The Villa Villan

sidcow

2 hours ago, sne said:

Use it on kids stuff, plush toys, mugs, chips bags, food courts beer brand, whatever. Add an additional mascot along with Bella. As @Zatman says it's so bad it's good.

Agree that we should not bring Darkie back thou 😬

My Old Man Said blog

I think he’s probably dead by now mate

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

You know.... this guy:

image.png.4ef80447a5c09f0856d183b9408da59a.png

What do people think of him? 

With all the talk of new badge and branding can we make use of this guy? Not on the badge obviously, but as an image. 

I could see him running across the screens or on the website.   

Dunno really, just think he's an interesting character not really used by the club. 

Or maybe best just consigned to history. 

Loved him . As a kid my grandad decorated by room and put various Villa rosettes up and flags etc . He was on a few of them . Old Skool Villa .

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I do  remember this but apparently Villa did a rebranding of it back in 2016:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2013/09/17/from-the-archives-the-origins-of-the-famous-villa-villan

It has no place on our kit or badge but it would work well as an ultra fan type of thing on a big banner or flag. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He most certainly is.

A fair  number of older supporters wear a gold one on a chain

I have several size badges of him

A popular tattoo as well amongst the Steamers

I thought about having it tattooed on me years ago . I have it as a badge and have noticed a few old skool Villa fans with it tattooed on them. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Loved him . As a kid my grandad decorated by room and put various Villa rosettes up and flags etc . He was on a few of them . Old Skool Villa .

Yep. I do remember him from old skool days and he represents a 'Villan' with the play on words etc.

However, I think he's been left in the cupboard for too long for any realistic chance of it working in today's day and age of the game.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep. I do remember him from old skool days and he represents a 'Villan' with the play on words etc.

However, I think he's been left in the cupboard for too long for any realistic chance of it working in today's game?

A case of if you know you know 

Why are people suggesting that some people would be offended by the Villan?

I mean I don't want him anywhere near the kit or badge because it would looks shit. But I'm not sure why there's faux outrage at people being offended by it

• Like 1

It's an interesting historical footnote but I can't see the club bringing it back. They did try a few years ago to sell some of this on merch but I don't think it took off.

It also looks dangerously close to the hamburglar, which sadly you don't see much nowadays. Political correctness gone mad etc.

I think it's up there with when the club tried to re-introduce the bells are ringing chant which died a miserable death.

I doubt this will gain traction as an official mascot.

The problem is he looks like a villain. If there was never any intent that Villan was a misspelling of the word villain, why does he look like one?

I wasn't fussed about him appearing on some merch, but don't think it would be agood to bring him back to the match day, either via tifo or as a mascot 

• Like 3

Â