A thread about how dense Jordan Peterson is

Chindie

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never heard of him until today. 

Sadly, I have.

Too many of my interests have elements that like to flirt with, or outright jump on bed with, him and his ilk. Sadly there's whole cottage industries of 'critics' in the pop culture sphere that have created their own little ecosystem of decrying things as woke and pointing at Peterson and co as the 'intellectualism' behind it (and then you're on the road to the algorithm pumping you full of conservatism of varying sorts).

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just read a few of his latest tweets.

There’s some strong hate in that man’s heart. All there is to work out is whether its genuine hate or a route to money.

Both.

He's undoubtedly a grifter. He found out how much more lucrative espousing these views was when he went from a nobody uni lecturer to a lauded commentariat star, so kept walking that path, but it started from real hatred.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Is he the fella, who said he would refer to people as he or she (respecting how they categorise themselves) but nothing else?

No, he’s the guy that decided if he says youre a he or a she then that’s what you are. Big difference. 

I think the best descriptor of him was The stupid persons smart person. He is wise as he knows what triggers people, what makes him money and how to sound intelligent enough so as the stupid people, think he is the smart person. All the time its basically right wing talking points. anti climate, anti trans, anti same sex parenting, that sort of thing. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We live in a world where everyone knows they're being lied to by the people in power - anyone that comes and dangles some sort of explanation for that is grasped desperately by people wanting to make sense of a chaotic world - there's so much room in that for anyone to make money that it's almost surprising there aren't more people doing it.

I've seen Mr Peterson a couple of times on things - I find him disagreeable.

Hadn’t really thought of it quite like that.

In the Wild West of modern life, people can ride in to town with their proven by royal appointment snake oil cure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, he’s the guy that decided if he says youre a he or a she then that’s what you are. Big difference. 

Not according to the BBC news article in 2016, which, for some reason I cannot get to quote 

An easy starting point for some or a wild, biased take-down for others. This Graun article will fill some gaps for those in the dark.

How dangerous is Jordan B Peterson, the rightwing professor who 'hit a hornets' nest'?

Since his confrontation with Cathy Newman, the Canadian academic’s book has become a bestseller. But his arguments are riddled with ‘pseudo-facts’ and conspiracy theories

:snip:

Dr Peterson says he does not object to trans people or to choosing which traditional pronoun they prefer. 

"If the standard transsexual person wants to be regarded as he or she, my sense is I'll address you according to the part that you appear to be playing," he said

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37875695.amp

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That’s the important bit of your quote

Is he not implying that although he does not agree with transgender, he is courteous enough to respect and address the people in the gender they prefer or am I missing something? 

Â