A thread about how dense Jordan Peterson is

Chindie

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

His rather famous lobster interview with Cathy Newman was the peak of his fame for me,

What he signifies to me is the cult of celebrity, like Stevo said a stopped clock and all that. But He definitely realised how much money he could be raking in writing self help books for disaffected youths and his zealotry is what is most offputting to me. He once made a perfectly salient point in front of some media around potential legislative changes in Canada and primed himself well against modern gotcha journalist type interviews. But what I mean about the celebrity bit is, that doesn't mean one has to follow everything they do or say. Just because he makes a good point about X doesn't mean all his points are well thought out or constructed. Or Vice-versa, just because he's talking bollox about Y doesn't mean his cathy newman interview wasn't very funny.

....So, you're saying....

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Didn’t spend most of 2019 eating nothing but steak and anti anxiety medication?

Allegedly.

Nobody seems to really know why he ended up in a Russian clinic. It seems to have related to a drug addiction but the exact details have been obfuscated by his family and his cronies, to protect his reputation. By all accounts though whatever it was he was not a good way, he came out the other side even more crackpot.

Speaking of the steak diet, that's his daughter's grift. Peddling an all meat diet to cure everything. Her qualifications? None.

Still, her dad pushes his intellectualism in all fields when he's only qualified in a very narrow field of psychology, so it runs in the family.

• Like 1

He’s helped a lot of people and in certain fields he knows what he’s on about. He’s experienced in some of the things he talks about like depression and addiction. I agree with Chindie he does tend to jump into other fields where he’s not as knowledgeable, but he is a very intelligent man and I also find him compassionate. I’m a big fan of his. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Compassionate is an interesting catch all to use for him :D 

I do find him compassionate, but hey, that’s just my take on him . If we all thought the same thing damn the world would be one boring place . I’m not saying he’s perfect, who is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He has found an audience of weirdos who have bought into his shit and they really eat it up. I dont believe he actually believes what he is telling people

His followers on the other hand are some of the biggest clowns about. Same type that listen to other muppets like Joe Rogan, Andrew Tate and Alex Jones as gurus

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has found an audience of weirdos who have bought into his shit and they really eat it up. I dont believe he actually believes what he is telling people

His followers on the other hand are some of the biggest clowns about. Same type that listen to other muppets like Joe Rogan, Andrew Tate and Alex Jones as gurus

Well I can’t do Andrew Tate, Alex Jones and only Rogan in small doses. Jordan Peterson is a few classes above so that stereotype is certainly wrong. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Curious as to which fair few videos you’ve agreed with, mind. 

The one that springs to mind to me is the difference between equal opportunity and equal outcome. Which was essentially him arguing that yes everyone should have an equal opportunity to do whatever profession they want, but that equal outcome isn't the end goal.

ie if you need to hire 100 engineers you shouldn't hire 50 men and 50 women. You should give everyone the same opportunity and hire the best 100 people, regardless of sex.

The logic being that inherent differences in gender/sex will mean different sized pools of talent. If you had 1,000 male engineers apply and 75 women, you shouldn't be hiring 50 women (bar a big coincidence)

But like I said, stopped clock and all that. He's mainly a massive word removed

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Go.

Seems like a right-wing figure whose popularity has been driven by millennial / zoomer incels. I've worked in academia for decades, and while there can be excesses, at times, of single-issue "thought-policing" and sometimes absurd instances of "cancel culture (one infamous example)," in general, academia in the United States, at least, is a gentle, thoughtful, tolerant place that seeks to allow and cultivate a diversity of opinions and peoples. I work hard to make help students from a variety of political and cultural perspectives feel included and unimpeded from sharing openly. Jordan Peterson has a very negative, fear-based perspective, from what I can tell. He's a good example of  rhetoric actually conceived as click-bait and trolling. Quality discussions don't need to be "provocative" or part of flame wars to be meaningful and important, of course. 

Oberlin College, known as a bastion of progressive politics, said on Thursday that it would pay $36.59 million to a local bakery that said it had been defamed and falsely accused of racism after a worker caught a Black student shoplifting.

That 2016 dispute with Gibson’s Bakery resulted in a yearslong legal fight and resonated beyond the small college town in Ohio, turning into a bitter national debate over criminal justice, race, free speech and whether the college had failed to hold students to account.

The decision by the college’s board of trustees, announced Thursday, came nine days after the Ohio Supreme Court had declined to hear the college’s appeal of a lower-court ruling.

“Truth matters,” Lee E. Plakas, the lawyer for the Gibson family, said in an email Thursday. “David, supported by a principled community, can still beat Goliath.”

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Say what you will about him, but he's not an idiot. He's definitely become more and more extreme over the years and he's taken a lot of his audience with him.

The few times I've watched him in an interview on TV, I've almost found myself come away temporarily quite sympathetic to him (until I give my head a wobble and remember who he is) for a couple of reasons, he keeps his more hateful rhetoric to when he's speaking to his own kind, but also, he generally seems to go into those interviews much better prepared than the journalists who speak to him. He knows his position inside out and is prepared to go toe to toe with people that aren't well prepared to challenge him, which has lent him some credibility.

Edited by Davkaus

51 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I do find him compassionate, but hey, that’s just my take on him . If we all thought the same thing damn the world would be one boring place . I’m not saying he’s perfect, who is?

Compassionate people are generally compassionate to all sorts of people. He is not. He might be compassionate to people he deems worthy of his compassion but to me that's not a positive quality I'd look up to. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

Compassionate people are generally compassionate to all sorts of people. He is not. He might be compassionate to people he deems worthy of his compassion but to me that's not a positive quality I'd look up to. 

I think you’re asking for perfection there, he’s not Jesus Christ 

Â