The General FFP (Financial Fair Play) Thread

Marka Ragnos

There doesn't seem to be a general Other Football FFP thread, and wow, I feel we really need one. The AV FFP thread is there, but my interests aren't just Villa. Please note this is not intended as a place to critique owners, but to discuss FFP. 

The big question I have is, are there any online lists or web resources that track where individual clubs sit in terms of FFP restrictions? That's something I can find almost no data on. FFP all just seems very vague and scattershot, informationally.

(This thread topic doesn't seem like it lends itself to much humour, but can we please have some obligatory joke posts now to get things rolling? Or how about some awkward silences?)

Edited by Marka Ragnos

38 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this but apologies if it’s been discussed already.

It's about damn time. 

Expect to see the likes of Chelsea and United fall off with time as they've been letting the money paper over the cracks of their poor decisions over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You'll see further back in this thread I was calling for this. Set the cap as the average of the top 10 or 20 teams in Europe average income. This will maintain a competitive edge in the sport and also allow teams who are further behind to spend closer to the levels of the top teams

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I mean, on paper it's all well and good but if they already can't enforce the rules against clubs like Man City and PSG who employ armies of lawyers to keep them from getting sanctioned for financial rule breaking, all it does is preserve the status quo.  

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You'll see further back in this thread I was calling for this. Set the cap as the average of the top 10 or 20 teams in Europe average income. This will maintain a competitive edge in the sport and also allow teams who are further behind to spend closer to the levels of the top teams

As clubs now report the squad cost information, UEFA can set a cap on it. Squad cost being 70% of income they can then average say the top 10 most expensive squads and say that's the new cap and that comes in 3+ years from now. 

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I mean, on paper it's all well and good but if they already can't enforce the rules against clubs like Man City and PSG who employ armies of lawyers to keep them from getting sanctioned for financial rule breaking, all it does is preserve the status quo.  

This is not retrospective like existing failed rules are. It's more like La Liga's which has teeth

2 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

I'd like to see something like Major League Baseball here in the States.  Its a soft cap.  You can choose to exceed it- but if you do- you pay a luxury tax.  That tax goes into a fund for the betterment of the league- or in this case- the English Pyramid in my opinion.

In MLB most teams try to avoid paying the tax.  I'd also like to see a 'floor' cap as well.  A league minimum that must be spent on teams to try and be competitive.  That way teams/owners just don't get promoted and yo-yo for the $100million payday.  Force them to spend on the team to try and stay up.

My 2 cents.

Not sure how loaded MLB clubs are or what the financial benefits are of winning the league... but I get the feeling the state owned likes of Man City, Newcastle, and PSG will laugh at any soft cap and enjoy the fact it limits other clubs spending while they spunk whatever they want wherever they want.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

As clubs now report the squad cost information, UEFA can set a cap on it. Squad cost being 70% of income they can then average say the top 10 most expensive squads and say that's the new cap and that comes in 3+ years from now. 

That’s not a flat cap though, that would be a revenue based cap. 

A cap sounds like a great idea, would overnight frustrate the oil club owners and probably see them out of the game. Would drive innovation in the game where advantage is found in other places than financial doping. Would mean that to compete a club simply needs to afford to hit the cap, half of the prem would be on a level playing field almost straight away. Can't see any downsides here. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

A cap sounds like a great idea, would overnight frustrate the oil club owners and probably see them out of the game. Would drive innovation in the game where advantage is found in other places than financial doping. Would mean that to compete a club simply needs to afford to hit the cap, half of the prem would be on a level playing field almost straight away. Can't see any downsides here. 

All the American owners would love it though and I wonder if they have enough of a voice and vote to push it through yet.?

• Like 1

Club ownership by a sovereign nation should never have been allowed and is ruining football. No one in world football can compete with man city... and psg aren't far behind. Something needs to happen to stop football dying as a competitive sport, so hopefully some sort of cap will help. 

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

All the American owners would love it though and I wonder if they have enough of a voice and vote to push it through yet.?

Think they’re nearly half of all prem clubs last time I counted 

15 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I'm not sure how this goes through. If a player for example is earning £250k per week and they set the cap at £120k, how can they legally enforce that player to take a pay cut of that size? 

Does the PFA have a say on it? 

Good for us if they can but, I think it has more than a few hurdles to overcome 

4 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I'm not sure how this goes through. If a player for example is earning £250k per week and they set the cap at £120k, how can they legally enforce that player to take a pay cut of that size? 

Does the PFA have a say on it? 

Good for us if they can but, I think it has more than a few hurdles to overcome 

You say that anyone on current contracts stays as they are until renegotiation or when it ends. 

Â