January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Valentini, a left-footed CB, would presumably be the replacement for Lenglet.

A lot of interesting links all of a sudden. 

Surely that’s Hermoso who could also play at LB.

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Seems like our strategy this January window is just to sign a load of unknowns and no one for the first 11.

Hopefully we make up for it in the summer or we won’t continue to mix with the elite for long. 

12 months ago - there were plenty of people on here moaning about why we couldn't do what Brighton do and sign a load of young / unknown players that go on to become megastars.  Now we have reputedly one of  the best football men in Europe in charge of our recruitment and some people are moaning about us not signing ready-made megastars or players that Liverpool or Spurs are chasing.  Monchi has a reputation for signing first team players in the summer and development players in the winter.  It makes a lot of sense - Pau Torres would have cost more last January because it would have been harder to replace him.  Kosta might be cheaper now because if he does get any more international caps over the next few months then he might start attracting the attention of more clubs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

12 months ago - there were plenty of people on here moaning about why we couldn't do what Brighton do and sign a load of young / unknown players that go on to become megastars.  Now we have reputedly one of  the best football men in Europe in charge of our recruitment and some people are moaning about us not signing ready-made megastars or players that Liverpool or Spurs are chasing.  Monchi has a reputation for signing first team players in the summer and development players in the winter.  It makes a lot of sense - Pau Torres would have cost more last January because it would have been harder to replace him.  Kosta might be cheaper now because if he does get any more international caps over the next few months then he might start attracting the attention of more clubs.

Yeah fair enough, makes sense. I don't mind this approach but I can see Boro pulling our pants down for Rogers so let's hope we walk away if they start taking the p*ss.

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah fair enough, makes sense. I don't mind this approach but I can see Boro pulling our pants down for Rogers so let's hope we walk away if they start taking the p*ss.

I repeat - Monchi has a reputation for being one of the best people at his job in Europe (and so by extension the world).  No-one is pulling down his pants / taking the p*ss out of him.  We don't have idiots in charge any more (I know - it's hard to believe that we've now got people in charge who know what they are doing).  Relax. 😉

Edited by allani
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Kesler apparently brought back as actual first team RB cover… interesting…

Emery telling Monchi “Bring him to me, Ill turn him into a player”.  

maybe he’ll get some chances in Europe and the FA Cup, while Cash primarily plays PL matches and Konsa goes back to CB where Diego Carlos has been a bit of a liability. 

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Spurs are so **** lucky. Any other club loses their superstar, regardless of how much they get for him, they have a dud season of rebuilding etc. Like we had with Jack leaving

Spurs sell Kane and somehow get better, and now get to reinvest all that money on the future. It's one rule for words removed and another for the rest of us.

Lucky? They have played European football 8 out of the last 10 seasons including a CL final. They have an amazing ground one of the best in the PL. We lost our so called superstar and got better beyond expectations bar having an absolute idiot in charge for a short period of time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Is there any truth in that we are signing these young players for our academy so they won't be factored into FFP?

Is that actually a thing.

Must be true as I have never known people to make things up on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Must be true as I have never known people to make things up on the internet.

Yep I believe you Craig was born 150 years ago!

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Is there any truth in that we are signing these young players for our academy so they won't be factored into FFP?

Is that actually a thing.

tbh i was also wondering if this is what we were doing.

for example, Wilson, kerr etc, i dont think their signings went against FFP?, not sure if there is an age cutoff or something? (ie: signing them as "u21" players and not being part of FFP? - not even sure its a thing tho tbh..)