January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

McGin might also be a bit of low hanging FFP boosting fruit, why sell Ramsey when he'll hold his value for a few years.

McGinn turns 30 this year, not sure he'd command a fee big enough to feel like appropriate compensation for what we'd lose with him departing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think this is why we really need to make the Champions League this season. When people say they'll be happy with 6th I can't understand it. Even 5th might not get it so top 4 really has to be our objective.

If we are playing Europa League next season then I reckon we will have to make a big sale in the summer.

The difference in revenues is quite significant, we'd have to win the ECL to get the same revenue we'd receive for getting into the group stages of the CL.

If things are tight around FFP then i can see why we won't be doing much business until the summer when we have a better understanding of what our potential revenue is next season.

Champions League         Europa League        Europa Conference League

Group stage      €15.64m ($17.17m)       €3.63m ($3.98m)            €2.94m ($3.23m)

Round of 16       €9.6m ($10.54m)            €1.2m ($1.32m)             €600,000 ($658,530)

Quarter-finals  €10.6m ($11.63m)         €1.8m ($1.98m)               €1m ($1.1m)

Semi-finals       €12.5m ($13.72m)         €2.8m ($3.07m)               €2m ($2.2m)

Final                      €15.5m ($17.01m)        €4.6m ($5.05m)               €3m ($3.29m)

Winners              €20m ($21.95m)             €8.6m ($9.44m)               €5m ($5.49m)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only Dybala interested me this window, that seems to be non-story so if we are buying young talent as an investment then great. Hermoso on a free is another good bit of out-of-contract business if it happens, definitely improves the squad. We are really making moves in the market if you look at the quality since the grown-ups took over. 

Luiz and Kamara ought to be going nowhere. Same with Mcginn. If we end up having to sell main players, then Bailey, Digne, Cash are options to move on in the summer. Though I doubt we'll sell Bailey. Digne and Cash most likely in the summer along with Dendonker. Then getting these value free transfer moneyballing options through Monchi I guess as replacements. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Dunno mate… dunno if it’s legit.

Coming from Atletico, I think he’d expect to start if there is any truth to this. 

I’d like some signings for the here & now if possible, we have a lot to do and achieve this season and they’d be a welcome boost…

But it’s always good and wise to look to and build for the future too… as we saw with Kamara, it is possible to get quality players on frees if you’re quick and savvy enough to identify and negotiate good deals with them… still, signing on fees and wages are significant… so only go for those that really boost the team/squad, that would be worth it…

I dunno which links to believe or not really… there’s far too much noise and very little truth amongst all of it… typical of these windows and social media…

Hmm. It’s an interesting one. And I know he’s not old but he is 28. At least with Kamara he was early 20s when we signed him. It’d be interesting to see if this is true and how he’d actually slot into the team.

54 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

hmm, if we are meant to be loaning him back to them for the remainder of the season, why have they bought a new RB now?, wouldnt that now hinder Kosta's game time when we loan him back to them!?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

A quick centre back makes a change from Pau and Lenglet.

Begs the question as to where that leaves Mings and Carlos? I am guessing Emery will play with 3 CBs more often than not so maybe Konsa, Pau and Hermoso would be first choice with Carlos and Mings rotating assuming Hause and Chambers will be leaving. Very strong CB department though, absolutely Champions League standard, and in depth too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poster 1: It seems FFP is hurting a lot of clubs at the moment, even our manager has mentioned we may need to sell a player or two in the future but still look to improve if we do so. I wonder who that could be. I know Luiz is probably our most saleable asset.

Poster 2: (failing to mention context). OMG, WHY IS EVERYBODY IN HERE TRYING TO SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS. LOLZ

Poster 1: I’d really like to keep Luiz, he’s a cracking player. I just wonder if the club backs itself to improve, similar to how West Ham have with the Rice deal, by selling one player for a lot of money and replacing that player with 2/3 good players which improves the team overall. Not saying we should or they will but clubs have been successful doing so in the past.

Poster 3: I’VE NOT BEEN IN THIS THREAD FOR A WHILE AND NOW WE’RE SELLING LUIZ?!? 

