OutByEaster?

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

There are nine other Villa players on the pitch. 

They're the only two that play up front and in goal (respectively). I guess anyone can score, but only Olsen can make a save. Olsen also has to play short accurate balls into our defenders/defensive midfielders, something he's shown he's far from reliable at. If he doesn't make a hospital pass I'll be pretty surprised.  Martinez isn't immune to them, but it's a far more rare occurrence from him. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

They're the only two that play up front and in goal (respectively). I guess anyone can score, but only Olsen can make a save. Olsen also has to play short accurate balls into our defenders/defensive midfielders, something he's shown he's far from reliable at. If he doesn't make a hospital pass I'll be pretty surprised.  Martinez isn't immune to them, but it's a far more rare occurrence from him. 

Haven't a few of the Olsen goals conceded been with Dendoncker involved?

Well, I don't think a single villa fan would have guessed that lineup. Konsa paired with Lenglet instead of Carlos, Luiz and McGinn both starting and no Watkins even on the bench, all seems wild. Certainly didn't expect Olsen. But, manager has earned our trust and then some. 

Edited by blunther

Ollie may have caught this bloody bug thing that's doing the round. I've had it 2 weeks now, know people who've had it 4 weeks. Just when you think it's shifted the bastard coughing shit up off your chest comes back again.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Haven't a few of the Olsen goals conceded been with Dendoncker involved?

You make a good point. I think maybe one was Kamara involved. I think the ball in all cases has been poor, but Donk doesn't have the ability of Luiz or Kamara to get out of jail, so probably does exacerbate the issue.

Looking at the positives... that midfield looks very strong. The defence too. If we get the good Duran we could score plenty. But early concerns brought on my volume of changes and key positions have won my brain at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Nothing makes me laugh more than Villa fans putting down Olsen when the same critics say diddly squat when Emi gets it wrong. Olsen is not only an international class keeper but he is OUR keeper and deserves backing because if Emi gets injured, he becomes pretty important to us so give him a break and support the lad !

Nothing makes me laugh more when people say emi never gets criticised for mistakes when he clearly does get criticised 

Difference is emi wins us gamss like sunday.

Its not like ive said boo the lad obviously we all gonna get behind him. Anyone who says they are not worried without emi and watkins in the team is lying

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree he deserves backing and in person should get that.... but online in a forum,  where he won't see it, I'll reserve my right to be terrified of his ability to play the game Emery wants us to play. 

I agree and I respect the rights of all to express opinions but my feeling with Olsen is that some fans see him as having horns sticking out of his head and no matter how he plays and no matter what he does, he is declared as being poor. He is a very, very good stopper. He's agile and he is strong in the air too. Where he used to be weak was whenever the ball was at his feet but - to my eyes - he has improved significantly in that area. 

Not being as good as Emi does not make you a bad keeper ..... if you want a real bed pan of a nettie then take a look at what lurks at Old Trafford ...... Newton Heath fans would kill for Olsen over Banana !!!

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Maybe Watkins and Emi have asked for a total rest? Both have played a lot of football recently, including intl travel, and Emery has been obliging this week with all the Premier League football coming up over the next few weeks.

I'm just guessing, but in my opinion it seems likely. On paper these are the lowest quality team we'll play for a while.

11 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Nothing makes me laugh more than Villa fans putting down Olsen when the same critics say diddly squat when Emi gets it wrong.

Don’t know how you can write this without laughing.  Emi makes mistakes, of course, but 99% of the time he’s world class for us as he showed again against Spurs.  Olsen makes mistakes and generally makes more, he’s an average level PL keeper who makes poor decisions occasionally but generally impactful errors.  It’s a disingenuous argument.

15 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Olsen is not only an international class keeper

and? and I would say he’s an ‘international keeper’, I’m not sure what the ‘class’ refers to because internationals levels are all over the place in terms of quality given the strengths of international teams. Would he get into England, Spain, France squads….of course not….would he get into Malta, Faroe Islands or Ireland squads…of course…saying international class means nothing.

19 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

but he is OUR keeper and deserves backing because if Emi gets injured, he becomes pretty important to us so give him a break and support the lad !

and we all do at the ground when he’s playing but outside of that it’s ok to question him especially in forums.  If you aren’t nervous when he plays then we are watching very different games.

10 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

I agree and I respect the rights of all to express opinions but my feeling with Olsen is that some fans see him as having horns sticking out of his head and no matter how he plays and no matter what he does, he is declared as being poor. He is a very, very good stopper. He's agile and he is strong in the air too. Where he used to be weak was whenever the ball was at his feet but - to my eyes - he has improved significantly in that area. 

Not being as good as Emi does not make you a bad keeper ..... if you want a real bed pan of a nettie then take a look at what lurks at Old Trafford ...... Newton Heath fans would kill for Olsen over Banana !!!

Onana has always been hapless, I'm not sure what United thought they were buying, but he's made howlers like that regularly for his whole career. 

He nakes up for it with the occasional world class save and decent, if a little risky, distribution.

I'm not sure Olsen brings quite as much to compensate for his mistakes, but you are right that he has improved a bit. 

Even Martinez's distribution has improved massively. Its like he's a different goalkeeper to the one at the start of Emery's tenure.