Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Thug said:

I’m gobsmacked by the short sightedness of some fans.

Make as much fun as you want.  

Take what I’m saying out of context if you want.

But being in the Deloitte top 20 financial rankings brings with it safety from the kind of plans that would have left us behind if the European League had to come into existence. Laugh as much as you want at spurs not winning anything, but at least they were invited to THE party.

But hey! At least you could be saying ‘oh but remember we won the third tier of European club competition 30 years ago?’ when having an argument with SHA fans. ‘What a day!’

Argument about what!....don't say football.🤣

Posted (edited)

More importantly… what would Unai and those in charge at the club want most? We’re going for both, but CL football is the bigger draw and what we would most  benefit from and allow us to kick on… attract better players and build a stronger squad… which would help and allow us to consistently compete for cups or trophies in future and try to keep ahead of the chasing pack… progression and momentum…

We can go for and achieve both… don’t have to sacrifice one for the other… 

Lovely to win a trophy… but this might be our best chance at getting into the top, elite competition and becoming a more formidable side with sustained progression and success… and that’s what Unai will want and why he is committed to us. We will be stronger and better placed to win trophies…

But we don’t have to choose and we don’t have to argue… to each their own. We’re not there yet but there is a hell of a lot to be thankful for and with Unai… we won’t be looking back…

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Well said. I mean, four years ago we were wondering if the league cup final would impact oir survival chances. five years ago we were teying to get promoted via the playoffs.

We have come a long way. UTV

If we could show the same class as our manager… our fans and club would actually be the best in the world!!! There’s too many sickening fanbases these days or groups within them…

What actual reason is there to fall out with each other now? After all the crap that we’ve been through… this is like mana from heaven!! 😂

We should all be united and supportive… save the aggression and flak for the actual opposing forces out there! 😆

There are a lot of clubs and many people in the media inc ex pros that don’t want us to do well or upset the applecart… lovely to see them sweating and upset 😂 they can’t take it! They will try anything in an effort to destabilise us… but it’s not gonna work and Unai is here to stay!

If we wanna throw shade at anyone… let’s reserve it for them! 😆

And laugh in their faces when we actually do achieve something… 

• Like 1

I think both arguments have merit and it's wrong to pretend that the other side doesn't.

Trophies are the thing you never forget and whether it's the Conference or not, the players have had to go through a lot to get where they are now. It is not a joke competition at all - all the clubs that have featured have gone balls to the wall to win. 

The CL could be key to accelerated development with all the finance it brings but we've seen teams qualify for it and not really ever do anything. Spurs are a prime example of it. What have they actually done in the last ten years? 15? They've won as many trophies as we have in that time. 

Both are important things for the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

I'd prefer to win the EUCL trophy AND qualify for UCL.  But if I had to pick one- give me UCL money every day and twice on Sunday.  Yes I'd love to win a trophy now.  But long term UCL is better:

1.  Allows AVFC to improve the overall squad- better players, better depth, etc etc.

2. An improved overall squad will make AVFC much more competitive in domestic cup runs- which will improve our chances to win League or FA Cup- which have European ties if we falter in the League.

That is my rationale and how I foresee Villa winning a trophy or 2 in the next 5yrs.  I see us winning a Cup or 2, maybe a European trophy thru cup entry if we don't finish top4 one year.  I have full faith that UE will get us silverware- thats why I'm not bothered about EUCL this year and focused on UCL qualification.  UTV

Long term the champions league MIGHT be better. 

Or we could qualify once, get knocked out and never qualify for the competition again. 

• Like 1

We have already won an European trophy 2 tiers above the conference so with all due respect it won't be as impactful for us like it was for a club like West Ham 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

If the party happens again and we’re invited, I hope we tell the party to **** off.

Football isn’t (or shouldn’t be) about money. It’s shit having theoretical discussions over FFP and how selling youth players is better et al.

It isn’t shortsightedness, it’s just not football. 

I guess that explains your thoughts.  Which l, as I’ve maintained, are fair enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

I would dissect almost every word of this absolute drivel but I'm pleasantly surprised that many people already have. I really wish you knew how terribly you come across with this post or how unbelievably ignorant you are. But explaining why would a complete waste of time. You'd never understand.

As terribly as calling someone a spoilt brat?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think we’re on the cusp of something greater with absolutely zero guarantee that it occurs. Thats why winning something is so huge - it simply doesn’t happen often at all.

