The General FFP (Financial Fair Play) Thread

Marka Ragnos

The government will be heavily involved, an your right a deal will be a cut, as they will not want to upset the amount of investment or influence these guys have in the country. It will cause serious issues with further investment. Could be another reason why it could be taking so long, wondering what the **** to do.

What do the government and the Premier League actually do which won't affect them geo politcally. Certainly won't involve relegating them to the Championship. I still think they will mostly get off with a technicality.

45 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The government will be heavily involved, an your right a deal will be a cut, as they will not want to upset the amount of investment or influence these guys have in the country. It will cause serious issues with further investment. Could be another reason why it could be taking so long, wondering what the **** to do.

What do the government and the Premier League actually do which won't affect them geo politcally. Certainly won't involve relegating them to the Championship. I still think they will mostly get off with a technicality.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Surely this poses a conflict of interest, the DCMS being in meetings with a Man City delegate while a court hearing is set. Shady as f***!

It's like the murderer chatting to the victim before it goes to court.

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's like the murderer chatting to the victim before it goes to court.

I am not sure how that would work unless it was a seance 😝

• Haha 4

If they do get found guilty, it'll be a completely empty punishment similar to what Saracens got in Premiership Rugby when they got found guilty of salary cap breaches. Relegate them to the Championship but allow them to keep most of their squad and watch them walk it for a season and come straight back up, carrying on as usual. Big players will no doubt leave, but they'd likely still be able to keep hold of enough to absolutely piss the division.

Send them to the bottom of the pyramid please.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am not sure how that would work unless it was a seance 😝

Imagine being dead, and then you get the message you've been summoned to the ouija board or whatever, and you turn up and you see it's the bloke who offed you. You'd be fuming! Be the last person you'd want to talk to. 

9 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

I make this post knowing we've got the **** tories in power, so understand that I'm talking about the theories of a well-run democracy, not the corrupt shambles we currently have, but this is business as usual TBH.

There's a lot to be suspicious about with the PL, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the UK government's interference, but the government will routinely refuse to disclose minutes of meetings.

Allow people to speak and share their thoughts among a small audience without published minutes and you might get valuable insights from very knowledgeable and experienced industry experts that they'd never voice if those opinions were shared and reflected on the companies they represent. It might be controversial views. It might be insights into their business strategy or trade secrets, all kinds of useful stuff ministers might want insight into that there's no way people would talk about in public.

Is that worth it at the risk of covering up corruption? Well, that's hard to say, IMO, because publishing these minutes doesn't stop corruption, it just moves any corruption outside of these meetings into more secretive meetings, and makes any other meetings like this potentially less useful.

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I make this post knowing we've got the **** tories in power, so understand that I'm talking about the theories of a well-run democracy, not the corrupt shambles we currently have, but this is business as usual TBH.

There's a lot to be suspicious about with the PL, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the UK government's interference, but the government will routinely refuse to disclose minutes of meetings.

Allow people to speak and share their thoughts among a small audience without published minutes and you might get valuable insights from very knowledgeable and experienced industry experts that they'd never voice if those opinions were shared and reflected on the companies they represent. It might be controversial views. It might be insights into their business strategy or trade secrets, all kinds of useful stuff ministers might want insight into that there's no way people would talk about in public.

Is that worth it at the risk of covering up corruption? Well, that's hard to say, IMO, because publishing these minutes doesn't stop corruption, it just moves any corruption outside of these meetings into more secretive meetings, and makes any other meetings like this potentially less useful.

It will be exposed in thirty years time as a "cover up" (which is British corruption) but the truth eventually comes out. 🤣

50 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Personally I'm in favour of it, Dr Xi nearly cost us our club, any move towards the majority of clubs running sustainably is a positive for me. 

I know what you mean. But it also puts another fence around those teams with far higher revenue .  As it stands ( and i am only going by the outline 70 percent ) this is how we would have to try and compete with the available 70 percent revenue of others

Man city 443 mill , liverpool 416, man utd 408 Chelsea 336 Spurs 310, Arsenal 258 , West Ham 179.......etc etc ... and Villa 118

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I know what you mean. But it also puts another fence around those teams with far higher revenue .  As it stands ( and i am only going by the outline 70 percent ) this is how we would have to try and compete with the available 70 percent revenue of others

Man city 443 mill , liverpool 416, man utd 408 Chelsea 336 Spurs 310, Arsenal 258 , West Ham 179.......etc etc ... and Villa 118

Only same salary cap for everyone will fix that issue but will never happen for several reasons

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Unfortunately I think the top 6 is the top 6. The stats around what those teams have won in the last 20 years and how many of the champions league places they've taken are ridiculous. I personally don't believe it's possible to challenge them or join them (except maybe for the odd season) and sadly I'd rather teams didn't risk bankruptcy by trying. 

Very sad opinion I know. 

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

How the hell is West Ham’s figure so much higher than ours. I know they had European football last three seasons but only the Conference and Europa. Bigger stadium too  I suppose but they don’t own it so won’t get money from concerts, etc, only match day income. 

I’m hoping we see a turnover figure closer to £250m in our next set of accounts, laughable that in our last accounts it was £178m which is minuscule and not really any better than your Palaces, Evertons etc. Our commercial dept needs to be working night and day to improve this via sponsorships and partnering, if we can get it closer to £300m in the next 12-18 months, while being a way off the Sky 6 teams, we should be able to compete much better for top signings. Getting Champions League this season would help a lot although not guaranteed given the predicament Newcastle are in.

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

How the hell is West Ham’s figure so much higher than ours. I know they had European football last three seasons but only the Conference and Europa. Bigger stadium too  I suppose but they don’t own it so won’t get money from concerts, etc, only match day income. 

I’m hoping we see a turnover figure closer to £250m in our next set of accounts, laughable that in our last accounts it was £178m which is minuscule and not really any better than your Palaces, Evertons etc. Our commercial dept needs to be working night and day to improve this via sponsorships and partnering, if we can get it closer to £300m in the next 12-18 months, while being a way off the Sky 6 teams, we should be able to compete much better for top signings. Getting Champions League this season would help a lot although not guaranteed given the predicament Newcastle are in.

West Ham have higher commercial revenue and higher match day revenue because they have been in Europe with more games and because higher capacity of the stadium. Their stadium is also modern so they can make more from each fan in food and drink sales etc..

It shows where we can get to without CL really as a high bar for European football. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spiezels said:

West ham being london means they get alot of tourist dough too. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

West Ham have higher commercial revenue and higher match day revenue because they have been in Europe with more games and because higher capacity of the stadium. Their stadium is also modern so they can make more from each fan in food and drink sales etc..

It shows where we can get to without CL really as a high bar for European football. 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Also, they probably do get the concert money as we will from the company that owns our stadium.

We lease it for a fee, and take the money it makes.  West Ham have the same setup.

Do West ham get anything other than ticket sales, I know Coventrys deal meant they made no money from food or drink on match days let alone other events held there....like rugby. On the West Hams stadium,  the legal firm that arranged the deal has been sued by the local council as the deal was so bad the council are running the stadium at a loss, paying West ham to use is. 

Latest Deloitte Money League: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68081262

Another year we don't make the list. Apparently we just missed out and were 21st with revenue of £214.4m, about £10m less than 20th placed Marseille: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nswe-problem-laid-bare-despite-28508712

I honestly don't understand how Tottenham's revenue has gone up by £100m, they finished 8th last season!

We need to be making this list every year, we've done well to increase our revenue by about £35m since the year before but we need an even bigger increase this year to try to narrow the gap on those top teams. 

Â