January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Aston Villa

What do they need? Villa will target a new forward and right-back, with perhaps another attacking option as well. Unai Emery wants competition for Matty Cash and more firepower to assist Ollie Watkins. Villa could also prioritise a new goalkeeper as an injury to Emiliano Martinez would leave them short.

Who could they sign? They have some scope for spending yet their hopes of signing a long-term Emery target, Nico Williams, are over after the winger signed a new contract with Athletic Bilbao. A surprise target could be RB Leipzig attacker Yannick Eduardo.

Who could they sell? There is growing interest in Jhon Duran, the forward, amid alleged friction behind the scenes with Emery. Villa will also consider the departures [either permanently or on loan] of Bertrand Traore, Calum Chambers and Tim Iroegbunam.
John Percy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/01/01/january-transfer-window-arsenal-man-utd-chelsea-liverpool/

Big window for us for 2 reasons.

1) a couple of shrewd additions might just help to secure Top 4/5 at least.

2) where we are in the table, we are probably quite attractive to a higher level of player, certainly more attractive than we were 6 or 12 months ago. 

I think we should “twist” and go for 2-3 players, if we can get them, at least as good as what we have in the first team.
not necessarily for  money, but hopefully in the mould of Moreno. So not just back ups, players that can genuinely compete.

Worst case, even if we do collapse second half of the season, we will be in a good place to have another go next year. 

• Like 1

I think we could see us move for an English keeper or maybe a youngish talent from the Championship.

With a full 25 Man Squad, 8 should be homegrown, according to The Athletic we only registered 23 players and 7 of them were "homegrown":

Emi, Cash, Mings, Konsa, Chambers, Ramsey, Watkins

So unless we sell one of those (Chambers) if we want to add 2 players to the squad, at least one of them will need to be homegrown. If we want to add more than 2 players, we'll need to either

• unregister one currently registered (I.e. ending a loan like Zaniolo or Lenglet)
  • Sell one and ensure atleast one is homegrown (2 if we sell Chambers)
  • Buy an U21 player who doesn't yet need to be registered

Easiest way out of it would be to sell Olsen and buy a homegrown keeper

Edited by HalfTimePost

Though suppose selling / not registering Bertrand Traore is an option, as is not registering Mings for the 2nd half of the season if he's unlikely to be ready before end of the season.

So there's ways around it, but I think it's likely we sign a homegrown keeper either now or the summer, particularly with many of our Top Youngsters that would have padded out our Homegrown numbers being sold, we need to add some bodies in that department

Edited by HalfTimePost

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for West Brom's Josh Griffiths, if we want a young keeper, our academy seemingly rates him very highly, and has a good amount of senior experience for his age, another possibility is Plymouth's Michael Cooper, who is a little older, but at twenty-four still young for a goalkeeper, it's long been rumoured amongst their fans that we have an interest in him, and eventually might do a deal with them involving Azaz.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichW said:

First time I’ve ventured into this thread and probably one of the last. 

Hopefully last January will have taught us that Emery won’t sign anybody for the sake of it. I only expect the club to sign a new RB, a Moreno type signing where they are relatively cheap. The current squad has been good enough to get Villa top 2 in the league after 20 games, it’s gonna be a very quiet window. 

Pretty sure last January we had a whole month of Guendouzi rumours and it turned out that nothing was even close/club didn’t bid? Time has gone quick!

I disagree, the current squad got us to 2nd, a slightly better squad might keep us there. 

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The "huge amount to spend" is this based on anything or a hunch. I see others quoting ffp challenges. 

Yes I used the figures villa published for the 21/22 season, estimated the increases in revenue for last year and this year based on the European prize money and finishing 7th instead of 14th. I also estimated a 10-15 mil salary increase each year. And then calculated roughly what the amortisation of the players we have signed have been over this 3 year financial period and how much revenue we have received from selling players.

And the point is that we've either not lost anything or only a small amount over this financial period so we could spend around. I can't get to the comment where I calculated the exact figures atm, but we basically can lose 15 mil and the 90 mil of the owners money this window. 

