The General FFP (Financial Fair Play) Thread

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

Why exactly have Villa/Heck voted against this lol?

Because Chris Heck is an odious little short arse desperate to be seen as one of the big boys.

He's your average obnoxious prick from a working household who gets his first job above minimum wage and suddenly starts voting Tory.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, andycv said:

I wonder if we voted against it due to there being a different (more restrictive) approach for clubs in European competition?

I envision UEFA aligning with the Premier League rule as the PL is their most important UCL stakeholder. PSR ultimately is the responsibility of the individual European FAs and government regulators

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though The Times also suggests a conflicting viewpoint in the same sentence - the sentence starts with "The Premier League has already agreed to replace..."  using the word replace.  But then continues by talking about 85% limit.   I now have no idea lol.

https://theathletic.com/5457496/2024/04/29/premier-league-spending-salary-cap/

The Athletic are much more clear in their claim that it'll be an addition rather than a replacement. Still would prefer definitive clarity from the Premier League itself at this rate.

The introduction of the squad cost rule from 2025-26 was unanimously approved at a Premier League shareholder’s meeting earlier this month and is expected to be finalised during June’s AGM.

The spending cap is intended to function as a backstop to the squad cost rule, which will see clubs’ spending tied to a percentage of their revenue.

Edited by wishywashy

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I would really love to know the thinking behind voting against the hard cap. 

Because we’re one of the few clubs it **** over entirely. No enough revenue to not be affected by it, but in Europe so we have to adhere to Uefas stricter rules. We’re stuck in the middle.

I guess we need to win the CL next season to get the boost we need pre-new rules. And build a new mega stadium. And bring in a few far eastern players. And put up the balti pie price.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Because we’re one of the few clubs it **** over entirely. No enough revenue to not be affected by it, but in Europe so we have to adhere to Uefas stricter rules. We’re stuck in the middle.

The salary cap will literally not affect anyone at the proposed 4x lowest earning team, this year only City might have come close to going over it depending on bonuses paid on their CL win. 

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though The Times also suggests a conflicting viewpoint in the same sentence - the sentence starts with "The Premier League has already agreed to replace..."  using the word replace.  But then continues by talking about 85% limit.   I now have no idea lol.

85% limit for non European clubs will still stay with this hard multiplayer cap. This is not bad news for us at all...the whole 85%~70% cap is terrible for our competitiveness though.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

It makes sense.  The 'big 6' have massive revenues, the cap is so high that they hit the European cap first but can still spend £300-400m or so a season. 

The small revenue clubs not in Europe can now massively outspend Villa up to £300-400m per season.

Villa hit the European cap first rather than the PL cap, so we can only spend £150-200m per season. 

Basically it kills Villa and any other non big 6 club that qualifies for Europe.  

This is literally the worst option of all spending proposals for Villa.  Almost like it was specifically designed to kill Villa and Newcastle.

Explains why the club would vote against such a measure 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

The salary cap will literally not affect anyone at the proposed 4x lowest earning team, this year only City might have come close to going over it depending on bonuses paid on their CL win. 

It will allow clubs with rich owners not in Europe to spend vast amounts as they are so far off the cap they have massive head room.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It will allow clubs with rich owners not in Europe to spend vast amounts as they are so far off the cap they have massive head room.

No! They will still be subject to 85% rule 

• Like 1

Voting on stuff like this for teams like us, west ham, Newcastle etc is going to be weird because do you vote on it based on the 6 teams above you or do you vote on it based on the 80+ teams below you 

Id obviously like to negatively impact the 6 teams above us but I'm not sure the club see it that way 

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What stopped them now? FFP? Which is also affecting us badly, given we have to likely sell Ramsey or Luiz to squeeze through our 3 year period... 

And  how is that bad really? If we don't get Europe one season, we can then outspend others following season? Getting to Europe every year is extremely unlikely anyway given we have big 6 and likes of Newcastle, West Ham always around. 

Edited by Alakagom

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

Does this allow the non-euro teams the ability to spend more on some of our fringe players, i.e Dendonker.

We simply don’t know. The PL will make its proposal during the June AGM. Anything now is pure speculation. 

• Like 1

One thing these new salary caps and revenue/wages restrictions mean is that new stadium is almost a necessity to keep up with the big 6. Can't see any other way Villa can keep up. Which I'm sure they know it too given the recent appointments to the board seem to indicate as thus. 

Â