Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Went to the cinema to watch the creator instead, assumed I would come out to see us victorious but we’ve ended up losing, nightmare

god knows what the powers that be at VP thought by selling the north stand to the scousers, their fans probably gave the team a boost or advantage, we shot ourselves in the foot with that one.

what was the attendance tonight? 

For how many they had they were pretty quiet until they went 2.0 up.  Our fans were ok tonight . It weren’t announced, but looked less than 30k . Proper in the trenches performance by Everton that was, they fully deserved the win .

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think in the first half we had too many passengers and second half when we had our better players on they looked really jaded. Hope he can freshen then up for Saturday or Brighton will spank us.

We were well on top at points in the first half... but were just taking it so damn easy like it was a walk in the park,

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

“This match shouldn’t be our priority because we’re gonna lose to ManCity anyway.“

Oh, wait. 🙄

We should have started a much stronger squad. Not rocket science. 

We have to rotate. Not rocket science.

• Like 1

Very similar to the Stevenage game. The scoreline, us gifting goals, our attitude to domestic cups etc.

Its difficult as a fan to differentiate between league and cup games. I want us to win equally in every competition. Its a shame how devalued the domestic cups have become. Not just Villa but teams across the board clearly not fussed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The team Emery picked tonight was more than good enough to have beaten Everton. Six of those who started tonight will start on Saturday, nine of those who started the 2nd half will start on Saturday.

It wasn't selection that cost us that game, it was players under performing all over the pitch until the last 20 odd minutes. Why that was the case I don't know. Perhaps, as seemed the case against Legia Warsaw, we went into the game almost expecting to win and perhaps the fact we had won 10 on the bounce at home contributed to that.

I do think some of us need to take the injuries we also have into account. Moreno, Ramsey, Mings, Buendia are all starters in our best 11 and they have played about 40 mins this season between them.  Those players being out, and Carlos, with the heavy amount of fixtures we have had, including players being away on international duty, has put more of a burden on the rest of the squad and I think it has shown at times. 

It is what it is though and whilst I am disappointed to lose tonight overall Emery has presided over a decent start to the season and perhaps we'll look back on tonight as a blessing in disguise in the grand scheme of things. Roll on Saturday.

What I would give to have those four in the squad fit and playing. It’s basically the spine of our team and a lot of the attacking  intent. I’m amazed we are going as well as we are in the league to be honest.

• Like 1

A dreadful performance from too many.  Took us until 6 minutes from the end to wake up and increase the tempo a bit. We look slow and lethargic compared to last season.

Tielemans, Dendoncker and I'm afraid Diaby were especially awful, although the latter was making runs first half that no-one seemed to want to try and pick out.  Duran was outmuscled and dominated by Keane and didn't make enough runs.   Bailey started brightly but got injured.  Zaniolo started brightly then disappeared.  McGinn is not a left back.  

I thought Konsa did really well a few times tonight, Watkins made a difference by adding some movement and runs up front, Luiz did some good things but should have set the tempo faster. 

We got what we deserved.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Beginning to wish I had not bought my special deal of three home Europe games at VP....sigh

I bought those. 2 of the last 3 games I've attended are tonight and the Stevenage game. If anyone superstitious wants to buy the Europe tickets off me, I'll part with them for x2 face value :P

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just not playing well at the minute . I think it’s going to be a long hard season , and very frustrating. The injuries are killing us, that’s the main reason. 

And yet we are 6th in the league and basking in our first European group matches since 2008. It has been a very strange start.

It goes back to squad depth and how much the owners are willing to pay up to make us genuinely competitive on all fronts.

And it is about managing expectations after last year's run. I think it will be more impressive if we finish 7th this season IMO after the injuries we have got.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I think Dyche done a number on him, pressed high whilst being very tight at the back meaning there was nothing on, at best slowed us down to a snails pace at worst caused us to hang ourselves with defensive mistakes

Paired with a flat performance by the players, the only way to break their set up would have been far far better movement

Everton looked like they'd learned from us battering them

I didn't see much difference in Everton's setup from our last time out. We just didn't have the quality this time around. I usually don't blame the players but it's becoming quite obvious with our injuries Unai can only go about 3-4 deep into the bench for starting 11 quality. That's a problem when you have a European campaign and the league to manage. Let alone add in the domestic cups. 

West Ham won conference by completely punting on every other competition. They were far from competitive in the league and went out early in both cups.  Hopefully Emery can find a system that works but so far no good. Probably will have to strengthen in January if this trend continues.