Youri Tielemans

thejoker

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Will be a shocking neglect if we don't pick up on this during his medical.

Let’s hope it’s not the  same bloke who did Courtinho ‘s

• Like 2

Superb bit of business this, so much depth in our midfield now, Kamara, Dougie, Tielemans, Mcginn, Ramsey, Dendonker. Admittedly he's fall off abit over the last 12 months or so but people saying he's overweight, legs have gone 😳 he's 26yrs old ffs 🤦‍♂️ can be a number of things regards his recent form, leicester been dog awful, manager Brendon Rogers. What we have here is a player potentially in his prime, international & European experience & under a manager in Unai Emery who is known to get the best out of players, its what he his brilliant at we've seen it 1st hand ever since he walked into the club. Think we've got a baller here once Emery has got his hands on him & shaped him to how we play. Great work Lange & Co 👏👏 very well play.

On 05/06/2023 at 19:00, MaVilla said:

not implying we will or wont sign him.

Gregg Evans saying something though, is basically the same level as Bob Down the pub saying it, Gregg Evans knows about as much about Villa's transfer dealings as Slippy Gerrard does about coaching.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aye. We're Vultures. Picking off players that made their name elsewhere:

• Jacob Ramsey
  • John McGinn
  • Tyronne Mings
  • Emi Martinez

Vultures, I tell you!

And don’t forget selling our home grown academy star for £100m … we’re such vultures! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those worried about his legs being gone due to playing lots of games at a young age.

Seems he has not used those same legs for the past 18 months so should have evened itself out!

Great start to the summer clever business now onto the rest 👌 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t get why it’s bitterness or why loads of people are giving @marklcfc stick.

His view is that Tielemens is spent in the middle of the park. A few posts on here say he “downed tools” last season.

But for some apparent reason, only opposition fans with glowing reviews about their players get respected :D 

So he's Danny Drinkwater mk. 2 yeah? That's a reasoned opinion, not even slightly tinged with bitterness?

5 minutes ago, babyblue said:

Look there are a few things going on here, and not a lot of it has to do with Villa.

People are massively pi**ed off about relegation, it shouldn’t have even been on the cards let alone happen.

They are really pi**ed off with Tielemans, as his attitude the last two years has caused issues. And part of that attitude issue was caused by him seeing out his contract for what he thought was going to be a massive move away.

So for all those problems we’ve had stem from him, not just performances, also how it looks to other players etc to have someone clearly running a contract down… he’s moved to a team who finished lower than we were when we first started offering him massive new deals to sign. 

The frustration is, if you’d signed your contract two years ago and been committed, we could still potentially (maybe unlikely) be having high finishes! There was more at play than him, I’m just trying to explain peoples frustration.

In terms of Tielemans, and I’m not trying to be disrespectful here. The reason he’s ended up with you reflects on how far his performances have dropped off in the last two years. At his height for us he was getting concrete interest from clubs on the next step up the ladder. 

The only frustration aimed at Villa is that he’s taken a backwards step from where we were (not now) when we first offered him contracts! So people are thinking… all that for what!?

Those slating him aren’t wrong, he’s been poor. He really has, it’s not bitterness. BUT…  he had 18 months (his first loan season and then his second full season) where he was genuinely brilliant. 

You know when you just see a player who is on another level. They see things in a way nobody else does on the pitch and it’s just obvious. He was like that!

Nobody really knows what you’ll get. What I would say is that he’s not put any consistency together in terms of several years in his entire career. Monaco fans slated him before he joined us, and I kind of get it now. So even if he’s world class for 6 months, I’d see how it pans out long term.

Realistically, on a free you can’t go wrong really. At worst you’ve got a decent squad player for nothing. 

All very fair IMO.

I have concerns about if he can come back to something like the form he had before. On current form he doesn't get into the Villa midfield. Not a lot of players would tbh since Kamara & Luiz is a great partnership and McGinn has raised his level something spectacular under Emery.

I'm hoping it's was a mental thing rather than ability as much as that would suck for you guys. Looked like a lot of your players had downed tools during the second half of this season and even before that. Remember Vardy and a couple others chatting it up and laughing with the opponents after a defeat towards the end of the season that would have made me furious if it was Villa.

Anyway. A "free" transfer we can't go wrong as you say so long as the money isn't silly. Not read anything that Youri is a wasteman ™ like Drinkwater so that comparison felt silly.

15 minutes ago, babyblue said:

Look there are a few things going on here, and not a lot of it has to do with Villa.

People are massively pi**ed off about relegation, it shouldn’t have even been on the cards let alone happen.

