January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'm not sure about that. 10 Million Max now based on his current stock levels

Guessing we will have to wait and see. He won’t be judged on literally having no service at Sheff Utd. 

58 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

So, if true,  they way I understand it is that Sheff U have paid about 9 mil for Archer. If they stay up they pay another 9 mil and the Villa keep a buyback option of, say 30 mil for the duration of the contract. If they go down they don't pay the second installment and instead Villa pay them 7 mil to get him back, which would make it a glorified loan for a 2 mil fee.

Sounds like a clever way to do business.

Thats my take too, we win here, we keep the player, receive a "loan" payment of £2m, and he has a season of top level experience. However we cant sell him again straight away. If he goes on a 4 year contract thats tiny amortisation cost so little impact on FFP

This is useful thread on FFP. Suggests we actually have a fair bit of headroom to buy a decent player, above £30m if pushed. It also suggests this is predicated on finishing 7th so if we finish in CL positions, it is greatly improved.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This is useful thread on FFP. Suggests we actually have a fair bit of headroom to buy a decent player, above £30m if pushed. It also suggests this is predicated on finishing 7th so if we finish in CL positions, it is greatly improved.

Is he a reliable FFP expert tho? 

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The way i read it, if we spend 30m on a player in the next 18months then we will be very tight to ffp without going over.  Thats not taking into consideration CL money if we qualify, which then would change for the better 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I mean that seems very wrong to me.

Admittedly I only really did back of the napkin math as I'm not familiar with every single account trick that Teams use.

But I don't see how we lost 42.4 mil last year. We likely had somewhere around 195 mil in revenue and about 50 mil in player sales (with West Ham staying up). Our wages would likely have been 155. Our Amortisation was around 113 (not accounting for contract extensions for Luiz, Konsa, Mings - which would lower the amortisation by about 10 million too). Seems like the losses this guy is projecting is about double what they should be. 42 mil compared to 25

For this year, our revenue should be like 210 at minimum because of conference league and a higher paying sponsor. We have about 45 mil in player sales (archer 18, Ramsey 15, JPB 5, Azaz 2.5, Nakamba 2, Davis 2) and about 68 mil in purchases (plus 15 mil in bonuses). Let's include the 15 mil for worst case scenario. Wages increased to 180 let's say. Amortisation is 100 mil (20.75 from 23/24, 22 From 22/23, 22 from 21/22, 22 from 20/21, 13 from 19/20). So 280 in terms of costs that count, 265 in terms of revenue (if we finish 4th our revenue would be like 271, 280 probably if we win UECL). 

So this really feels off.

And it's worth point out because of how the amortisation works, we have amortised like 280 mil in this 3 year period, have received like 210 mil in player sales. Have a wage - revenue difference of about 35 mil per year, and can have 35 mil in losses each year. So we do have a lot of room by my understanding. 

Edited by MotoMkali

55 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

The way i read it, if we spend 30m on a player in the next 18months then we will be very tight to ffp without going over.  Thats not taking into consideration CL money if we qualify, which then would change for the better 

Definitely need to steer clear of signing Zaniolo then. 

• Like 1

I'm sure that someone, with more creativity, and Satire than me could do a FFP version of the " Four Yorkshiremen.

"We bought a player for 2.5 million and he now plays for Scotland, and captains a team in second place in the premier league"

" and if you told the kids today, they would never believe ya"

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

So, if true,  they way I understand it is that Sheff U have paid about 9 mil for Archer. If they stay up they pay another 9 mil and the Villa keep a buyback option of, say 30 mil for the duration of the contract. If they go down they don't pay the second installment and instead Villa pay them 7 mil to get him back, which would make it a glorified loan for a 2 mil fee.

Sounds like a clever way to do business.

Except for if his goal against us results in us missing out on the Champions League of course....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Except for if his goal against us results in us missing out on the Champions League of course....

Meh disagree. They wouldn’t have played  with 10 men had he been on loan. It wasn’t a great piece of skill, it was shambolic defending, someone else would have scored, who cares.

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

I love football fans

Fin Azaz - only played in the Championship, 23 years old, capped once at U21 level for Ireland. €1.5m valuation on TransferMarkt (I know, but it is an indication).Ridiculous (say some) that we've only sold for £2.5m - worth way more than that. (I have seen someone say £15m on twitter!).

Cam Archer - playing in the premier league; turned 22 a couple of weeks ago. 11 games and 6 goals for England U21 - won the Euros at that level last summer; €18m valuation on TransferMarkt - probably won't get £10m for him if he comes back (again according to some).

Never change.  

careful who you say that to, on Match day.....some hairy arsed Brick Layer, might take it the wrong way.

Edited by TRO
error
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, striker said:

Philips at City on loan with an option to buy would be a massive upgrade on Donk. 

Why would he come here on loan? He isn’t moving from one bench to another and he’s not likely to get more game time here than at City. That has Newcastle written all over it with Tonali out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Why?

Because he might end up back with us and we might not get CL on goal difference. A bit of a stretch I know, but it was just the glass half empty taking over for a minute. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why would he come here on loan? He isn’t moving from one bench to another and he’s not likely to get more game time here than at City. That has Newcastle written all over it with Tonali out.

Yeah… it just seems a silly suggestion. Like Gibbs-White and Gallagher too… but Philips is even worse…

One minute these sorts of players are suggested and the next we are worried and concerned about FFP and limitations 😂 makes no sense…

Kind of find it shocking how far “fan opinion” from some repeatedly strays from the logic and strategy that we are actually employing at the club… what evidence is there that Unai, Monchi and co are happy or even interested in splashing out big fees and/or big wages on PL or English/British players? Especially those who are nothing special and are being massively overpaid? Even worse those that have huge asking prices…

Everything we have implemented is designed to find and research talented players all over the world (probably Spain and South America moreso) that combine potential and value.

There is no value to be had in/from the PL… many of the legends and stars that we look back on and admire came from obscure places or foreign leagues and became or developed into that calibre of player… some of them were bargains too… some/many of the best British players were developed by their own clubs or from a young age… 

None of the targets or signings so far suggest we would ever employ this approach either…

Just find it a bit weird tbh but hey ho… each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… it just seems a silly suggestion. Like Gibbs-White and Gallagher too… but Philips is even worse…

One minute these sorts of players are suggested and the next we are worried and concerned about FFP and limitations 😂 makes no sense…

Kind of find it shocking how far “fan opinion” from some repeatedly strays from the logic and strategy that we are actually employing at the club… what evidence is there that Unai, Monchi and co are happy or even interested in splashing out big fees and/or big wages on PL or English/British players? Especially those who are nothing special and are being massively overpaid? Even worse those that have huge asking prices…

Everything we have implemented is designed to find and research talented players all over the world (probably Spain and South America moreso) that combine potential and value.

There is no value to be had in/from the PL… many of the legends and stars that we look back on and admire came from obscure places or foreign leagues and became or developed into that calibre of player… some of them were bargains too… some/many of the best British players were developed by their own clubs or from a young age… 

None of the targets or signings so far suggest we would ever employ this approach either…

Just find it a bit weird tbh but hey ho… each to their own I guess.

Tielemans was English based to be fair and came on big wages. I think if the right players are available I think Emery/Monchi will go for them whether they are foreign or English