Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

So fruit juice concentrate then.  That's what we had for orange juice when I was a little kid in Norway.   I've never seen the word "cordial" refer to anything that's not alcoholic before.   I associate it with a liqueur, typically fruit based, after dinner.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

On the squash thing, isn’t it because most of their “fruit drinks” are basically pre-made squash? Stuff like Sunny Delight.

Yeah I guess so. It's just not something they have.

I guess in the same way we don't have Kool Aid. Sometimes things just don't make it in other countries. 

It seems weird seeing as it's such a staple here. But the friend I'm talking about genuinely found the concept of squash totally bizarre. 

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

So fruit juice concentrate then.  That's what we had for orange juice when I was a little kid in Norway.   I've never seen the word "cordial" refer to anything that's not alcoholic before.   I associate it with a liqueur, typically fruit based, after dinner.

That's kind of how I use it to be honest. I have some peach and barley flavoured squash, and just use a splash in homemade cocktails.

Not exactly concentrated fruit juice (I don't think it's got real fruit in it, you can keep an opened bottle for months). More concentrated fruit flavour you dilute with water. 

And proper thirst quenching.  There is nothing more thirst quenching than a pint of Robinsons Orange and Pineapple with ice when you have a proper thirst on. 

Cordial is just a posher type you have to use more cordial and less water than with squash making it more expensive and less watery.  I don't understand the point of it to be honest.  My wife usually has a bottle of apple and elderflower cordial in the cupboard. Maybe as it's less watered you get more of the subtle flavours.  In squash Orange, Blackcurrant, Lemon and Forest fruits hold their own. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

So fruit juice concentrate then. 

As @sidcowsays, no not eally but this has remindended me of something

For the older folks... remember the Oramge jiuce machines you used to get in cafes with the two revolving platic oranges in? That was orange juice made from concentrate iirc... evil stuff, there was something in that I was allergic to. Used to make my temperature go up and I turned bright red. Only ever happened three times in my life but evry time that stuff was involved somewhere

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

For the older folks... remember the Oramge jiuce machines you used to get in cafes with the two revolving platic oranges in? That was orange juice made from concentrate iirc... evil stuff, there was something in that I was allergic to. Used to make my temperature go up and I turned bright red. Only ever happened three times in my life but evry time that stuff was involved somewhere

My first job they used to buy in this really really weird orange and lemon squash from the office supplies company.  It was literally florescent orange and lime green.  I swear it would glow in the dark. 

It was also disgusting. I only ever once tasted the same flavour and it was from a vending machine.  I am sure it was the same stuff. 

Edited by sidcow

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do they not sell still Fanta outside the UK then? 

They must do, I remember the first time I went abroad they were selling Fanta Limon out of the vending machines

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Probably lettuce!

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Do they not sell still Fanta outside the UK then? 

We have it in the US, but it's not a concentrate.   It's a carbonated beverage drunk straight out of the bottle or can or over ice.   Also knows as soda, soda pop, pop or a coke, depending on what part of the country you're in.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Not exactly concentrated fruit juice (I don't think it's got real fruit in it, you can keep an opened bottle for months). More concentrated fruit flavour you dilute with water. 

Think it does usually have some fruit in it, but in the same way a Walls sausage has meat in it. Lots of sugar / sweeteners and preservatives, and some tasty E numbers to get the party started.

The best thing about squash IMO is how it can be used to either lightly flavour some cold water when you’re really really thirsty, or to make a 2000 calorie pint of violent sugar rush.

While we’re on squash, can someone post some interesting trivia about ice tea? My other sugary still soft drink of choice.

I just remembered, back in the late '70's I lived in a test market for a drink called Wallaby Squash.   As I recall, it was a very lightly carbonated citrusy drink.   I never understood where the name came from, but I do now.  I doubt it was from Oz, but the marketing was definitely making the connection.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think it does usually have some fruit in it, but in the same way a Walls sausage has meat in it. Lots of sugar / sweeteners and preservatives, and some tasty E numbers to get the party started.

The best thing about squash IMO is how it can be used to either lightly flavour some cold water when you’re really really thirsty, or to make a 2000 calorie pint of violent sugar rush.

While we’re on squash, can someone post some interesting trivia about ice tea? My other sugary still soft drink of choice.

First bit of trivia:   It's actually called iced tea.  :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

We have it in the US, but it's not a concentrate.   It's a carbonated beverage drunk straight out of the bottle or can or over ice.   Also knows as soda, soda pop, pop or a coke, depending on what part of the country you're in.

No, still Fanta is not carbonated.  Its the same taste as fizzy Fanta, but it's still. That's the nearest drink to diluted orange squash I can think of and from what you say they obviously don't sell that in USA, it may be a uniquely UK variation due to our squash ting. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, still Fanta is not carbonated.  Its the same taste as fizzy Fanta, but it's still. That's the nearest drink to diluted orange squash I can think of and from what you say they obviously don't sell that in USA, it may be a uniquely UK variation due to our squash ting. 

I've never seen it anywhere other than in McDonald's and I can never see it on the menu screen things any more.  Was a lifeline for me as a kid as I didnt like fizzy drinks.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I've never seen it anywhere other than in McDonald's and I can never see it on the menu screen things any more.  Was a lifeline for me as a kid as I didnt like fizzy drinks.

They definitely used to sell it in bottles but thinking about it I've not seen it for ages and a quick Google suggests it's discontinued. 

snapshotimagehandler_1729084494.jpeg?h=5

Then you get this stuff.  A tiny squirt (thanks Kenneth) into your boring water bottle turns it into a fruit flavoured sensation.

My kids both do athletics so we often spend whole summer days at athletics meetings.  There is always one of these in the bag somewhere to pep up the water bottles. 

God knows how concentrated it is.  You could probably etch metal with it. 

• Like 1

Â