blunther

29 minutes ago, picicata said:

I mean, I'm hopeful that we can beat Everton on our own patch, but I still think I'd start with 11 players

Woops! Forgot McGinn. Can't really decide whether Kamara and Dougle should play as a pair of CDMs as a 2 or offset  in a line with Dougie or Kamara in front. Also, Diaby and McGinn OR Diaby and JPB could switch out here, too. 

__________________Emi__________________

________Carlos___________Pau___________

__Cash__________Kamara___________Digne

________________Dougie__________________

______Diaby_____McGinn_______JPB_______

__________________Ollie________________

Edited by Marka Ragnos

26 minutes ago, picicata said:

Think Emery will want us to tighten up considerably and as such I expect a very tight, dull game.

Hoping for the win but expecting a 1-1 draw

I think with Carlos and Torres playing RCB LCB and Cash and Dinge as full backs, there is some flexibility, too. But as in even the Valencia match, we've been getting exposed again and again on our wings and it's got to stop. It seems like many are worried about the high line, but I feel like regardless, we keep inviting wing pressure that ends up killing us.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

One of Cash or Digne is getting dropped. They were both abysmal on Saturday and the principal reason playing out from the back was so disastrous.

So one of Konsa or Torres are playing the Emery version of a Centre Back / Full Back.

I'd guess it's Digne dropped so a back four of...

Torres - Carlos - Konsa - Cash.

Every season we play Everton in the first few games (the 2nd, 3rd or 4th game). I suppose it's just a coincidence because I think a computer decides the order of each team's games randomly, right?

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

One of Cash or Digne is getting dropped. They were both abysmal on Saturday and the principal reason playing out from the back was so disastrous.

Moreno please be recovering well and quickly! :s

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Did we ever beat Burnley under Dyche at VP?

Feel we battered them every game but couldn't win.

Nah. Lost 1-0 before the cup final in 2015. 2-2 in 2019 and then that mad 0-0 when we had about 30 shots the next season.

Perhaps it may have been better for us if Everton had won or drawn on Saturday and better too if they'd at least scored a goal. They'll now be desperate to score but also to avoid losing their first two games of the season. :s So I predict this will be a tough match for us.

11 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

So one of Konsa or Torres are playing the Emery version of a Centre Back / Full Back.

Digne was marginally better than Cash who was absolutely abysmal. Pretty much every Newcastle chance came down that right hand side. Cash even got taken apart by Anthony flippin Gordon. Playing Bailey in front of him of course didn't help, but still.

If we're dropping one of the full backs it has to be Cash. Hopefully we have a new right back lined up and Moreno isn't far off being fit. And I think Torres if he is to settle in quickly has to play in his favoured position, not at left back. 

I actually have no idea how we will line up defensively after Saturday's horror show, but this would probably be my team:

.....................Martinez.....................

........Konsa.....Carlos.....Torres.......

McGinn.....Luiz.....Kamara.....Digne

Diaby...........Watkins............Zaniolo

Choosing between Konsa and Cash was hard as they were our two worst defenders against Newcastle, but I think Konsa's consistency last season keeps him in and hopefully it was only a one off. Gone to a back three because I think we need to change something at the back without Mings, even if I'm not really a fan of a back three. When Ramsey and Moreno come back or we sign another player in defence maybe we change it back. 

I'm throwing Zaniolo right in because Bailey was the worst player on the pitch against Newcastle and I don't want to see him start.

15 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

You stumbled on the issue we have with no Moreno. We don't have a (good) attacking wing back.

Digne is better than Cash at it, but not good enough that we can then accommodate a very defensive right back, such as Konsa. But the same applies in revers, so putting Pau at left back and Cash at right back leaves us completely lacking in support from them further up the pitch. I'd argue its worse. 

Cash had a mare, so did konsa. So I see Konsa being moved to play right back (allowance for his great previous season). Cash dropped. Pau & Carlos in the middle. Digne on the left

In midfield there isn't really anyone that played well at Newcastle, but we looked worse after changes were made. So I'd stick with the plan we had last time for the most part.

Kamara and Luiz middle, McGinn on the left. But I'd bring Philogene in on the right in place of Bailey.

Diaby and Watkins picks itself up top. 

Losing Mings is a tragedy, but making wholesale changes as a result won't help matters I don't think

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

You stumbled on the issue we have with no Moreno. We don't have a (good) attacking wing back.

Digne is better than Cash at it, but not good enough that we can then accommodate a very defensive right back, such as Konsa. But the same applies in revers, so putting Pau at left back and Cash at right back leaves us completely lacking in support from them further up the pitch. I'd argue its worse. 

Cash had a mare, so did konsa. So I see Konsa being moved to play right back (allowance for his great previous season). Cash dropped. Pau & Carlos in the middle. Digne on the left

In midfield there isn't really anyone that played well at Newcastle, but we looked worse after changes were made. So I'd stick with the plan we had last time for the most part.

Kamara and Luiz middle, McGinn on the left. But I'd bring Philogene in on the right in place of Bailey.

Diaby and Watkins picks itself up top. 

Losing Mings is a tragedy, but making wholesale changes as a result won't help matters I don't think

We're saying the same thing, I think, You're just dropping Cash and I'm dropping Digne. 

Personally, I would drop Cash too as I think I rate Digne more than most. I just don't think Emery will do that. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We're saying the same thing, I think, You're just dropping Cash and I'm dropping Digne. 

Personally, I would drop Cash too as I think I rate Digne more than most. I just don't think Emery will do that. 

Yes, I was talking through my logic for going the other way. There isn't really much in it for me.

@gwi1890. The Kamara, Tielemans, Luiz experiment last game didn't seem to work well at all, although I think there were extenuating circumstances for that. Think we'll see it tried again when it's not in panic mode?

Just now, MrBlack said:

Yes, I was talking through my logic for going the other way. There isn't really much in it for me.

@gwi1890. The Kamara, Tielemans, Luiz experiment last game didn't seem to work well at all, although I think there were extenuating circumstances for that. Think we'll see it tried again when it's not in panic mode?

It didn’t work at all but we are low on options unfortunately with Buendia and Ramsey out injured. That wide position requires energy and  tenacity all three mentioned above are suited to building out of the back and  receiving the ball in tight areas to beat the press out wide their lack of pace exposes them our system works around playing to our personnel’s strengths rather than exposing them.

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I actually have no idea how we will line up defensively after Saturday's horror show, but this would probably be my team:

.....................Martinez.....................

........Konsa.....Carlos.....Torres.......

McGinn.....Luiz.....Kamara.....Digne

Diaby...........Watkins............Zaniolo

Choosing between Konsa and Cash was hard as they were our two worst defenders against Newcastle, but I think Konsa's consistency last season keeps him in and hopefully it was only a one off. Gone to a back three because I think we need to change something at the back without Mings, even if I'm not really a fan of a back three. When Ramsey and Moreno come back or we sign another player in defence maybe we change it back. 

I'm throwing Zaniolo right in because Bailey was the worst player on the pitch against Newcastle and I don't want to see him start.

Would like to see this. 442 out of possession this in possession. Think it’ll be too early to throw Zaniolo in so maybe Phil in his place. Quite a few unusually bad performances in the weekend but Cash and Bailey have proved over a long period they’re not good enough 

• Like 1