The Villa Villan

sidcow

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I like him.

Fair play. 

Probably a bit too American but I can see him running across the pitchside screens with a swag bag after we score. That kind of thing.  I can see that horrifying some though 😂

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You know.... this guy:

image.png.4ef80447a5c09f0856d183b9408da59a.png

What do people think of him? 

With all the talk of new badge and branding can we make use of this guy? Not on the badge obviously, but as an image. 

I could see him running across the screens or on the website.   

Dunno really, just think he's an interesting character not really used by the club. 

Or maybe best just consigned to history. 

I prefer him to one of our other historical mascots "Darkie".

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You know.... this guy:

image.png.4ef80447a5c09f0856d183b9408da59a.png

What do people think of him? 

With all the talk of new badge and branding can we make use of this guy? Not on the badge obviously, but as an image. 

I could see him running across the screens or on the website.   

Dunno really, just think he's an interesting character not really used by the club. 

Or maybe best just consigned to history. 

I mentioned a modernised " Villan " in the brand identity thread.

Insanely cheesy and outdated — a definite no. Fortunately, I can’t see it happening.

We need to be looking towards the future with modern branding, not that I think we will with the next crest, though. I’m fully prepared to be underwhelmed, but it won’t be as embarrassing as the Villa Villan, thank Christ.

• Like 1

It’s a quaint little relic from the club’s history but not one I’m particularly bothered about. And I certainly don’t think we need it confusing matters with the new badge.

Maybe somewhat controversially, I’ve never been that fussed about the nickname “the villans” anyway. It’s ok, I don’t dislike it, but I never use it. “Who do you support?”…”The Villans!!!”. Nope. It’s more likely just “The Villa”.

I’m sure it’ll be fine if the club want to sell a retro style pin badge with the Villan on. 

As an aside, we all know it’s not “villains” - fine. However (and yes judging a book by it’s cover here) the Villa Villan looks a lot like a villain to me. Frankly, he looks like he’s off to see how far into the sky he get James I to go (or James VI, if you prefer).

So it’s the Villa Villan, who is seemingly styling himself as a villain. We can’t massively grumble about people putting an “i” in there by accident, I feel.

And besides, a “thief” type mascot immediately evokes this sort of thing.

• Like 1

I don’t feel any connection to the character at all, I think it’s from a period that’s slightly before my time and it feels very outdated in 2023. I think the fact he looks like a BBC employed sex offender from the 70’s is somewhat detracts from his marketing potential. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mentioned a modernised " Villan " in the brand identity thread.

I do  remember this but apparently Villa did a rebranding of it back in 2016:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2013/09/17/from-the-archives-the-origins-of-the-famous-villa-villan

If you ever come across a rather mischievous character in long cloak and sporting a dashing moustache around B6, you've been in the presence of the 'Villa Villan'. 

The term Villan - often inaccurately assumed to be a misspelling of the word Villain - has been used to describe a claret and blue enthusiast since 1879. 

• Like 1

Nope.  It’s monstrously embarrassing, how does this relate to the club (and please don’t cite ‘villan’)? Its unnecessarily adding a layer of narrative that doesn’t exist. Why would we want a guy fawkes-a-like representing the club?

Heck would absolutely hate this.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Nope.  It’s monstrously embarrassing, how does this relate to the club (and please don’t cite ‘villan’)? Its unnecessarily adding a layer of narrative that doesn’t exist. Why would we want a guy fawkes-a-like representing the club?

Don't think it's embarrassing but it's best left to history

The club haven't really successfully got the message across with the star, the lion, this new badge, I don't have a tonne of faith they'll get the lamp across either.... Absolutely not a **** chance they'd do a good job in bringing this back

Â