• Thanks 2

Assuming we do bring in a RB. Juanlu from Sevilla could be an option. A bit more a winger, but if we are looking for more attacking qualities there, he could offer a bit more than Cash and still quite young. 

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think we could see us move for an English keeper or maybe a youngish talent from the Championship.

With a full 25 Man Squad, 8 should be homegrown, according to The Athletic we only registered 23 players and 7 of them were "homegrown":

Emi, Cash, Mings, Konsa, Chambers, Ramsey, Watkins

So unless we sell one of those (Chambers) if we want to add 2 players to the squad, at least one of them will need to be homegrown. If we want to add more than 2 players, we'll need to either

• unregister one currently registered (I.e. ending a loan like Zaniolo or Lenglet)
  • Sell one and ensure atleast one is homegrown (2 if we sell Chambers)
  • Buy an U21 player who doesn't yet need to be registered

Easiest way out of it would be to sell Olsen and buy a homegrown keeper

Surely Iroegbunam is homegrown?

We were heavily linked with Michael Cooper, the young keeper at Argyle but he’s still recovering from injury.

Big prospect though. 

I’d wait until the summer and look to take Trafford off Burnley (if he would be willing to play understudy to Emi for a couple of seasons)

57 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for West Brom's Josh Griffiths, if we want a young keeper, our academy seemingly rates him very highly, and has a good amount of senior experience for his age, another possibility is Plymouth's Michael Cooper, who is a little older, but at twenty-four still young for a goalkeeper, it's long been rumoured amongst their fans that we have an interest in him, and eventually might do a deal with them involving Azaz.

Griffiths was heavily linked to Newcastle in the summer, very highly rated young keeper. It's true that we have a number of young goalkeepers of our own, but it might be that we just don't think any of them are ready to be No.2 yet, Sam Proctor is probably the highest rated of the lot, and he only just turned seventeen

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes I used the figures villa published for the 21/22 season, estimated the increases in revenue for last year and this year based on the European prize money and finishing 7th instead of 14th. I also estimated a 10-15 mil salary increase each year. And then calculated roughly what the amortisation of the players we have signed have been over this 3 year financial period and how much revenue we have received from selling players.

And the point is that we've either not lost anything or only a small amount over this financial period so we could spend around. I can't get to the comment where I calculated the exact figures atm, but we basically can lose 15 mil and the 90 mil of the owners money this window. 

Found my post: I commented on reddit in more detail but I can't find it. But this is a Tldr essentially. 

On 18/12/2023 at 11:22, MotoMkali said:

We can actually spend a fairly ridiculous amount. 

In this 3 year period ending at the end of this year we have probably a Revenue-wage gap of about 115 ish million, our amortisation over this period is 275 million pounds, but we have sold 206 million worth of players. You are allowed up to 105 mil in losses over a 3 year period. So we are probably allowed to spend something ridiculous in January. 

The issue is it remaining on the books whilst the grealish sale doesn't. Anyway I don't really think short term money is the issue. 

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Though suppose selling / not registering Bertrand Traore is an option, as is not registering Mings for the 2nd half of the season if he's unlikely to be ready before end of the season.

So there's ways around it, but I think it's likely we sign a homegrown keeper either now or the summer, particularly with many of our Top Youngsters that would have padded out our Homegrown numbers being sold, we need to add some bodies in that department

I would rate our chances of selling Traore as zero.
Injured. Barely played. Likely to spend a month at AFCON. Out of contract in June. 

Might as well de-register him if we need a slot in the squad. 

7 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I would rate our chances of selling Traore as zero.
Injured. Barely played. Likely to spend a month at AFCON. Out of contract in June. 

Might as well de-register him if we need a slot in the squad. 

We won't be able to give him away now!  Summer free transfer for a mutually terminated contract it will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

This would make perfect sense to me.

We give them Azaz in some form of swap for Griffiths, get to add a HG player to the squad, allowing us to move on Chambers who at this point is only helping our HG quota and allow Olsen to go. 

Then reinvest the squad places and some money into a RB and a DM. Plus An attacker of we're lucky