The Villa Villan

sidcow

In the 1960's my Dad bought my sister a bag from the Villa "shop" (a small hut), with this character printed in blue on a claret background.

That bag is probably worth a fortune now......or maybe not 

Re: the 'darkie' mascot. A Google search repeatedly brings up that photograph, but a couple of years ago I saw a picture of an old cigarette card, from a set illustrating English club mascots, with a 'blackface' cartoon version of the character. Damned if I can find it now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Re: the 'darkie' mascot. A Google search repeatedly brings up that photograph, but a couple of years ago I saw a picture of an old cigarette card, from a set illustrating English club mascots, with a 'blackface' cartoon version of the character. Damned if I can find it now. 

So it was more likely a cigarette advertising campaign than an actual Villa Mascot.  

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

x-darkie-mascot.jpg

Of course the real outrage here is a WOMAN in the crowd. What on earth was going on? Probably even went to pubs unaccompanied too. 

Women..... Know your limits. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

x-darkie-mascot.jpg

It's the imperial Britain, 19th century style. 

On an unrelated note, I often like to think how inappropriate and out of bounds we will seem to the future generations - and how progressive people of 1900 thought they were compared to their grandparents! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

So it was more likely a cigarette advertising campaign than an actual Villa Mascot.  

Having inherited a quite a few of these collections and you'll probably know yourself the cigarette cards were created of various different things, sport, transport, nature etc. one of the sets they released as @mjmooney alludes, would have been focused/dedicated to 'mascots of football teams' (Obviously enough of them to make a card series).

The Villa mascot (in question) was chosen to feature in that card series release alongside the other mascots at the other clubs.

• Like 1

Here's a cigarette card from 1933 from the collection released by Ogden's Cigarettes which was focused on 'Club Nicknames' and features the 'Villa Villain'.

aston-villa-the-villains-1933.jpg

The one representing the 'Sty' in the same collection is quite the eyebrow raiser.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 17:04, nepal_villan said:

Feel we should have an alternate AV or V logo that would appear on the back of shirts, hats, etc.   Believe a Villan mascot would be fun too - certainly pretty unique in the footballing world.

Would be in line with " V Sports  "global brand as well i guess.

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's the imperial Britain, 19th century style. 

On an unrelated note, I often like to think how inappropriate and out of bounds we will seem to the future generations - and how progressive people of 1900 thought they were compared to their grandparents! 

Darkie is from the 50s though mate, that photo is mid/late 50s, which is exactly the same time that people in the Caribbean were being courted with very tempting "public information" films about how awesome it would be for them to come to England and become doctors and lawyers and have their every dream fulfilled in the "motherland" of Empire. Only to be greeted by Darkie and a "No dogs, No Irish, No blacks" sign when looking for somewhere to stay...

As for the Villa Villan, I don't like it in terms of it being part of a future official brand, Might work if being hinted at to promote something merchandise related but not anything strictly football related or club identity or anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Darkie is from the 50s though mate, that photo is mid/late 50s, which is exactly the same time that people in the Caribbean were being courted with very tempting "public information" films about how awesome it would be for them to come to England and become doctors and lawyers and have their every dream fulfilled in the "motherland" of Empire. Only to be greeted by Darkie and a "No dogs, No Irish, No blacks" sign when looking for somewhere to stay...

As for the Villa Villan, I don't like it in terms of it being part of a future official brand, Might work if being hinted at to promote something merchandise related but not anything strictly football related or club identity or anything.

Early 50's given Danny Blanchflower is in the pic and he left us in 54. But still, entirely correct to call out the hypocrisy going on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Here's a cigarette card from 1933 from the collection released by Ogden's Cigarettes which was focused on 'Club Nicknames' and features the 'Villa Villain'.

aston-villa-the-villains-1933.jpg

The one representing the 'Sty' in the same collection is quite the eyebrow raiser.

Just looked and spat out my coffee, Jesus 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2023 at 21:51, sidcow said:

You know.... this guy:

image.png.4ef80447a5c09f0856d183b9408da59a.png

What do people think of him? 

Hmmm? I can't work out what it is he is holding in his right (or possibly left) handish trotter thing ..... and why he is trying to attach it to his hat brim?

.... or why his moustache is so high up his face?

Is he a cyclops?

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Thanks, I thought it was earlier (1910s20s), or worst case pre 2nd world war, which was the beginning of the end of the imperial era.

Many historians argue that mentally and politically 19th century ended in 1918-19 so I assumed it was from that era. 

OK, scrub my earlier post about cigarette cards. It was the small heath one that I'd seen, and misremembered (due to the Villa 'darkie' thing). At least ours didn't carry a razor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â