Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

he ran into space on the right so many times and Cash every time just went backwards instead of passing to him, same with Zaniolo with Digne constantly coming back into midfield (appreciate he had been rubbish the few times he did get forward but he did try and get into space).

as soon as we become reliant on Cash and Digne crossing from deep into a full penalty area where we never have any physical superiority, we quickly fall apart.

Edited by VillanousOne

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Consecutive games where he's not been involved at all. 

Hope we can get things clicking again next game. 

I think you are right - He can clearly play, there is little doubt about this, but he does appear to have long periods in games, where his involvement is minimal - I’m sure this will come though. 
And without question he adds strengths to our squad.

I think what's currently evident is that Diaby is less effective against these low block teams. His rapid pace and ability to come short or get in behind is nullified when there's 3/4 players in the box around him. 

I'm sure Unai will find a more niche role for him against these low blocks. Against AZ, he and Bailey would interchange quite often, taking turns who played in the half space and who was out wide.

When we're leading and teams have to come out against us, Diaby has been lethal but the longer the game stays 0-0 or we're losing, he's not set to use his most dangerous weapons - pace, movement, and his accurate transition passing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Still looks a little lost, or lacks the confidence to drive at players, but saw more glimpses today. He's still settling into the team and Unai's system. It will click.

First goal was his run forcing the OG to be fair 

• Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 12:23, AndyClarke said:

Other than a long ball, we are basically reliant on a Dougie shuffle, Kamara smashing someone or McGinn's arse turn to get behind the midfield and at the back four to give Diaby some space.

Lucky us, it wasnt long ago we relied on a long range Westwood shot or a Trezeguet headless chicken sprint to the corner flag!! 

Love him, but we need more from him in my opinion.  I honestly think Bailey has offered more so far this year.  Diaby doesn't do much 1 on 1....  if he's not burning past someone, and he gets the ball with a defender in front of him, he just turns around and passes it back.  With his pace, he needs to take defenders on like a Bailey/Doku does.  That would make him loads more difficult to deal with.  Also needs to bury his chances and improve his final product.  I'm not trying to be harsh, I just think he needs to consistently be the most dangerous player on the pitch, and constantly a threat, considering he's our record signing.

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Love him, but we need more from him in my opinion.  I honestly think Bailey has offered more so far this year.  Diaby doesn't do much 1 on 1....  if he's not burning past someone, and he gets the ball with a defender in front of him, he just turns around and passes it back.  With his pace, he needs to take defenders on like a Bailey/Doku does.  That would make him loads more difficult to deal with.  Also needs to bury his chances and improve his final product.  I'm not trying to be harsh, I just think he needs to consistently be the most dangerous player on the pitch, and constantly a threat, considering he's our record signing.

I'm not sure if skinning players is his game. I assumed it was when he first came in, but like you said, we've hardly seen that at all. He's a very clever player though, that's his game I think.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2023 at 16:28, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

When you are at the game watch his runs off the ball that creates space for others.

Watch the runs he makes for the pass that never comes from Pau or Ezri trying to beat the offside trap.  It will happen eventually.

He is at it all game class player.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

When you are at the game watch his runs off the ball that creates space for others.

Watch the runs he makes for the pass that never comes from Pau or Ezri trying to beat the offside trap.  It will happen eventually.

He is at it all game class player.

Never been to VP unfortunately...  but it's on the list, however I'll never get to enjoy going week in and week out, which I'd love to do, considering I live in the states...  so i have to do my best via the TV.  Again, wasn't trying to be harsh....  I think he certainly draws attention and opens things up, just want him to get on the score sheet a bit more and challenge players 1on1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Doing well…

His individual numbers are good, but look at that - 5 of our players in there and 3 of the top 4! Very impressive and shows how quickly we are progressing as an attacking force under Emery. For context, we still get 3 in the top 15 for the league as a whole (including Moussa in 4th):

wrthrpoithu.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 13:35, Tom13 said:

I'm not sure if skinning players is his game. I assumed it was when he first came in, but like you said, we've hardly seen that at all. He's a very clever player though, that's his game I think.

He's never been a top 1v1 player, more of a wide forward.

I think he's crucial in creating a lot of transitional chances and the last few matches we've played (Forest and Fulham) didn't have a lot of open field for Diaby.

Against the bigger clubs last year, we were missing a Diaby a lot of the time as it was Watkins by himself supported by Buendia/JJ/McGinn. While that trio have their own strengths, Diaby is in a completely other league with his pace and transition ability.

So I'll be interested to see if Diaby is more productive in our next few matches.

His best matches so far have been Burnley, Brighton, and Luton - which all employ a man for man marking system high up the pitch. Spurs and City will press us similarly. 

• Like 1

Â