far, as it is doing.....but to win the top prizes, you have to defend well, and nullify ambitious, teams with intensity, pace and poise....we were on the ropes, yesterday, for periods,  that wil not convince neutrals, we are the real deal.

I want us to be talked about with pride, and a real sense of conviction, to win trophies.....but we have to stop, being overrun for periods of a game, to do that.

What we have done already, is well beyond our wildest dreams....but to emulate, some of the traditionally top teams, you can clearly see, what we have to do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I don't like to see this coming from the official account. Shows a lack of respect.

Interesting to see the various reactions on this matter.

Personally I prefer to see our official account come across more neutral and professional.

Banter like this that is meant to cause negative reactions and rile people up should come more from the fans not the official account imo.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are times, in games, when we are as open as a beach front.....The media will never be convinced of our threat, while we do that....and Emi will never get the protection he deserves to back up his hard earned reputation, with clean sheets...he deserves better.

Our ability, to score and create chances, is very noble, and it will take us far, as it is doing.....but to win the top prizes, you have to defend well, and nullify ambitious, teams with intensity, pace and poise....we were on the ropes, yesterday, for periods,  that wil not convince neutrals, we are the real deal.

I want us to be talked about with pride, and a real sense of conviction, to win trophies.....but we have to stop, being overrun for periods of a game, to do that.

What we have done already, is well beyond our wildest dreams....but to emulate, some of the traditionally top teams, you can clearly see, what we have to do.

I'm not arguing that we are real title contenders - I agree, if we need to score at least 2 every game to win then we will come unstuck. But Spurs have been just as open and devil-may-care in the way they've played but there's been a lot less talk of that being a real weak point for them ('Angeball is so refreshing and brave!' etc.). It's more the way the two teams are perceived differently in the media, despite having similar strengths and weaknesses, that annoys me.  Spurs or Chelsea or Man Utd etc. in our position would be talked of as title contenders. We won't be. And most likely that's correct. But I think we're fighting a perception that our form is just a momentary blip and that we shouldn't be taken seriously. But if you're an established 'big team brand' then you get all the hype, even when it's not justified.

• Like 2

You have to give credit to Spurs first half. The intensity of their play was something we couldn't cope with.  Also Cash was a liability which didn't help. Its no fluke we are 4th though. The form.has been there for over a year. If we can keep doing the  business at home and pick up our fair share of points away we are definitely in the mix for top 4. 

We have shown real character by coming back from defeats at Newcastle, Liverpool and Forest. 

• Like 1

Just trying to hang on and enjoy the ride, the high line is a throw of the dice but the results cannot be denied and it doe's make us look like a jammy side to the opposition but only their forwards can beat it and not many have done so this far. Have always been the type  who wants to win every game or have a good go and this season i have had to step on the tightrope and walk the path of Unai.      We are living in Unai times. 

On 27/11/2023 at 13:50, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'm not arguing that we are real title contenders - I agree, if we need to score at least 2 every game to win then we will come unstuck. But Spurs have been just as open and devil-may-care in the way they've played but there's been a lot less talk of that being a real weak point for them ('Angeball is so refreshing and brave!' etc.). It's more the way the two teams are perceived differently in the media, despite having similar strengths and weaknesses, that annoys me.  Spurs or Chelsea or Man Utd etc. in our position would be talked of as title contenders. We won't be. And most likely that's correct. But I think we're fighting a perception that our form is just a momentary blip and that we shouldn't be taken seriously. But if you're an established 'big team brand' then you get all the hype, even when it's not justified.

I get that completely.....but we can't dictate as to what they want to talk about.

I sometimes, inadvertently talk about what will improve us, and just bank all the good stuff we have done, as accepted.

I accept, that can come across as irritating, to some,  albeit without intending to be......We have to win the treble, for the media to get excited about us, slight exaggeration......but on the other hand, we can't get overrun and expect neutrals to believe in us....we have to earn that belief.

You are right, Spurs too have defensive issues, reasons why they will struggle to win trophies.

I am as excited ( and nervous) as the next fan, to see the fluid and exciting football, we are playing.....but I still say, to win trophies, you have to have a decent take on how to defend as a team..( sometimes we do, and other times we don't)

We have to get to a point where, when we want to go tight, we can.....and when we want to go swashbuckling, we can also.....Thats control.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Personally I prefer to see our official account come across more neutral and professional.

Banter like this that is meant to cause negative reactions and rile people up should come more from the fans not the official account imo.

Really? Lighten up mate. It was a bit of fun.

36 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Just trying to hang on and enjoy the ride, the high line is a throw of the dice but the results cannot be denied and it doe's make us look like a jammy side to the opposition but only their forwards can beat it and not many have done so this far. Have always been the type  who wants to win every game or have a good go and this season i have had to step on the tightrope and walk the path of Unai.      We are living in Unai times. 

I agree, we all are.

I have no problem with the highline....and accept all the benefits it brings....but.....

.....To avoid it becoming an Achilles Heel to us( because teams will try to exploit it, its easy to do) We have to close down the kicker of the long ball.

When we allow the kicker to launch balls over the top of us ( and the better teams have more accurate kickers) it becomes a little Russian Roulette....we will get caught out.

Conceding goals is inevitable.....but when you make them work hard for them, it dampens their enthusiasm for the fight...........everyone likes it easy in life, footballers are no exception.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Yeah I think you’re just taking it too personally. As others have said it’s lighthearted. If people get so provoked by it then that’s on them for being irrational.

• Like 1

Â