blunther

I think we should be fine in this one and I'm predicting a comfortable win, but worth remembering how Everton counter attacked at in their big win at Brighton towards the end of last season. So important there's no complacency and we don't leave ourselves open committing too many forward.

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

Why McGinn on the left? He didn’t play great there. Move him back to the right. I agree with Philogene for Bailey. But surely it makes more sense to have Philogene on left as he’s right footed so will cut in allowing the attacking left back to overlap? I’d even try Countinho on left for the same effect.

Fine with that also. They can interchange if needs be too. And yes, McGinn did have an off day, but I think that was down to the impact losing Mings and Buendia had on him.  I expect him to be much more fired up this game

What do we think the lineup for this will be?

-------------Martinez

Cash, Konsa, Pau, Digne??

McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans

-----------Diaby, Watkins

?

Maybe we'll see Kamara dropped for Tielemans and JPB Tried on the left?

If Digne is still around he starts.

It's a bit annoying we're going for some scratch line ups second game in the season, did Revan even figure much in pre season and yet people are demanding we throw him in from the start.

Don't want Pau starting at LB either, he needs to get into rhythm of playing CB at prem level so in a few months time he can hopefully have similar presence that Mings had for us. It's a big ask but we're not getting that same presence from him playing at LB.

• Like 1

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Carlos - Pau
McGinn - Kamara - Luiz - Coutinho
Diaby - Watkins

With Pau naturally staying back more, I think we could get away with Coutinho playing in front. That's the position in the 11 I'm most unsure of.

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Carlos - Pau
McGinn - Kamara - Luiz - Coutinho
Diaby - Watkins

With Pau naturally staying back more, I think we could get away with Coutinho playing in front. That's the position in the 11 I'm most unsure of.

That's what I think as well.

I'd go JPB, but Emery not going with him at Newcastle makes me think he isn't sure yet.

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Digne is still around he starts.

It's a bit annoying we're going for some scratch line ups second game in the season, did Revan even figure much in pre season and yet people are demanding we throw him in from the start.

Don't want Pau starting at LB either, he needs to get into rhythm of playing CB at prem level so in a few months time he can hopefully have similar presence that Mings had for us. It's a big ask but we're not getting that same presence from him playing at LB.

You don't want Revan or Pau at LB, but happy enough with Digne who we've been trying to sell all week and has pretty much been told he's not wanted.  4/10 performance incoming. 

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

Grim reading...

Still think we should have enough and the first home game needs to be huge.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 093920.png

Well Duran is back in training and Bailey was in the last training video too so it's slightly better than that list suggest (although not much)

• Like 1

Just in case people haven't seen this elsewhere, a heads up that the Holte Suite is closed for this game (and possibly more) due to issues with the construction of the Terrace View and some minor changes to the Holte Suite itself.