Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

That thing about a statue of horse with one leg in the air? The person supposedly killed after battle but from wounds in battle? Two feet in the air killed in battle? All totally false. just a statue of a horse with feet in the air.

• Haha 1

Another one - water in the southern hemisphere gurgling down the plug hole in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere? Again, false. The spinning of the water reflects the spinning of the earth - as north and south spin in the same direction, so does the water going down the plughole.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, peterw said:

Another one - water in the southern hemisphere gurgling down the plug hole in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere? Again, false. The spinning of the water reflects the spinning of the earth - as north and south spin in the same direction, so does the water going down the plughole.

You may have reached the correct conclusion regarding plug holes in the house, but the science behind your reasoning is more than questionable.

Coriolis would be spinning (clockwise) in his grave just reading it! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

You may have reached the correct conclusion regarding plug holes in the house, but the science behind your reasoning is more than questionable.

unless he was in Australia, i guess.

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Am I right in thinking that the spinning is largely influenced by other factors (tilt of the surface, flow of water, etc), and the spinning of the earth is a very minor effect?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Am I right in thinking that the spinning is largely influenced by other factors (tilt of the surface, flow of water, etc), and the spinning of the earth is a very minor effect?

Exactly! You should be able to produce the effect with a large enough (scientific) set up however. Even though the earth is traveling in one direction, it is travelling faster at the equator than at the poles. The way I was taught was to imagine that if you were stood at the North Pole and me at the South facing each other with a stick on the equator. If we both could throw a ball straight at the stick (theoretically obvs), because the earth is traveling faster at the equator, by the time the ball got there we would both miss, your ball curving to the right hand side as you look at it, me on my left...hence the start of the respective clockwise (you) anticlockwise (me) movements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Exactly! You should be able to produce the effect with a large enough (scientific) set up however. Even though the earth is traveling in one direction, it is travelling faster at the equator than at the poles. The way I was taught was to imagine that if you were stood at the North Pole and me at the South facing each other with a stick on the equator. If we both could throw a ball straight at the stick (theoretically obvs), because the earth is traveling faster at the equator, by the time the ball got there we would both miss, your ball curving to the right hand side as you look at it, me on my left...hence the start of the respective clockwise (you) anticlockwise (me) movements.

Oh right, yes that's made the whole thing much clearer 

confused mark wahlberg GIF

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

And proper thirst quenching.  There is nothing more thirst quenching than a pint of Robinsons Orange and Pineapple with ice when you have a proper thirst on. 

Ice cold Robinsons lemon and lime hits the spot 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oh right, yes that's made the whole thing much clearer 

confused mark wahlberg GIF

Maybe this will help.   The black line is where a thrown ball would travel if the earth was still.   The blue line is the true path it travels (straight line in the direction it was thrown).   The red line is how it travels relative the the surface of the spinning globe (i.e., it's path as it looks to an observer with the earth's surface as their reference).

spacer.png

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Than when it hit, I assume. Sounds implausible to me. 

Yeah, how have they calculated the trajectory of a piece of rock from billions of years ago?

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Dick Turpin

On 10/06/2020 at 19:01, il_serpente said:

I genuinely thought @Stevo985 (did @Seat68 recommend his user name btw?) was referring to the sport.   Had to mooney it when I saw the laughing responses.   WTAF do you do with squash?

I thought it was brilliant wordplay as I was reading it, but no, there you were ploughing on unironically :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Yeah, how have they calculated the trajectory of a piece of rock from billions of years ago?

If you know the size of the crater and the angle of which the asteroid hit (from the crater), you know it's angle of atmospheric entry, you could calculate it's flight path quite easily.  It obviously got caught up in our mass/orbit and did a few ever-ingrowing swings before hitting. 

It's how we can accurately join up rockets going to/fro the ISS, which is about 10ft diameter I think.  We don't just go up to it, rockets go around the earth multiple times before joining up - it's all done mathematically. 

Edited by lapal_fan

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Than when it hit, I assume. Sounds implausible to me. 

It came from a pretty reliable science driven pod cast (Daniel and jorge explain the universe) where they were discussing Jupiter.

I'm not so sure I'd say implausible, they would know a fair bit about similar meteorites and comets, the specific characteristics, the impact site itself, and a good idea of its origin.

I'm sure from that they could work out a very likely orbit path. 

Edited by Nigel

If the dinosaurs saw the asteroid in the sky 10 years earlier why the flipping heck didn't they do something about it? Bloody idiots, deserved extinction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If the dinosaurs saw the asteroid in the sky 10 years earlier why the flipping heck didn't they do something about it? Bloody idiots, deserved extinction. 

Tiny arms!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If you know the size of the crater and the angle of which the asteroid hit (from the crater), you know it's angle of atmospheric entry, you could calculate it's flight path quite easily.  It obviously got caught up in our mass/orbit and did a few ever-ingrowing swings before hitting. 

It's how we can accurately join up rockets going to/fro the ISS, which is about 10ft diameter I think.  We don't just go up to it, rockets go around the earth multiple times before joining up - it's all done mathematically. 

As if you know that you thick b******!

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
  • Like 1

Â