Missing Submersible

chrisp65

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I would imagine the sub undoubtedly had diving knives on board.  That would solve the "how" question. 

I wouldn't be so certain. Not sure amazon will ship knives. 

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I would imagine the sub undoubtedly had diving knives on board

There would have been absolutely zero diving going on, so I doubt that

A remotely operated vehicle (ROV) from UK company Magellan is currently at Jersey Airport and due to be flown to the search site later today.

Their sub – called Juliet – recently scanned the Titanic wreck, producing a 3D view of the entire ship.

Once it leaves, it will take about 48 hours to get to the site – which is beyond the timeline given for air for the passengers.

It will be able to dive the full depth of the site, and the team has a detailed knowledge of the deep sea area having been there recently.

The sub has been ready to leave since earlier in the week but has been held up by permissions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

crazy how bureaucracy has held this thing up. still, will help pad the story out when they make the movie

1 hour ago, regular_john said:

No chance of a positive outcome now, sadly. They haven't even found the thing let alone worked out how to get to it, resurface it etc.

Exactly. They are reportedly on their last day where oxygen runs out today.

There's another type of Sub or machine supposedly being sent to the rescue operation but I think it's now a case of too little too late.

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

OK.........here goes..........

Imagine you were in that situation. 

There's only enough oxygen for 10 hours. But that's based on 5 people breathing it.   

If only 1 person is breathing you have 50 hours.  

If the sub is found with 1 survivor and he's killed the other 4,  is he a survivor or a mass murderer? 

Obviously not exactly the same situation but if you are not already aware of the case it may be worth you reading about R v Dudley & Stephens (1884).

R v Dudley and Stephens (1884) is a leading English criminal case which established a precedent throughout the common law world that necessity is not a defence to a charge of murder. The case concerned survival cannibalism following a shipwreck, and its purported justification on the basis of a custom of the sea.

Wikipedia link

It’s a fascinating story, made all the more curious because Poe wrote a story about a crew that had to sacrifice one of their own and the character who is chosen had the same name as the real life victim in the Dudley/Stephens case. What makes this weird, is that Poe wrote the story nearly 50 years before the real life incident.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Obviously not exactly the same situation but if you are not already aware of the case it may be worth you reading about R v Dudley & Stephens (1884).

Wikipedia link

It’s a fascinating story, made all the more curious because Poe wrote a story about a crew that had to sacrifice one of their own and the character who is chosen had the same name as the real life victim in the Dudley/Stephens case. What makes this weird, is that Poe wrote the story nearly 50 years before the real life incident.

i have so many questions relating to various scenes from the Saw movies...

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly. They are reportedly on their last day where oxygen runs out today.

There's another type of Sub or machine supposedly being sent to the rescue operation but I think it's now a case of too little too late.

I think the moment they sealed the hatch and slid into the water it was too little too late.  This has been nothing more than a recovery operation since the moment the thing disappeared, but no one will say that on national TV when the families and millions at home are watching.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think the moment they sealed the hatch and slid into the water it was too little too late.  This has been nothing more than a recovery operation since the moment the thing disappeared, but no one will say that on national TV when the families and millions at home are watching.

Or when billionaires families are willing to pay you a fortune to go on a fruitless 'rescue' mission.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

crazy how bureaucracy has held this thing up. still, will help pad the story out when they make the movie

There was never any rush. Rescue was always impossible. Once they lost contact with their own ship they were all dead, either instantly or slowly and painfully.

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There was never any rush. Rescue was always impossible. Once they lost contact with their own ship they were all dead, either instantly or slowly and painfully.

I doubt it will be painful. They'll have slipped into unconsciousness and died in their sleep, fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I doubt it will be painful. They'll have slipped into unconsciousness and died in their sleep, fingers crossed.

Trapped in a tin can, drowning on air that has no oxygen left in it? Sounds painful to me.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

OK well we're now at the 1pm where they said the air would run out.

...AAANNNDDD in other news here's a cute kitten playing with a duck. War in Ukraine ongoing....boris johnson.....brexit....prince harry...

I think the sub was crushed early on the descent...

The signal was lost 45 mins before it even reached the Titanic

The banging that was heard is supposed to be done by trapped submariners and to repeat every 30 mins.....as far as I have read this has not been repeated continually, and therefore could be anything moved about by the current at that depth.

The quality of the sub and its construction has been questioned by experts in the field

They have yet to even locate the sub.....(possibly scattered on the sea bed in bits following the crush event)

Why was the loss of signal not escalated to the coastguard for several hours?

I cannot help but feel a little bit cynical over this accident. I think a lot of these companies that have been drafted in or offered to help, know full well that the 5 guys are dead, and unfortunately probably have been for a while now 🙁

Â