Jareth

Interesting that the Opta 'supercomputer' now gives us 4.1% chance of winning the title, which is the same as Arsenal and more than Liverpool at the start of the season. We've come a long way, baby.

I also like us now being bracketed as 'more obvious contenders' for the CL places:

The supercomputer gives Spurs a 13.3% chance of finishing inside the top four, behind the more obvious contenders of Man City (99%), Liverpool (97.4%), Arsenal (94.3%) and Villa (78.9%).

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/12/who-will-win-the-premier-league-in-2023-24/

59 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Interesting that the Opta 'supercomputer' now gives us 4.1% chance of winning the title, which is the same as Arsenal and more than Liverpool at the start of the season. We've come a long way, baby.

I also like us now being bracketed as 'more obvious contenders' for the CL places:

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/12/who-will-win-the-premier-league-in-2023-24/

Love the super computer!

It's almost as if it looks at the table as it stands and super computes that will be the way it ends.

It's so much more than a normal computer!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Emery and McGinn know this better than anyone. The more you start to believe, the harder it becomes to do it.

Play it game by game, and take a look again in April.

Exactly, the most thing I hate is reading about the next couple of fixtures. Just think of next game as a cup final and hope other results goes our way. Enjoy the ride. For me I’ve done this during the promotion season, staying up season, last season and finally this season. I’ve been laughed at almost for all, especially when I used to discuss other teams results (I was targeting Bournemouth during the staying up season, and Spurs were one of my targets last season but people didn’t care just because they were far…and go on).

This season, each team from 1 to Brighton, then added Chelsea losing points its a benefit for us. 
If Chelsea woke up and it’s late, they’ll help taking points of teams (they’ve already done to the four teams around us).

If we won next game, Brighton and Utd won aswell, we go first while keeping distance with them. We have to look up but also look down just incase. Take it week by week. 

We also need to put the other two competitions in our mind, how to rptate without having an issue. Emery dealt really well so far, I think the only decision that could be arguable was playing Zaniolo at Bournemouth, Dendonker could’ve been better assuming Ramsey isn’t ready. Now I think Ramsey has to start against Brentford, without Luiz it will be really difficult. We have to find ways to play away. Our approach against City and Arsenal could be the way to do so. 

Treat each game week as if it was the final week (unless when players fearing yellows, has to be adjusted with schedule, same with rotation).

• Like 2

If we drop points against Brentford, which isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility, this thread will skedaddle, and talk of winning the title will seem like a distant dream within a dream dreamt in another life long ago.

44 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Emery and McGinn know this better than anyone. The more you start to believe, the harder it becomes to do it.

Play it game by game, and take a look again in April.

Is that really how belief works, or just what they're saying to remain realistic and keep the fans grounded?

Because I would have rather thought that many sportspeople are rather elevated by belief and carried by that momentum to reach higher levels.

And I'd be looking at that fixture list thinking if we get a result at Brentford, especially if it's a win, we've got a great chance of going top of the league (albeit perhaps only briefly) on Friday 22nd. Then I'd be thinking another result at Old Trafford and we have a good chance of starting the year top as well.

And then I'd be looking at the schedule up to April and thinking we could even pull ahead of the pack here. And if we could do that, we'd then have the extra belief to go into those next games against our rivals and a tough last two months of the season in a great position and dull of confidence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

If we drop points against Brentford, which isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility, this thread will skedaddle, and talk of winning the title will seem like a distant dream within a dream dreamt in another life long ago.

Hardly - Arsenal are against Brighton, Liverpool have a derby with Utd, then they play each other while we are at home to Sheffield Utd and City are missing the gameweek for the Club World Cup. We could lose to Brentford and still be 2nd or 3rd at Christmas.

There are no easy games in The Premier League especially away from Villa Park.

Certain teams have that aura of let's try and keep the score down and are beaten before they walk on the pitch.

We are not one of those yet so every game will be a battle.

As Unai says one game at a time first let's make sure we qualify top in the Europa League.

Thar gives us a game less so it all adds to the tiredness in the legs.

We have not won away at Brentford since 1953 so 70 years!  If The Don puts that to bed I will start to believe!

Just now, S-Platt said:

There are no easy games in The Premier League especially away from Villa Park.

Certain teams have that aura of let's try and keep the score down and are beaten before they walk on the pitch.

We are not one of those yet so every game will be a battle.

As Unai says one game at a time first let's make sure we qualify top in the Europa League.

Thar gives us a game less so it all adds to the tiredness in the legs.

We have not won away at Brentford since 1953 so 70 years!  If The Don puts that to bed I will start to believe!

So, in 2 attempts?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

4 defeats and a draw to be precise 😜 since 2016 in The Championship.

Doesn't sound so extreme as having not won at Brentford for 70 years though!

It's a slight annoyance to me when media make a statement that a club haven't beaten a team for an age without qualifying that they've barely played in that period. I mean, we haven't beaten Walsall in the league since 1930 but there's a good reason for it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Love the super computer!

It's almost as if it looks at the table as it stands and super computes that will be the way it ends.

It's so much more than a normal computer!

It uses data to project, before the season it had less relevant data. So yeah with 16 games played it's predictions are likely to reflect what has happened on the pitch for the most part espeiclaly since there is 16 games less of variance as well.