They are really pi**ed off with Tielemans, as his attitude the last two years has caused issues. And part of that attitude issue was caused by him seeing out his contract for what he thought was going to be a massive move away.

So for all those problems we’ve had stem from him, not just performances, also how it looks to other players etc to have someone clearly running a contract down… he’s moved to a team who finished lower than we were when we first started offering him massive new deals to sign. 

The frustration is, if you’d signed your contract two years ago and been committed, we could still potentially (maybe unlikely) be having high finishes! There was more at play than him, I’m just trying to explain peoples frustration.

In terms of Tielemans, and I’m not trying to be disrespectful here. The reason he’s ended up with you reflects on how far his performances have dropped off in the last two years. At his height for us he was getting concrete interest from clubs on the next step up the ladder. 

The only frustration aimed at Villa is that he’s taken a backwards step from where we were (not now) when we first offered him contracts! So people are thinking… all that for what!?

Those slating him aren’t wrong, he’s been poor. He really has, it’s not bitterness. BUT…  he had 18 months (his first loan season and then his second full season) where he was genuinely brilliant. 

You know when you just see a player who is on another level. They see things in a way nobody else does on the pitch and it’s just obvious. He was like that!

Nobody really knows what you’ll get. What I would say is that he’s not put any consistency together in terms of several years in his entire career. Monaco fans slated him before he joined us, and I kind of get it now. So even if he’s world class for 6 months, I’d see how it pans out long term.

Realistically, on a free you can’t go wrong really. At worst you’ve got a decent squad player for nothing. 

Are you saying he’s a bad egg and possible poison in the dressing room?

On a sidenote, I hope you keep Deano, he will get you up no problem especially with the links that Shakey already has 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I don’t get why it’s bitterness or why loads of people are giving @marklcfc stick.

His view is that Tielemens is spent in the middle of the park. A few posts on here say he “downed tools” last season.

But for some apparent reason, only opposition fans with glowing reviews about their players get respected :D 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Human nature. We only hear what we want to hear. There were a fair few people on here worried about his general fitness and the amount of games he’s played at relatively young age when the links started surfacing. 

However, when an opposition fan says the same, he gets pelters!

I suspect any accusation of bitterness would be justified by the various reasoning 

(i) their team has just been relegated.

(ii) their team is losing a player who at some point was worth something for nothing.

(iii) the player seemingly hasn’t been great for their team, this lack of greatness contributes to said relegation. Despite this he has been rewarded with a bumper new contract and continued Premier League (and European) football.

(iv) Leicester and Villa have - sort of - swapped places in just a few years, championship football/finishing in European places. Probably not something to be overly pleased about.

I’m of the view Tielemans doesn’t have to be better than our starting midfield to be a worthwhile signing, I think if he is of more use to us than Sanson or Nakamba then signing him is a good deal for us. For all I know, we could get him up to relative speed this season then look to sell him next summer for a quick, sizeable profit. 

As has often been said (kinda ad nauseam now), if Emery thinks he will be of use then his opinion is worth more than anyone on here, visiting supporter or otherwise.

• Like 2

For all this talk of his last few seasons being poor, he's been putting up better numbers in a number of areas compared to our other midfielders this season, especially in ball progression and chance creation. And for all the deserved plaudits McGinn has had recently it's him in particular that Tielemans seems to outshine. Ramsey at least offers something different to the rest of the midfield in progression through carrying the ball. Luiz comes closest to Tielemans in touch/passing volume and is generally safer in possession and better defensively.

10 hours ago, marklcfc said:

Why didn't they then? He's been available for two years, no one paid anything for him because it's too big a risk as he is absolutely spent.

He's a risk as he hasn't been as effective in recent years, like lots of Leicester players (whats happened to Ndidi?)

Emery is great at getting the best out of players, so worth a punt. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

His numbers are impressive for last season not sure how he has been poor? Wasnt he injured as well?

Numbers might be impressive but he was shite

Don't think it means much though, the whole squad looked poor and they were clearly in disarray

We've seen with our own players how they can go from looking hopeless to great in the right set up

Personally, I think it's a very good signing and a great bit of business.

I think Tielemans will be be just fine once he gets into the swing of Emery's way of doing things and will turn out to be a decent addition to the squad.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

54 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So he's Danny Drinkwater mk. 2 yeah? That's a reasoned opinion, not even slightly tinged with bitterness?

I was referring to his on the pitch ability at the time. I have a few Villa fans who say Drinkwater is the worst they'd ever seen in midfield. I honestly think you're in for a surprise here, given what I'd been reading. I'll leave it at that ;) 

Â