Poster 1: (Understanding it’s a football fan forum). I agree, I don’t think we should sell Luiz if we can help it. It’s just clear the PL is cracking down on teams. The sale of a player may really help with that. Oh, here’s 3 players that we could arguably buy with the money from a player sale that may improve us. This might be cool to discuss.

Poster 2: OMG YOU LOT HAVE SUCH AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX. WE SHOULDNT SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS.

This is how the conversation usually goes when any talk of a player sale is mentioned. Rinse and repeat. Does make me laugh. 

I think you mistakenly edited out the final line in this:

Poster 1: But what you don’t realise is I am operating totally in a virtual reality, disregarding any real world issues about the need to maintain the momentum and vast improvement in our squad to make as much progress as possible this season. I am ignoring the fact that there is no indication whatsoever that the club is thinking of selling Luiz in January. I am posting entirely for effect. It’s an experiment to see how others will react to a bizarre suggestion.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hmm, if we are meant to be loaning him back to them for the remainder of the season, why have they bought a new RB now?, wouldnt that now hinder Kosta's game time when we loan him back to them!?

We’ll have to see… maybe the reports were inaccurate and there is no loan back. Or maybe they wanna keep both players rn and allow the new guy to settle in 🤷‍♂️

We’ll have to see

No proper reveal or announcement on us signing Nedeljkovic yet…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

A quick centre back makes a change from Pau and Lenglet.

Lenglet is going to cost too much this summer to make permanent.  His wages are too high and Barca wants too much for him, which is why he's been loaned to the Prem in back to back seasons.  The only reason we went for him this season was as a Mings injury replacement.  Hermoso will take Chambers' spot in the squad next season.  We'll have 5 CBs with the Spaniards being our ball players, Mings/Carlos being the physical/athletic defenders, and Konsa filling in as a CB every once in a while, but mainly playing RB.  Hermoso is a fantastic CB and shows we're building a squad for the Champions League. 

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Begs the question as to where that leaves Mings and Carlos? I am guessing Emery will play with 3 CBs more often than not so maybe Konsa, Pau and Hermoso would be first choice with Carlos and Mings rotating assuming Hause and Chambers will be leaving. Very strong CB department though, absolutely Champions League standard, and in depth too.

Maybe 3 at the back. Hermoso left as he’s also played left back. Pau central and Konsa right?

18 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Hmm. It’s an interesting one. And I know he’s not old but he is 28. At least with Kamara he was early 20s when we signed him. It’d be interesting to see if this is true and how he’d actually slot into the team.

Not the first time he’s been linked to us… a lot of stuff gets regurgitated…

Does seem like it would be a good signing though… just not sure exactly how he would fit in and whether he’d accept a rotational role…

CL and La Liga experience…might just stay put…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Ideally. But that’s assuming Mings returns to full fitness as he was prior to injury.

He's come back from serious injuries before and I for one, wouldn't want to bet against him doing the same again. We shouldn't always fear the very worst, losing him for most, if not all of the season is bad enough. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

The difference in revenues is quite significant, we'd have to win the ECL to get the same revenue we'd receive for getting into the group stages of the CL.

If things are tight around FFP then i can see why we won't be doing much business until the summer when we have a better understanding of what our potential revenue is next season.

Champions League         Europa League        Europa Conference League

Group stage      €15.64m ($17.17m)       €3.63m ($3.98m)            €2.94m ($3.23m)

Round of 16       €9.6m ($10.54m)            €1.2m ($1.32m)             €600,000 ($658,530)

Quarter-finals  €10.6m ($11.63m)         €1.8m ($1.98m)               €1m ($1.1m)

Semi-finals       €12.5m ($13.72m)         €2.8m ($3.07m)               €2m ($2.2m)

Final                      €15.5m ($17.01m)        €4.6m ($5.05m)               €3m ($3.29m)

Winners              €20m ($21.95m)             €8.6m ($9.44m)               €5m ($5.49m)

They give teams an extra 2.5m per win in the group stage and beyond, on top of that. 

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

it could be that weve agreed a lower price if we loan him back, the loan also keeps him off our wage bill for now. Seems odd though when we know we want a new right back.

• Like 1