viivvaa66

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Getting away from the my dads bigger than your dad bollocks then where it really matters whose better, on the pitch tomorrow, then I am very confident we'll have the edge.

I expect us to be unchanged from the Fulham game and if our starting 11 doesn't have too much for Spurs then we'll win the game off the bench using the likes of Bailey, Zaniolo and JJ. 

We'll win by at least 2 goals. 

Home advantage is massive for them. Especially with 60k fans. If it was the Covid year I’d 100% back us to win. Can’t underestimate home advantage as we have seen from our last 13 home games!

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Bigger stadium, more global fans, much bigger revenue, consistently higher finishes in the league than Villa over the past 15 years, competed in the Champions League many times…

and then the sillier ones like more Instagram followers, London club so automatically better, more high profile players, Super League club, etc.

15 years ago we were definitely bigger than them, but they have been very good the last 12 years or so and we’ve had one of our worst periods. Villa fans didn’t like it when they got asked to join the Super League, because they don’t win trophies like the other Big Six teams do, but they have consistently finished top 6 every season since the 2009-10 season except last season and the first season under Mourinho. They finished top 4 for four consecutive seasons under Pochettino. It’s not a conspiracy against Villa, that level of consistency is something we haven’t shown since probably the mid 90s and even then we never had four top 4 finishes in a row. Once we show consistency like that for 5, 10, 15 years then we won’t be taken as seriously, that’s just the way it is.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t think we can win tomorrow, in fact on the pitch I think we are at a minimum on a par with them right now. You say they have more high profile players than us, not sure that’s true. Son yes, Maddison and Romero maybe. But we have Martinez, Diaby, Torres and Luiz who are all pretty big names in Europe. Even if they were at full strength I think it would be a close game, but with the injuries/suspensions they have I back us with the quality we have to bring home a positive result whether that’s a draw or a win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

15 years ago we were definitely bigger than them, but they have been very good the last 12 years or so and we’ve had one of our worst periods. Villa fans didn’t like it when they got asked to join the Super League, because they don’t win trophies like the other Big Six teams do, but they have consistently finished top 6 every season since the 2009-10 season except last season and the first season under Mourinho. They finished top 4 for four consecutive seasons under Pochettino. It’s not a conspiracy against Villa, that level of consistency is something we haven’t shown since probably the mid 90s and even then we never had four top 4 finishes in a row. Once we show consistency like that for 5, 10, 15 years then we won’t be taken as seriously, that’s just the way it is.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t think we can win tomorrow, in fact on the pitch I think we are at a minimum on a par with them right now. You say they have more high profile players than us, not sure that’s true. Son yes, Maddison and Romero maybe. But we have Martinez, Diaby, Torres and Luiz who are all pretty big names in Europe. Even if they were at full strength I think it would be a close game, but with the injuries/suspensions they have I back us with the quality we have to bring home a positive result whether that’s a draw or a win. 

Leicester must be an absolutely massive club 🤔

Feels like this could really change the game.

If we go into January in the top 4, Unai will be afforded funds to strengthen I don't think we're planning for.

We know what usually happens when this sort of game comes along...

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get the optimism about this game. I’m thinking a point would be a great result.  People get carried away. 

Surely going there last year and winning comfortably was a bigger shock than us turning them over tomorrow?

I remember watching in shock at how comfortable the second half was. I know Spurs were starting to decline under Conte but they were still 5th after that game, we went up to 12th.

In fairness that was when I thought we perhaps had an outside chance of europe challenge but even with that win we were 9 points off Spurs with a far inferior GD so really good achievement to finish above them in the end.

I think we'll be o.k, don't think we'll lose anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Im taking it that papers a London based one?

They have nice stadium but after that I'm not sure what metric they could be described as being bigger than us, other than their fans heads.

They've played in european competition in 14 of the last 15 seasons. They've finished above us the same number of times. They played in a CL final less than five years ago. And given it's modern football metric they turnover a huge amount compared to what we do.

They don't win anything either but I think for next 15 years we'd all take that level of consistency and also taking part in the biggest game in World football.

I would say thought it's there for us to in the next four out of five seasons to finish above them and that's when you can say we're comfortably ahead of Spurs as a club. Bit premature when we're declaring it when we've just finished 7th and them 8th. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You study math at high school 

Forhill House, Kings Norton. Where the first question fired at you as young 14yr old adolescent, by that really strange man called Mr Reid was, "how many times do you masturbate?". If I hadn't have been so startled, I would have probably said, "come to think of it, quite a bloody lot".

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get the optimism about this game. I’m thinking a point would be a great result.  People get carried away. 

5th in the league, not far off the top 3, and you don't get the optimism. That's what the manager has brought to the club, belief in our own ability, and it's clearly self - evident. Obviously that gives optimism to the fans, some of them, that is.

every spurs fan i've spoken to is expecting them to lose. we're up against a CB pairing of eric dier and ben davies. we should put 2 or 3 past that...but it's villa and is never that straightforward.

definitely feels like a big opportunity this...the most nervous i've been for a match in some time. i think the run of games doesn't help...it wouldn't be a total shock for us to lose all 4 of these games as it's typical that  bournemouth have hit form as we're about to play them

Despite all the talk of our poor away record, three of the four (inc. Europe) came in the first few weeks of the season when we were playing two of the toughest fixtures (Newcastle and Liverpool) and recalibrating the team after Mings' injury. Since then we've played 4 away games (W2, D1, L1) and performed well in 3 out of 4. The AZ Alkmaar game especially was a commanding away performance but it kind of gets forgotten because it wasn't a Premier League game. 

A lot of the underlying stats go in our favour, too (this was prior to the weekend's games):

Goals Scored - Spurs 24, Villa 29
xG rank- Spurs 9th, Villa 4th
xGA - Spurs 10th, Villa 7th
xPts - Spurs 8th, Villa 6th
Goal difference - Spurs +9, Villa +12
xGD Spurs +0.6, Villa +7.7