Pre Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 37 🤯

rjw63

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It surprises me we didn't go in for him in summer 2019 given our transfer model that summer.

He moved to West Ham in the January for 22m so same price as Wes. Maybe DS (or Suso) didn't want him, maybe we didn't have the finances to sign two forwards for 20m +? Maybe he didn't think he'd have a chance of meeting Dani Dyer from the bright lights of Aston......

I always thought that summer we signed one defender too many (proven correct with Gulibert and Engels both falling out of favour by the xmas of that season) and were really short on attackers given Kodj and Kienan were the main back ups to Wes.

Only thing you could say is Grealish was king on the left at that stage and this is where Bowen's played his best football for West Ham. They've tried him more central in recent times but not sure he'd have done that well if we'd got him and immediately put him at CF.

I think it goes to show the level we had of that era....shows how far we have come.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I think it goes to show the level we had of that era....shows how far we have come.

Really important we keep this home form going, foot on the pedal from the word go and at them before they know what's what. 

That fast 'educated' attacking football that we as supporters love to see especially at a packed VP.

I'm fairly confident, and why shouldn't I be?

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this will be a real test.

two years ago when they qualified for europe via the league, they tended to play a low block and hit teams quickly on the break, which led to a lot of very good results for them.

last year i saw a good article about how they tried to play a more possession/control based style and it just didnt work (in the PL).

It seems this year they have gone back to the low(ish) possession, low block and hitting teams on the break again, which tbh makes them dangerous, especially to the way we seem to play under Emery.

added to that, we always seem to make a meal out of playing Spam since we have been promoted, a few draws, a few losses, have we actually beaten them since we came back up?

edit: i just checked, the answer is no, we havent beaten them since we got promoted, we have played them 8 times since promotion, Won - 0, Drawn - 3, Lost - 5.

the last time we beat West Ham was May 2015.

Their style hasn't suited our style over the last 10 years or so.

The last time was a fortunate 0-1 to them with a deflected goal for Fornals, where we was unlucky on the day... but I seem to remember the day we give the centre of park to Rice, and they stuck 4 past us.

They are a bit like Wolves for me, where as we like a more open game, and less physical endeavor.

I don't like being unlucky, where teams just scrap a goal off us, and we provide the entertaining spectacle.....I want to win this one, even if its 1-0.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Really important we keep this home form going, foot on the pedal from the word go and at them before they know what's what. 

That fast 'educated' attacking football that we as supporters love to see especially at a packed VP.

I'm fairly confident, and why shouldn't I be?

I'm all for it sheepy, but we can get caught in transition as the Newcastle and Liverpool games highlighted.

When we do.....the goals conceded seem so simple, so benevolent, so gift worthy.

We all know, we can't win every game and mistakes do get made by all teams.....but we have to be wary of the simplicity of the conceding.

If we are to lose, we have to make it so, that it has been a hard fought contest, they have had to endure to win.....conceding sloppy goals is no basis for future progress, and does not dampen the enthusiasm of teams, when we meet in the future.

We cannot go gungho for this very reason.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm all for it sheepy, but we can get caught in transition as the Newcastle and Liverpool games highlighted.

When we do.....the goals conceded seem so simple, so benevolent, so gift worthy.

We all know, we can't win every game and mistakes do get made by all teams.....but we have to be wary of the simplicity of the conceding.

If we are to lose, we have to make it so, that it has been a hard fought contest, they have had to endure to win.....conceding sloppy goals is no basis for future progress, and does not dampen the enthusiasm of teams, when we meet in the future.

We cannot go gungho for this very reason.

But those defeats were away to two very good sides. As shown against Brighton we're a side to be feared at VP and that's how it should be. If it's not broken. Keep the faith. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

But those defeats were away to two very good sides. As shown against Brighton we're a side to be feared at VP and that's how it should be. If it's not broken. Keep the faith. 

They are very good sides and losing was not the issue.....it was the manner of those loses, and the mechanics of the games that led to them....much like the Wolves game, where they didn't fear us or Everton in the cup....we have to be on our guard against complacency creeping in....We are on this run at home, because we have deserved to be, we have to keep those levels up.

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Bless Him.

• Like 1

Current PL table based on when we last beat them in the PL:

Spurs - 2023

Arsenal - 2021

Man City - 2013

Liverpool - 2020

Brighton - 2023

West Ham - 2015

Newcastle - 2023

Palace -2023

Man United - 2022

Chelsea - 2023

Fulahm - 2023

Forest - 2023

Wolves - 2020

Brentford - 2022

Everton - 2023

Luton - N/A

Burnley - 2023

Bournemouth - 2023

Sheffield United - 2020

I mean FFS. Just ridiculous. Literally the only other team we've not been able to beat since coming back up is Man City.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Spurs - 2023

Arsenal - 2021

Man City - 2013

Liverpool - 2020

Brighton - 2023

West Ham - 2015

Newcastle - 2023

Palace -2023

Man United - 2022

Chelsea - 2023

Fulahm - 2023

Forest - 2023

Wolves - 2020

Brentford - 2022

Everton - 2023

Luton - N/A

Burnley - 2023

Bournemouth - 2023

Sheffield United - 2020

I mean FFS. Just ridiculous. Literally the only other team we've not been able to beat since coming back up is Man City.

Yes so its time we beat them

3 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Jarrod Bowen signed a 7 year deal at hammers last week apparently, he will be motivated for this game so we need to match that motivation, ollie signed his contract recently so who is more motivated!?

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Bury them, for Colton.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mantis said:

Spurs - 2023

Arsenal - 2021

Man City - 2013

Liverpool - 2020

Brighton - 2023

West Ham - 2015

Newcastle - 2023

Palace -2023

Man United - 2022

Chelsea - 2023

Fulahm - 2023

Forest - 2023

Wolves - 2020

Brentford - 2022

Everton - 2023

Luton - N/A

Burnley - 2023

Bournemouth - 2023

Sheffield United - 2020

I’m more amazed we actually managed to beat anyone in 2015! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m more amazed we actually managed to beat anyone in 2015! 

It was the end of the 2014/15 season under Sherwood where we did win a few games tbf.

It's just absurd though. Over the past decade we've actually beaten Man United more than we have West Ham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

West Ham - 2015

Superb bit of trivia that. Just looked up our squad for that match in 2015:

Given

Bacuna

Okore

Vlaar

Richardson

Cleverley

Westwood

Delph

N’Zogbia

Benteke

Grealish

Subs

Guzan

Weimann

Gabby

Cole

Senderos

Hutton

Sanchez

West Ham’s team was hilariously bad. I’d forgotten they were managed by Big Sam at that point.

41 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It was the end of the 2014/15 season under Sherwood where we did win a few games tbf.

It's just absurd though. Over the past decade we've actually beaten Man United more than we have West Ham.

Such a strange record, they’ve been nothing special in that time, we’ve been poor and then good, but you’d expect us to have beaten them at least once. Quite a few draws from memory. 
Ah yeah I remember the Sherwood run-in where he seemed to actually have watched a football match before… then we realised he was a charlatan! 😆