January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

20 hours ago, Mantis said:

RB for me. It's a glaring weak spot.

Yes but it is also passable with Konsa there. We have seen how little legs we have in midfield atm and if Dougie or Kamara miss a game we really struggle. Bringing in a better backup CDM will improve all our players as we can bring them on when Luiz or Kamara are flagging or for one of our attacking players to help see the game out.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Frimpong is 37m

neto will be more than 50

No Frimpong isn't. Frimpong is 40 mil euros in the summer. In January he'll cost north of 80 million. That's the reason why his buyout is so cheap for the summer it is because they want to keep him for the rest of this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Anyone any idea of likely budget? The selling of young players for ffp and reliance on loans in the summer had me believing very little could happen right now. I certainly wasn't expecting us to be grappling for c40m right backs. 

The loans were used to cover 2 long term injuries. We expect Buendia and Mings to be back next season. We won't need Lenglet with Mings back and we do have an option to buy zaniolo if he performed well for us. But mostly was signed for cover for Buendia. 

We also have a huge amount available to spend, it's just a question of whether we should as that spending also impacts future windows 

7 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

His release clause is €13m to non Italian clubs I think? I wonder if we would be in for him. I’d imagine the majority of European teams will be after his signature at that price

Whilst that is amazing value for money he is yet another leftie

On 30/12/2023 at 14:25, villa89 said:

Selling your club captain to meet FFP. Welcome to modern football.

It's a testament to how anti-competitive FFP is that Chelsea are only now having to do stuff like this after spending almost £1bn in *transfer fees alone* over two years

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

A lot of big clubs sniffing around but why shouldn’t we be competing with them.

Fofana seems to be ahead of Kamara for France, although I think Kamara is slightly better myself so no guarantees Fofana would start here. Would be an excellent signing at that price though.

As nice as it would be we won't be signing players like Fofana to sit on the bench. We aren't that big yet! 

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tosin at Fulham is an interesting one. Believe he isn’t signing a new deal there? Right sided centre half. I know we’re awash with players back there but he’ll be a good pick up by someone. 

Could defo see Carlos sold in the summer, but if the stories of Inter going bust are true then I’d love us to go nuts and try to sign Bastoni. 

21 hours ago, MSvillain said:

The words fail me

What I mean is taking advantage of Villa’s present position and bringing in the quality that wouldn’t normally consider Villa.

It is up to the owners to allow the manager to do that within the realms of FFP!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sne said:

M'bappé and Achraf Hakimi or gtfo

So you think Eze and Olise from bottom half Palace are out of reach for joint top Villa?

Thats the type of reasoning that has kept Villa ‘a sleeping giant’ for so many years.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think that is a contentious Issue in emboldened text....your suggestions are good, but a tad ambitious for January is my guess....I would like Wan-Bissaka, but hey ho.

However, One mans squad filler, is another mans prudent signing.....eg..John Mcginn, could have been one mans squad filler.

If we want a right back, the first thing to establish, is what you want him to do?....personally, for what I want them to do FWIW, I don't envisage spending big money....but its not my call.

If you want a player who doubles as a winger, we have them already...how many do we want?.....It seems we are having to play centre backs there, to get any semblance of defensive work.

If you want a player, who can defend first, and play out second, we might be able to seek one out, with not too much expense....I guess the recruitment team is on it.

On the contrary mate, I think Wan Bissaka is a bit unambitious for my liking and probably more of a squad filler type signing that I was alluding too. Probably a good signing 9-12 months ago when we were fighting it out for midtable with teams like Crystal Palace, Brentford, Chelsea.....but we're in the position now where it is very hard to improve and we have to aim high to get to where we want. A lot will depend on our budget and if we are constrained by FFP, as well as it being very difficult to buy top players in January. But I'd rather we wait until the summer if we can't land our top targets.

We did very good business in the summer, Tielemans on a free, Pau Torres for £30m, Diaby for a bit more. Top players at a good age and a good price, which has to be the benchmark going forward. Zaniolo and Lenglet have been less successful but were both loans and I can see what they were trying to do there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes but it is also passable with Konsa there. We have seen how little legs we have in midfield atm and if Dougie or Kamara miss a game we really struggle. Bringing in a better backup CDM will improve all our players as we can bring them on when Luiz or Kamara are flagging or for one of our attacking players to help see the game out.

Yeah but Konsa is too good to not have in the middle. There's a huge gap in quality between Torres/Konsa and Carlos/Lenglet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not going to pay ridiculous money for PL clubs key players

How do you know this? If you have a connection to the higher echelons of the club then please tell us.

I’m not talking about poaching players from a top four side although Villa did bring in Martinez.

I’m saying Villa should, could, approach a habitual bottom half Premiership team and inquire about their two best players.

If you want to bring quality to the club then, as you put it, Villa will have to pay ridiculous money to do exactly that especially when Villa have very wealthy owners!

Just now, striker said:

How do you know this? If you have a connection to the higher echelons of the club then please tell us.

I’m not talking about poaching players from a top four side although Villa did bring in Martinez.

I’m saying Villa should, could, approach a habitual bottom half Premiership team and inquire about their two best players.

If you want to bring quality to the club then, as you put it, Villa will have to pay ridiculous money to do exactly that especially when Villa have very wealthy owners!

Dont be silly. We don’t need any clubs best players. We have ALL the best players already. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, striker said:

So you think Eze and Olise from Palace are out of reach for joint top Villa?

Thats the type of reasoning that has kept Villa ‘a sleeping giant’ for so many years.

It's more the cost, you basically demanded a spend of roughly £150m for 2 players which I don't think anyone believes are a true priority position for us, especially when we know we are close to FFP. 

We won't even be interested in Olise as good as he is, as we already have Bailey and Diaby as left footed attackers both doing very well and both cost us a lot of money, and we also have McGinn, for the same reason I don't think we would be interest in Neto. Besides nee chance of Olise even if we did want him, he's going to end up somewhere like Man City or PSG, probably City as Mahrez replacement.

Eze I think would the ideal signing for us, and I would say a little more obtainable than Olise, but still would feel unlikely, maybe if we actually reach Champions League first.

I think if we sign another winger it will be a right footer than can play on the left and that can also play through the middle in some capacity, either as a striker, or as No.10,

• Like 1