Pre Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 37 🤯

rjw63

In the kitchen preparing a family roast for later, inlaws coming round, missus has her tunes playing and Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody - comes on. 

Needless to say, I've treated her to the Diaby version while peeling the spuds, so on that, he scores today, we win. 

I wonder if this is one for Cash to play further up, Carlos coming in and Konsa to RB? (Especially with Ramsey out). Could be a bit of a game where both teams cancel each  other out if that was our line up - but might  be one to keep it a bit tighter and nick the odd goal rather  than risking getting too exposed at the back

Edit: Now watch Unai do the complete opposite and pull something counter intuitive and genius out of the bag

Edited by one_ian_taylor

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

So, no Moreno or Ramsey still?

If Zaniolo starts I'd like to see him on the right with McGinn LM.

Gonna have to be at this right from the whistle, longer it stays 0-0 the more they will fancy it.

Think Moreno will be in contention for the bench. Seems we just rushed him back a bit too early but two week break so you'd like to think he'll be involved at some stage in next 7 days.

Not sure we'll see Ramsey again in 2023, very frustrating season for him so far and for us knowing what he can contribute from the left.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I wonder if this is one for Cash to play further up, Carlos coming in and Konsa to RB? (Especially with Ramsey out). Could be a bit of a game where both teams cancel each  other out if that was our line up - but might  be one to keep it a bit tighter and nick the odd goal rather  than risking getting too exposed at the back

Edit: Now watch Unai do the complete opposite and pull something counter intuitive and genius out of the bag

Last time was starting Dendoncker at home to Newcastle. Curveball selection that pretty much no one had predicted on the pre match thread given he'd been warming the bench for months and it worked brilliantly on the day.

Battling v likes of Soucek would suit Donk but I imagine we'll stick to the usual midfield today.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Last time was starting Dendoncker at home to Newcastle. Curveball selection that pretty much no one had predicted on the pre match thread given he'd been warming the bench for months and it worked brilliantly on the day.

Battling v likes of Soucek would suit Donk but I imagine we'll stick to the usual midfield today.

Yeah, interesting  thought  re: Soucek - possibly another thing that lends itself to a third CB to help at set pieces. Would personally stick to our usual midfield 2, but an alternative  might  be to play 2 CBs and push Dougie further forward. 

Think I'd  play: Martinez, Konsa, Carlos, Pau, Digne, Cash, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Diaby, Watkins

On 17/10/2023 at 15:32, Tom13 said:

Looking forward to a Saturday game for once as we have no Europe.....

dissapointed.jpg

Was thinking this earlier, every team that plays in Europe should play on. Saturday at the start of the season and after an international break before they get stuck in the Sunday loop again.

Ridiculous for this game to be on a Sunday, even though it suits me this weekend, could’ve put Brentford vs Wolves in this slot instead.

Anyway, these are shite despite our recent record and Moyes is a footballing fossil. Routine win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When was the last time we beat them? Feels like a long time ago unless I’m forgetting something.

Feel like it’ll be a draw again today.

think Sherwood was our manager

I think we need to forget about the past and focus on today as new set of circumstances. The fact we haven’t beaten them since 2015 has no bearing on the result now, it’s a fresh set of players, a new manager and a new 90 minutes to go at. Our form is currently good, so is West Ham’s but I’ve faith that Unai can mastermind another home win today. It won’t be easy, no games are, but it’s not as big an obstacle as our record against them would try to dictate. 

• Like 1

I think we'll go with the same line up as we did at Wolves with three CB's and Cash and Digne pushing on. Antonio is a handful and Carlos should be up for that battle and Soucek plays further forward than he used to so the extra CB would also be handy with him. They are also a pretty big side so having three CB's will help in that regard.

I have no doubt that we'll score and I'm going for a 3-1 win. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

It’s West Ham, it’s Moyes and it’s Bowen. All three always seem to get unbelievable luck against us. I find it hard to expect anything else today. Bowen to score in a 2-2 draw would be my bet.