blunther

I don’t see this game as a gimme,anymore than I saw Last Saturdays game as a forgone conclusion,to the pundits and newky fans

To have any chance of winning games, we need to be hard to play against and subsequently hard to beat….lose that discipline and it will be a disappointing season.

Attacking the opposition has to be built on keeping them quiet,too.

Edited by TRO

Our defence is the thing that needs the most work. Do you change it round and have konsa at right back, Carlos and pau with digne on the left ?

Or try not to change too much and just have pau at lcb and keep konsa and cash in their regular place ? 

Or drop konsa and go Carlos and pau ?

Also depends if we are actually shipping digne out for decent money, do we risk him being injured ( he's made of paper anyway) ?

We then have Chambers who can fill in at cb or right back. 

Midfield we need to put mcginn back on the right, doug and kamara with teilmans taking up the emi b spot 

Leaving diaby and watkins 

We need to get back to being robust, we have good enough players to score goals, we need to be water tight at the back so the extra midfield protection should help the defence out while a new back 4 is sorted.

• Like 2

Tough game this. We’ve got lots to figure out, whilst Everton will be keen to get points on the board early this season after how they got on last season. It could easily be another disappointing loss for us whilst we try and put a team together which is going to play how Unai wants. 

Edited by Tayls

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don’t see this game as a gimme,anymore than I saw Last Saturdays game as a forgone conclusion.

Tbf, I don't think many saw last week's game as a "forgone conclusion,". It was never going to be an easy game. In contrast, I think we should be taking all 3 points from this Saturday's game. It might not be as easy as some may think, but if we play to the way the manager expects, then I'm fairly confident we'll be victorious. Emery doesn't strike me as a manager to feel sorry for himself. What's done is done and just like last season after a setback,  we showed a resilience, that showed this team also doesn't feel sorry for itself for very long.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I don’t see this game as a gimme,anymore than I saw Last Saturdays game as a forgone conclusion.

To have any chance of winning games, we need to be hard to play against and subsequently hard to beat….lose that discipline and it will be a disappointing season.

Attacking the opposition has to be built on keeping them quiet,too.

I don't think anyone saw the Newcastle game as a gimme and if they did they were clearly out of touch with reality. Newcastle were favourites, at home with a big crowd behind them, and only lost twice at home in the last 12 months to Arsenal and Livsrpool. Add to that we haven't won there in nearly 20 years then you're clearly getting ahead of yourself if you expected to win comfortably.

What shouldn't have happened is getting battered as it should have been a far closer scoreline if you compare the two starting lineups and I attach most of that to our high line which could have shipped more goals had Martinez not saved three times from one on one chances. Clearly something to be looked at.

• Confused 1

We are clear favourites for this one, first home game, and we have a very good record against Everton who are obviously a side nowadays struggling to stay up. I'd be very surprised if we dropped points and if we do i would be very concerned.

We must win our home games against the sides that finished bottom half last season or it's going to be one long season. First we need to tighten up defensively because we looked all at sea against the barcodes. I'm not sure if Everton have as many runners in behind, I don't think they do, and I think we'll dominate possession, but we have to be very careful out of possession and not be so open like we were against Newcastle which was similar to how we played under Smiyh and Gerrard. Everton are likely to want to get something from set pieces under Dyche so again there we have to be diligent because we weren't against Newcastle. Emery is known for being a more pragmatic, defensive minded coach so I'm very confident he'll fix it quickly.

It's all well and good saying the season is long and we don't need to win here, but we really do. If we can't beat Everton at home what makes us think we'll win at Burnley or home to Palace and Brighton, let alone Liverpool and Chelsea away? Football is about momentum and if you start **** up in the games you should win it becomes a dangerous cycle.

We are just as desperate to win as them if not more so because if we don't we really are playing catchup.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tbf, I don't think many saw last week's game as a "forgone conclusion,". It was never going to be an easy game. In contrast, I think we should be taking all 3 points from this Saturday's game. It might not be as easy as some may think, but if we play to the way the manager expects, then I'm fairly confident we'll be victorious. Emery doesn't strike me as a manager to feel sorry for himself. What's done is done and just like last season after a setback,  we showed a resilience, that showed this team also doesn't feel sorry for itself for very long.

I meant “ forgone conclusion” for them sheepy

16 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Our defence is the thing that needs the most work. Do you change it round and have konsa at right back, Carlos and pau with digne on the left ?

