Youri Tielemans

thejoker

That's more like it, that's the player we all hoped we had signed. 

Clearly, he's better utilised further forward. His passing is the closest to Buendia we have, they both love a risky ball but when it comes off, it splits teams apart. 

Hopefully he can now kick on. 

Got to hand it to Unai's flexibility. Out of possession, played Youri as second striker to keep him away from the midfield press. In possession, shifted him into the double pivot and kept his touches on the edge of the middle third and the AZ final third where he's most useful.

Changing the structure to get the most out of his players.

And good fight from Youri to set up McGinn's goal as well.

• Like 1

If Unai has tweaked personnel to be able to play all 3 in some games, at a level as high as today, then we are laughing.

Obviously his best game in a Villa shirt by far, just superb and MOTM for me. 

• Like 1

Absolutely superb tonight. Great higher up the pitch, great pressing, and great linking up to the forwards when he dropped back towards the end of the game. As others have said, it was nice to see a system with Luiz and Kamara playing with him. 

On 05/10/2023 at 22:09, AndyM3000 said:

The Luiz/Kamara positions don't suit him. He wants to be about 10-15 yards further forward, he can play passes but he's trying to play them from deeper than he used to for Leicester, maybe that's why a lot of them are under hit.

Will take some time to work out how best to use him and for him to fully adapt.

Glad to see Unai reads my posts.

Funny how he looked back to his pre-season best (and arguably better) when playing in a midfield filled with other players on his wavelength.

He doesn't seem to be able to carry a midfield that is below him,  or lift his game when he feels like he's being used as a backup.  Hopefully this game gives him the confidence to be able to do a bit more of both of those as and when needed this season.

But when he's in a first choice 11 (with a couple of exceptions at centre back), he's shown he can deliver. 

Man of the match for me today. 

Â