Pau Torres

Delphinho123

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Defensively he was poor. We could, and should have been 3 down at HT and it would have largely been on him.

*but progressive stats*

Nonsense. Carlos was better. The goal aside, I thought he was poor 

yeah nah

Yeah the benefits completely outweigh the negatives. Let's face it, if he didn't have a couple of errors/weaknesses in his game then he wouldn't be playing for us. For where we are, I really don't think we can do much better. Though, I do think he's excellent. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah the benefits completely outweigh the negatives. Let's face it, if he didn't have a couple of errors/weaknesses in his game then he wouldn't be playing for us. For where we are, I really don't think we can do much better. Though, I do think he's excellent. 

I don't want to face it. Hate this thinking.

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Let's face it, if he didn't have a couple of errors/weaknesses in his game then he wouldn't be playing for us. For where we are, I really don't think we can do much better.

I both agree and disagree here.

Look at the top clubs in Europe - all of their defenders have been criticised for one flaw or another. John Stones (strength), Eder Militao (concentration), van Dijk (being run at).

• Like 1

Big fan of how he's this really chill presence off the pitch, on the pitch he kind of serenely glides round with the ball looking for clever passes to play, but if he scores a goal he turns into a wild-eyed, nostril-flaring madman for 30 seconds

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's not defensively poor. He just defends in a different way. If you're used to blood and thunder defending, a cultured, positionally sound defender will look weird.

I would say though he drops one bollock almost every game either through switching off or a lack of strength. It's lead to a goal a couple of times, but the payoff it entirely worth it.

It's a bit like the high line. We concede one bad goal due to the high line and people say scrap it despite the net benefit being waaaaay higher.

This^

I actually thought he was worse defensively against spurs that he has been in recent weeks. But he has been in brilliant form lately, and it was only a slight drop. 

No real surprise though as they play with lots of pace and it was always going to be a bigger struggle for him than the teams we've recently faced.

Spurs missed two very good chances (that weren't offside) that on another day could have been on target and threatening the goal. Had they done so, we'd could have been coming back from 2 or 3 down.

All that said,  they didn't go in, and Martinez is quality, so on another day he might have saved them anyway.  And Pau scored himself, so more than made up for his defensive lapses this time round. Much like he has done all season.

Emery plays a brave and risky brand of football, and Pau is crucial to it. We'll get the odd Liverpool like result, but more often than not we'll win, as evidenced by the league table. 

39 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Big fan of how he's this really chill presence off the pitch, on the pitch he kind of serenely glides round with the ball looking for clever passes to play, but if he scores a goal he turns into a wild-eyed, nostril-flaring madman for 30 seconds

Yep. This is so right. I remember him coming on in the home game against AZ after 60/ 70 mins and he looked so calm it was untrue. Serene is the exact word. Like he was in a meditative state. And then as you say he goes mad. Just like the quiet ones who sit around you at VP and never say boo to a goose and then go mental when we score. 

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I both agree and disagree here.

Look at the top clubs in Europe - all of their defenders have been criticised for one flaw or another. John Stones (strength), Eder Militao (concentration), van Dijk (being run at).

John Stones was criticised for way more than that for a while as well. Had loads of clangers in him.

• Like 1

Genuinally think Torres is the closest we've come to a centre back on the level of Paul McGrath.

Every game he's adapting to English football and stepping up a gear; he reads the game ahead of everyone else and is so confident on the ball. He's also one of the best passers of the ball on the pitch. Superb.

If someone is worried about his lack of physicality then i completely understand. The 3rd minute when Kulesevski hit the post. He pushed Pau out the way like he wasnt even there. But strength can normally be worked on.  Ability on the ball as a centre back is far harder. He has some equally good and equally bad attributes.  But the good outweigh the bad as he can open up the whole pitch with that left foot in a way that very very few in world football can do. 

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

John Stones was criticised for way more than that for a while as well. Had loads of clangers in him.

Takes time for players to improve and remove the errors from their game.  I have no doubt that will be the same for Pau here

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Genuinally think Torres is the closest we've come to a centre back on the level of Paul McGrath.

Every game he's adapting to English football and stepping up a gear; he reads the game ahead of everyone else and is so confident on the ball. He's also one of the best passers of the ball on the pitch. Superb.

I dont want to take any gloss off Pau, but I think Konsa is a closer match for McGrath - his timing and reading of the game is excellent, and still improving.

Edited by thunderball

Â