Pre Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 37 🤯

rjw63

50 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I was wondering about putting Diaby out on the left wing too. Did he play there for a bit of one of the games earlier this season? He's definitely got the pace to trouble Coufal and to make him and Bowen a bit more reluctant to get forward. McGinn could play second striker then and Bailey on the right, as you say. 
I'd not paid much attention to Paqueta until recently, but he's a really classy player, isn't he? A bit wasted in that deeper, wide role where Moyes puts him, too.

Diaby is key to us winning this. He was off it v Wolves but been good to very good in most of other games so far in the league. Ultimately aswell if we're now signing 50m players these are the game where we need them to step up and win it for us.

I think Pacqueta and Zaniolo will be busying swopping first scorer tips in the tunnel before....

Actually think Kudus is a really good sigining for them aswell although he isn't really starting too often. Sort that can score a goal out of very little as he showed v Newcastle so that's also crucial to how Moyes sets up.

Aside from CF with Ings passed it they have real strength in depth with Kudus, Benrahma and Fornals all probable subs so no reason they won't have a good europa run and also challenge for top 8 this year.

• Like 1

So far, Zaniolo withdrawn from squad so no injuries there. Tielemans game abandoned due to terrorism so no injury there. Cash not making the Poland eleven, good news for us there... Ollie survived his start got his goal, and will now presumably be back on bench duty tonight so, need him to survive the 3.5 minutes he's given later on, and hope Scotland realise burning out Mcginn is not conducive to his form long term and don't waste him in a friendly. 🤞

• Like 1

Not looking forward to the set pieces against JWP and Antonio to be honest. And with Bowen, they'll be winning plenty of them. 

I think we need to blow them away in the first half like we've done many a time, to get a win here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rodders said:

So far, Zaniolo withdrawn from squad so no injuries there. Tielemans game abandoned due to terrorism so no injury there. Cash not making the Poland eleven, good news for us there... Ollie survived his start got his goal, and will now presumably be back on bench duty tonight so, need him to survive the 3.5 minutes he's given later on, and hope Scotland realise burning out Mcginn is not conducive to his form long term and don't waste him in a friendly. 🤞

Watkins stays on bench, mcginn likewise. Good good

On 17/10/2023 at 10:41, oishiiniku_uk said:

I was wondering about putting Diaby out on the left wing too. Did he play there for a bit of one of the games earlier this season?

Diaby hasn't played left side for us yet. Certainly hasn't had it as his default position from the start. Whether he drifted there at times or after a substitution I can't recall (yes I keep stats on this nerdiest of things).

Just now, BOF said:

Diaby hasn't played left side for us yet. Certainly hasn't had it as his default position from the start. Whether he drifted there at times or after a substitution I can't recall (yes I keep stats on this nerdiest of things).

I thought maybe he got pushed out there at the end of one of the games? Might be mis-remembering though.

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I thought maybe he got pushed out there at the end of one of the games? Might be mis-remembering though.

That's entirely possible. I don't record all shifts within a game.

21 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Obviously is him powering late on for the third goal v Palace from that side.

I think if he's given licence to get into that area he'll cause Coufal a fair amount of issues.

We're light there now with the injuries to Ramsey and Buendia and Zaniolo obviously isn't in a great place mentally so can't see him starting so think it will just be Diaby and Bailey alongside Ollie.

A typical sample from a Hammers forum on the upcoming match. You get all kinds of views, as we do here, but this one struck me as sort the "median sentiment" based on what I saw on a quick look-through.

Tricky game this one, they've won 10 in a row at home, scoring plenty of goals in the process. Shame they didn't stick with Gerrard really.

Having said that, we have a great record against them in recent years and their attacking style and high line is perfect for the way we play. They've recently beaten Newcastle and Brighton easily enough but we won't commit as many players going forward and we can pick them off on the break, especially if their goalie (who I rate highly) has another poor game against us.

I can see a 2-2 draw but won't be surprised if we edge it, especially if Kudus gets 25-30 mins in the second half. Should be a good game.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

A typical sample from a Hammers forum on the upcoming match. You get all kinds of views, as we do here, but this one struck me as sort the "median sentiment" based on what I saw on a quick look-through.

Obnoxious fan base.

I would never care to go out of my way and read what they have to say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Apart from the last paragraph which is just a prediction I think the rest is spot on. 

• Like 1

I worry about Antonio's strength against a player like Pau, if I were Antonio, I'd be spending my time getting at him.

If we're as ambitious as we think we are though, we should be looking at 3 points in this game, especially at home, bad record or not.

One that comes could go either way, but I'll say 3-1 Villa, which would be LURRRRRVVEEEELEEEEEE.

• Like 3