A thread about how dense Jordan Peterson is

Chindie

He was involved in a furore last year when he commented on a magazine featuring a plus size model in a bikini or lingerie feature stating something along the lines of she's not attractive she's fat.

He's just a prick. 

Incidentally this all came about after his time in a Russian hospital where he seems to have dropped the veneer of politeness in some forums. He's also started crying in interviews a lot (discussing things with religious allegory iirc) which is slightly bizarre and suggests he might be openly mentally unwell.

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I studied political philosophy at university, so I’m relatively familiar, although by no means an expert … this “classical liberal” thing that keeps doing the rounds on the alt right “critical thinker” circuit is largely anachronistic nonsense that cherrypicks bits and pieces from different writers where convenient to an argument.

I think they like using the term “classical liberalism” because it implies society took a wrong turn somewhere, and that they are returning to first principles.

In reality, the flaws and contradictions in Mill or Smith or whoever someone wants to lump in (you see Friedman too) have been discussed at length in mainstream academia ever since … and that’s not to say these guys weren’t great thinkers - for sure they were geniuses - but idolising specific people instead of addressing their ideas and the critiques of their ideas is why we end up with stuff like the cult of Peterson.

The problem is that nowadays “classical liberalism” tends to be a euphemism for a kind of alpha male libertarianism, more in line with Ayn Rand than with J S Mill. It gets caught up in the same contradictions as libertarianism - ie societies and communities *do* exist, the state / public sector provably delivers some things more efficiently than unfettered free markets, and there is a social contract that needs administering through democratic institutions and means we have a mix of rights and obligations as citizens.

Lobster mating behaviour hasn’t massively helped me work through those ideas in my own mind, but as I said, I’m not an expert.

Are you our Good Will Hunting poster - you just needed to end with “How do you like them Apples”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Amusing but fake?

Indeed.. Too funny not to post though. The original is him having a pop at an LGBT solidarity tweet.

I believe he does have some history with the Muppets which also makes it funnier.

On 19/09/2023 at 14:58, Chindie said:

I listen to the Knowledge Fight podcast, which covers him and his shit and debunks basically everything that comes out of his mouth in an amusing fashion.

The episodes where they got access to the deposition videos of him being questioned over his and his company's horrendous actions over Sandy Hook are gold. Extended sessions of a hate filled word removed being skewered by a series of lawyers who had true professional disdain for him and his company and it's staff.

Do you know the exact episodes? Sounds like something I'd like to listen to

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you know the exact episodes? Sounds like something I'd like to listen to

There's 14 deposition episodes, some better than others. They all are titled 'Formulaic Objections', beginning with episode 279. The best one iirc is Formulaic Objections 4 episode 641, which is Alex and one of his underlings who barely has human emotions. Highlights of the earlier episodes include Alex having a pompous lawyer who simply won't follow the rules, and Alex having a staff member who thinks he's really clever, but comes across like he shouldn't leave the building without a responsible adult.

One of these episodes is actually a deposition of Roger Stone in a completely separate matter, but is so funny should be listened to anyway. Roger Stone and a US senator who also is a lawyer who is very litigious and doesn't like Roger at all, a feeling which it is quickly evident is mutual.

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â