It’s happened twice for Villa in my lifetime (a 3rd rate trophy on both counts, too!) and those moments were amazing. I remember the goals so vividly compared to basically anything else that I’ve watched (some exclusions; the 3-2 win at Goodison is etched in my memory as is beating Ajax at Villa Park with Laursen scoring for some reason). That’s the absolute joy in watching football - the chance to win something.

I think there’s every chance we finish top 4 this season and don’t next season. There’s no guarantee it continually happens - just look at Newcastle.

But then I’m also pretty old school and would have low ticket prices and improved staffing at the ground so the whole experience is far more affordable - particularly in the current economic climate. I understand this is SHA mentality rather than accounting 101, but football should be about the fans; not the money. 

You are happy to meander around mid table and get to a cup final once every 20 years. If that's what makes you happy then fine, but it is 'safe' and unambitious. With the owners and manager we have now we can dare to dream of something a bit bigger than that. However this potential success relies on the CL money, so it is a necessary evil.

We might fall short but let's give it a go, as we don't know if we will ever be in the position to do so again once this era is over.

Edited by Made In Aston

38 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We have already won an European trophy 2 tiers above the conference so with all due respect it won't be as impactful for us like it was for a club like West Ham 

I agree with this, I couldn't believe it when they had an open top bus parade for it, and I'd be embarrassed if we did the same.

For the fa cup or league cup, sure, but for a third tier competition ? Nah.

• Thanks 1

This conference league is basically the modern day equivalent of the cup winners cup imo in terms of stature. Nice to win but way behind European cup(CL)  and UEFA cup(EL) .  For the club getting into the CL is more important we need to seize this opportunity because it’s got far more potential growth than winning the conference league.  We won’t win the CL next year but we’ve still got chances of winning the fa cup and league cup plus kicking on in the league again although it will be tougher because of the high intensity of CL football which will effect our league form no doubt . 

Why does it have to be a choice between the two? 

Go all out on thursday - what will be will be. If the tie is getting away from us than sub on the likes of kesler hayden and kellyman for konsa/watkins

Likelihood is we wont need to kick another ball in the PL if all goes to plan with city spurs. If that changes then theres two games left for the players to give absolutely everything to pick up 3 points in one of those games

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tell you what. If the 5th placed team in Germany can reach the final, why would we go out in the group stage as the 4th best in England?

No reason we can't go far in this. 

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I tell you what. If the 5th placed team in Germany can reach the final, why would we go out in the group stage as the 4th best in England?

No reason we can't go far in this. 

Especially with the new format. Two games from Tier 1, 2 from Tier 2, 2 from Tier 3 and 2 from Tier 4....

9 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Spurs 4 losses were against Newcastle A, Arsenal H, Chelsea A, Liverpool A... most teams in the league would lose these 4 games one after another.... Spurs form is poor last 4 games but the difficulty of thie fixtures is not being considered in this poor form...

In the previous four they also lost 3-0 to Fulham and drew 1-1 at West Ham so their middling form has been going on longer than just losing to top 6.

Beating us at VP is actually their only away win in the league since mid December. In that time we've won five away games.

They also only beat Luton 2-1 with 85th minute goal so I don't think it's a lock they just beat Burnley 3 or 4 nil tbh. Burnley need to make sure they don't go gung ho from first minute as if they sit in they will get chances on the counter against this Spurs.

personally would prefer a trophy. But in this hypothetical being discussed, getting CL qualification would put us in a better position in the medium to long term to consistently challenge for trophies. It may never happen (see: Spurs), but even now they still have an excellent platform to do it with their financial standing. The flip side is Leicester (maybe not a good example because they won the league), but you could win a singular trophy and still have that PL 'also-ran' status, and always run the risk of relegation or stagnation. I want to ultimately see Aston Villa fight for league titles and the UCL, and while winning the UECL right now would be amazing, if given a straight choice I feel I should go with my head rather than my heart and pick CL.

• Like 1

Every club is in football to win trophies, whether non league, Sunday league or any league. Its what it's all about and what it was all about long before money started dictating things. Everyone wants to play or see their club in the best competitions but winning silverware is really what matters. 

IMO the argument over CL or ECL is so pointless. It's about the here and now. Worry about the CL when we are there, not before.  

• Like 1