Or try not to change too much and just have pau at lcb and keep konsa and cash in their regular place ? 

Or drop konsa and go Carlos and pau ?

Also depends if we are actually shipping digne out for decent money, do we risk him being injured ( he's made of paper anyway) ?

We then have Chambers who can fill in at cb or right back. 

Midfield we need to put mcginn back on the right, doug and kamara with teilmans taking up the emi b spot 

Leaving diaby and watkins 

We need to get back to being robust, we have good enough players to score goals, we need to be water tight at the back so the extra midfield protection should help the defence out while a new back 4 is sorted.

Midfield at times, struggle to contain runners, when we are without the ball…..that needs working on.

Newcastles runners had a field day.

It also seems Kamara’s defensive abilities have took a bit of a dip.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I don't think anyone saw the Newcastle game as a gimme and if they did they were clearly out of touch with reality. Newcastle were favourites, at home with a big crowd behind them, and only lost twice at home in the last 12 months to Arsenal and Livsrpool. Add to that we haven't won there in nearly 20 years then you're clearly getting ahead of yourself if you expected to win comfortably.

What shouldn't have happened is getting battered as it should have been a far closer scoreline if you compare the two starting lineups and I attach most of that to our high line which could have shipped more goals had Martinez not saved three times from one on one chances. Clearly something to be looked at.

Sorry, my wording misrepresented my point, I have corrected it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

We are clear favourites for this one, first home game, and we have a very good record against Everton who are obviously a side nowadays struggling to stay up. I'd be very surprised if we dropped points and if we do i would be very concerned.

We must win our home games against the sides that finished bottom half last season or it's going to be one long season. First we need to tighten up defensively because we looked all at sea against the barcodes. I'm not sure if Everton have as many runners in behind, I don't think they do, and I think we'll dominate possession, but we have to be very careful out of possession and not be so open like we were against Newcastle which was similar to how we played under Smiyh and Gerrard. Everton are likely to want to get something from set pieces under Dyche so again there we have to be diligent because we weren't against Newcastle. Emery is known for being a more pragmatic, defensive minded coach so I'm very confident he'll fix it quickly.

It's all well and good saying the season is long and we don't need to win here, but we really do. If we can't beat Everton at home what makes us think we'll win at Burnley or home to Palace and Brighton, let alone Liverpool and Chelsea away? Football is about momentum and if you start **** up in the games you should win it becomes a dangerous cycle.

We are just as desperate to win as them if not more so because if we don't we really are playing catchup.

Momentum is key as you say, but on Saturday we got so much wrong, apart from the tragic injury.we also had a few ball watchers,as opposed to ball stoppers…that has to change.

• Like 2

This will be a tough game, they have big physical strength in their side which we struggle with, onana, doucure, tarkowski.....if we can get out of this with a 2-1 win i will be happy considering all that has happend in the last week. Just get 3 points on the board come what may

• Like 1

Nervous about this one as we need to be winning the majority of our home games if we're to challenge for Europe again.

2-1 Villa in a cagey game I'm saying.

Coutinho with a worldie.

Edited by dubliner
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 10:20, MrBlack said:

You stumbled on the issue we have with no Moreno. We don't have a (good) attacking wing back.

Digne is better than Cash at it, but not good enough that we can then accommodate a very defensive right back, such as Konsa. But the same applies in revers, so putting Pau at left back and Cash at right back leaves us completely lacking in support from them further up the pitch. I'd argue its worse. 

Cash had a mare, so did konsa. So I see Konsa being moved to play right back (allowance for his great previous season). Cash dropped. Pau & Carlos in the middle. Digne on the left

In midfield there isn't really anyone that played well at Newcastle, but we looked worse after changes were made. So I'd stick with the plan we had last time for the most part.

Kamara and Luiz middle, McGinn on the left. But I'd bring Philogene in on the right in place of Bailey.

Diaby and Watkins picks itself up top. 

Losing Mings is a tragedy, but making wholesale changes as a result won't help matters I don't think

Why McGinn on the left? He didn’t play great there. Move him back to the right. I agree with Philogene for Bailey. But surely it makes more sense to have Philogene on left as he’s right footed so will cut in allowing the attacking left back to overlap? I’d even try Countinho on left for the same effect.