Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

12 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I've just listened. He said he didn't see the new badge but it is "allegedly" modelled off the past few badges (not just Lerner's?). MOMS said he isn't happy and kept mentioning reporting Heck and co to the FA about the badge (breaching some rules about fan consultation) - which is a bit silly imo 😆

In fairness, I've seen some fan efforts using the Lerner template in the past which haven't been too bad.

The main issue with the Lerner effort was the horrific choice of colour contrast and the initial pathetic lion.

That being said, I'd prefer a total rethink, not necessarily limited by fan input.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Now is probably a good time to review the last survey that went out at the beginning of the season - I'm pretty sure that will tell us what the badge will be like.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/crest-process/

Based on this, they've already told us exactly what the badge will look like, haven't they? In the event it's not liked, specifically highlighting the items below is essentially a free pass to say "but this is what you asked for".

• Predominantly claret and blue
  • A shield - not a circle
  • Aston Villa FC/Aston Villa - not AVFC
  • Left-facing lion
  • Features 1874
  • Features a star

Now, if I can just figure out exactly what "build a picture of our heritage as a traditional club" means, I'm pretty sure we could mock up a design based on the brief above.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

We're going to end up with an abomination like this, aren't we? :trollface:

Villa Badge.png

It’s basically going to be this by the sounds of it. But probably using end colour pallet from the AV150 logo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s basically going to be this by the sounds of it. But probably using end colour pallet from the AV150 logo

There's nothing vibrant about that. And even less so if they use the (correct) dulled out colours from the mark.

So I expect some gold,and I'd expect them to try and make the star less of a sore thumb.

But then, I've not been impressed with anything Heck has done in his 6 months so far so guess we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What worries me is just trying to incorporate everything the fans want into a badge is how we got the Lerner monstrosity in the first place. 

Fans don’t know anything about design. You need someone to make creative decision that, even if they sacrifice some things that the fans think they want, are better for the overall design

Agreed with this.

Designing something by committee is rarely ever going to yield positive results.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

To be fair, and I am a Purslow badge fan, this is still an improvement on the original Lerner one.

I agree. But that’s not difficult to be fair. The Lerner one has evolved to be something just about acceptable. But the original was absolutely horrific 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What worries me is just trying to incorporate everything the fans want into a badge is how we got the Lerner monstrosity in the first place. 

Fans don’t know anything about design. You need someone to make creative decision that, even if they sacrifice some things that the fans think they want, are better for the overall design

A few do, but most don't and you inevitably end up with too many cooks, etc. Design by committee often stinks.

26 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m starting to warm to the round logo. Maybe it’s because it’s currently synonymous with success. It looks pretty tidy at the top end of the table. 

I still don't love it. But not overly optimistic about the next one tbh so keeping it would be far from the worst option. Not on the table though is it 

I’d like the club to innovate every year for five years. Get a new designer, not a committee but one new person each year, to design the badge for the next season.

Everyone knows they’re temporary. At the end of the five years, fans vote on their favourite. It lasts ten years.

The Club Brugge crest is not a terrible place to start if you want to make a round badge and incorporate the gas lamp. Even has a star above it. Obviously we'd need to fit the lion inside so the circle around the center needs to be thinner and the whole think needs to be smarter.

spacer.png

Â