OutByEaster?

On 14/11/2023 at 23:01, OutByEaster? said:

jeepers - according to the BBC's Football news show (a good watch if you've got fifteen minutes), Unai Emery watched twenty-seven Legia Warsaw games before we played them in the away leg.

Twenty-seven full games.

And we still lost

Unai out

• Haha 2

I think definite starters against Bournemouth (injuries permitting) are Martinez, Konsa, Pau, Digne, McGinn, Luiz, Tielemans and Watkins, so that's 8 players I'd rest for this one (well 7 because we have to start with Emi).

So on that basis, giving us enough to win (hopefully) and managing the squad, I think something like;

Martinez

Cash       Carlos         Lenglet        Moreno

Bailey     Kamara    Iroegbunam    Ramsey    

Diaby         

Duran    

Hopefully get a good hour from Moreno and Ramsey and Diaby can play is way into a bit of form.

• Like 1

I believe if we win by 2 goals, it goes to head to head record for top of the group. ie if we've 4-3 on aggregate over the two ties with Legia and tied on point we're top. 

I think it even goes to away goals in tied teams. So if we win 1-0 or 2-1 or by 2 goals we're top of group with a game left

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m not. Kind of a fool me twice situation. We’ve only turned up to one conference game. These barely feel like competitive fixtures to me now because of how we have been treating them. 

We'll take this one very seriously.

2 goal win and we win the group on the night so can send the Tea lady and Jack Woodward to play in Bosnia if we so wish. And anyone else wanting a go! I assume if we win 3-2 we should be o.k aswell with GD due to the big win in Alkmaar.

If the players want a free midweek between the Arsenal and Brentford games they play well in this. If not they go off to play in Bosnia in the midweek between those two games.

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think definite starters against Bournemouth (injuries permitting) are Martinez, Konsa, Pau, Digne, McGinn, Luiz, Tielemans and Watkins, so that's 8 players I'd rest for this one (well 7 because we have to start with Emi).

So on that basis, giving us enough to win (hopefully) and managing the squad, I think something like;

Martinez

Diaby         

Duran    

Hopefully get a good hour from Moreno and Ramsey and Diaby can play is way into a bit of form.

I'd go with 

Martinez

Bailey     Tielemans    Luiz    Zaniolo    

Diaby         

Watkins    

Digne on for Moreno at half time. Duran on for Watkins on 60 mins. Luiz for Dendonker

Points obtained in group matches played among teams in question

Superior goal difference from group matches played among teams in question

Goals scored in group matches played among teams in question

Criteria 1-3 reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams

Superior goal difference in all group matches

Goals scored in all group matches

Away goals scored in all group matches

Wins in all group matches

Away wins in all group matches

Disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Points obtained in group matches played among teams in question

Superior goal difference from group matches played among teams in question

Goals scored in group matches played among teams in question

Criteria 1-3 reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams

Superior goal difference in all group matches

Goals scored in all group matches

Away goals scored in all group matches

Wins in all group matches

Away wins in all group matches

Disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards

Thanks so a win means we're mathematically top unless we win 3-2 or 4-3 etc..

7 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

Diaby         

Duran    

I'd be really surprised to see Tim and Ramsey start. Would hope to see both play a bit In the game. 

A win here means we can basically send kids to Bosnia and then not touch the conference league until Feb or so. 

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There's a large Polish diaspora in the West Midlands, I suspect a lot of them will be Legia fans and will just go to hang around with their people in town anyway. I know if I lived somewhere in Europe and Villa were coming to town I'd go find the Villa fans before kick off regardless of whether I had a ticket or not. 

Apologies, reading the post of mine you have quoted again it reads as if I'm saying any Legia fans who come to town ticketless should get a kicking 🤣 it was meant to be two separate points which I articulated poorly, as that is absolutely not what I think!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think the club is asking for fans to get to the game a bit earlier than normal if you can, as getting in is taking longer than a usual league game due to all of the individual tickets.

Well arriving at ground 30 mins before kickoff wasn't enough v AZ, was still late getting in. I'm aiming for as early as I can to this one cos I hate missing kick off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

If Villa better the 3-2 from the away tie e.g. 4-3 or 2-0 they will finish top. If they won otherwise e.g. 1-0, the final group matches would decide.

In practice, if we win then obviously all we would need is a point in Mostar and/or AZ to take something from their game against Legia. Of course it would be nice to *definitively* end the group on Thursday but a win puts us in an excellent position even if it's only 1-0. 

Depending on fitness, I think this would be logical:

---------------Martinez----------------------

-Cash--Carlos--Lenglet--Moreno-

-Bailey--Kamara--Tielemans--Ramsey-

-------------Zaniolo--Duran-------------

If Moreno isn't fit, then whoever out of Digne or Torres; if Ramsey isn't fit, then put Zaniolo there and play Diaby.