Youri Tielemans

thejoker

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure if it’s a fitness thing but we’ve seen he needs a run of games before he starts looking his best again. 

ye he does, same when he first started coming in to the team after he joined, then again after his injury, seems he does need some game time to get up to speed/fitness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eholm said:

Joy to watch. In terms of progressive final third passes he is streets ahead of anyone else in the squad. I cannot remember seeing a player attempt so many through balls in all my years watching the Villa. The creativity he gives us centrally is vital and could well be the difference betwen top 4 and top 6.

He sees the picture so quickly, and his weight of pass is superb. What a player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

He sees the picture so quickly, and his weight of pass is superb. What a player.

Absolutely mate. I’m still not 100% sure Unai saw him in that SS role when signing him as I always saw him as the competition for Doug. However, as Unai has always said, versatility is essential. 

• Like 2

Shocked he seems to have dodged many critics for last night, was terrible - wandered around like people were lucky to come see him. I now plenty of others weren’t great, but I think against the better teams he hinders us too much.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

26 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Shocked he seems to have dodged many critics for last night, was terrible - wandered around like people were lucky to come see him. I now plenty of others weren’t great, but I think against the better teams he hinders us too much.

Personally I think this is harsh - until his injury, he was one of our better performers.

I think he is a class act and yes I agree, he didn’t have a good game last night, still a starter for me. IMO 

32 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Apart from the  Man City game?

2 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Personally I think this is harsh - until his injury, he was one of our better performers.

I think he is a class act and yes I agree, he didn’t have a good game last night, still a starter for me. IMO 

Yes and no. He was terrible for Villa in Aug, Sept and Oct. He was then great for us in November and December. And he’s been terrible in Jan/Feb after coming back from injury. So not really sure what to think about him - a very mixed bag of performances.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

That sounds like a euphemism......You are certainly not joking, Kamara, was poor, as was Dougie.

Its difficult in a game to hook some players, and ignore others......its not Tielemans fault, we only have one experienced CDM, so he has to stay in the team....He deserved leaving out, but he won't be, for the said reasons.

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes and no. He was terrible for Villa in Aug, Sept and Oct. He was then great for us in November and December. And he’s been terrible in Jan/Feb after coming back from injury. So not really sure what to think about him - a very mixed bag of performances.

He's had a couple of good games since injury, so it's not that the injury has ruined him. 

His form is reflective of the team at the moment really. Tiredness does seem to be setting in for Luiz and Kamara, and injuries at the back are severely affecting our build up play.

He's not really a player to lift others around him (not everyone can be), so if they're off it, and McGinn is as well, then I don't see him having much impact. 

• Like 1

One of the more interesting stats that jumps out is how our onxGA per 90 is highest with Youri on the pitch by a good margin.

I like the guy, but he's definitely a cherry on top and not someone that can carry the team and can be an active detriment despite some pretty impressive wins under his belt (City, Arsenal, Sheffield)

image.thumb.png.4403e83d6af2852f140740b21bf9ca0e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

its not Tielemans fault, we only have one experienced CDM, so he has to stay in the team

He's not a CDM. Only time he's really played that role Leicester got relegated. He's an 8 or some of best games for us played as a 10

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Thought he was superb v Man. City but injury came at the wrong time and he looks like his passive self from the last 18 months at Leicester since his return.

He's capable of so much when on top form but in number 8 role it's simply Luiz over him all day if it comes down to that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, supermon said:

Should have scored though, but great having in the team. His passes are lovely, can't wait for us to have a Youri, Buendia option next year.

Agreed he fluffed the chance which wasn't good. I thought he linked the midfield well in the first half with his forward passing.

Does lots of lovely stuff but also very careless on the ball and a better team than Fulham might have punished some of his giveaways. Frustrating to watch in a similar way to Buendia, but with a more languid approach to recovery when he loses the ball. If he were more consistent and more athletic we probably wouldn't have been in the market for him though.

• Like 1

Â