Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Apologies for the typo, but you talking about goal difference, going level etc is wrong.

On Saturday City win, they go 2 points ahead of Arsenal. On Sunday Arsenal lose.

City go into the Spurs game with the chance to win the title by going 5 points ahead with one game remaining the following weekend.

Don’t be silly….all good. 
yes totally get your drift and do agree that it’s highly unlikely that they don’t keep their foot on the pedal. 

All hearsay anyway brother, it’ll all be over by Monday 🥳🥳

This Spurs team - Gung Ho, loose AF at the back, tactically suspect at set pieces, don't match up well to this Citeh side - keep it tight, dominate possession, numerous runners, attacking overloads.
I think Citeh win by 3.

Of course, there's always a chance of an upset. Which will be Spurs 2 - Burnley 2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

This Spurs team - Gung Ho, loose AF at the back, tactically suspect at set pieces, don't match up well to this Citeh side - keep it tight, dominate possession, numerous runners, attacking overloads.
I think Citeh win by 3.

Of course, there's always a chance of an upset. Which will be Spurs 2 - Burnley 2.

I think there is more chance of us beating Liverpool or Palace than there is of Spurs beating City. 

City are going to steamroll them on their way to their 4th title in a row.    

City should have beaten Real Madrid about  6 -0  and  drew  1-1 

I'll be a lot happier once spurs are 4-0 down with a few minutes to go 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Spurs had 5 tough games in Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool an City (to play). I was going to be surprised if they lost all 5.... so I think they'll get something from City... I'm hoping that they drop points to Burnley...

I understand the logic and makes sense before the run of fixtures, but they already lost the first four games. In terms of probability it’s just a one off against City

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

That isn’t what he said? He just said it may come down to the Spurs vs Man City game and Spurs have a good record against Man City.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Spurs are at home that's the only worry for me where City have a shocking record.

This one? Rolf Harris – Two Little Boys (1969, Vinyl) - Discogs :D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Not convinced by this, to be honest.  I think qualifying for the Champions League long term has an impact over players choosing to join... but you're probably more likely to be shopping in the higher end market with players from other Champions League-qualifying clubs.

As a one-off season accomplishment, I don't think hitting the CL for a season necessarily attracts better players.  I don't think it did for Newcastle, or Leicester or even really Spurs and they've qualified a fair few times.  We bought Bailey and Diaby from Leverkusen, Pau Torres from Villarreal, got Kamara in on a free etc as a team who were languishing in the Premier League and then hitting top half.  They didn't come to a CL club and (I imagine) that's the sort of market we'd be looking to delve into again this summer.  There's an argument that if it came down to, say, a choice between us and Spurs and everything on the table was incredibly similar then playing in the CL for a season might sway it... but I'm really not convinced.

Personally, I'd rather win a trophy.  That isn't having "SHA mentality".

(Edit: and calling it a “shitty trophy” - just wow.)

You’re absolutely entitled to having your opinion, and if we all had the same opinion, then the world would be a boring place.

Calling people ‘spoiled brats’ if their opinion differs to yours is… well… spoiled bratish.

And ‘shitty trophy’ is in the realms of relativity. 
To qualify for the champions league you have had to perform better than 3 of Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Man Utd for 38 games.

Dont belittle the achievement of finishing 4th.

(I know you did neither.)

Edited by Thug

For anyone in any doubt as to which you would ‘prefer’

https://theathletic.com/5466833/2024/05/04/champions-league-qualification-prize-money-earnings/#

The simplest starting point is what qualification as one of the 36 competing clubs will bring: a cheque for €18.6m, up from the €15.6m of this season.

Now compare that to WINNING this years Europa conference league :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#:~:text=Reaching the knock-out stage,the champions receive €5%2C000%2C000.

Yh, €3,000,000

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see which would benefit THE CLUB more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thug said:

For anyone in any doubt as to which you would ‘prefer’

https://theathletic.com/5466833/2024/05/04/champions-league-qualification-prize-money-earnings/#

The simplest starting point is what qualification as one of the 36 competing clubs will bring: a cheque for €18.6m, up from the €15.6m of this season.

Now compare that to WINNING this years Europa conference league :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#:~:text=Reaching the knock-out stage,the champions receive €5%2C000%2C000.

Yh, €3,000,000

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see which would benefit THE CLUB more.

Yeah, that’s great for Balance Sheet FC but it doesn’t add anything to our trophy cabinet. 

As I said before, it depends what the point of football is. If it’s to win things then the prize money for the ECL is irrelevant. If it’s to get more money, then the CL qualification is better.

The “4th place trophy” used to be a pisstake of Arsenal. People bang on about Newcastle not being a “big club” because they haven’t won anything for 50 years or whatever. That’s - generally - what fans remember. It’s what the big occasions are about. Not finishing 4th.

As you say in the other post above, finishing 4th (or even 5th!) is a great achievement for us as a club. No-one really expected it this season (bar Troy Townsend) but it’s just a league finish.

Give me winning something over that any day of the week.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, that’s great for Balance Sheet FC but it doesn’t add anything to our trophy cabinet. 

As I said before, it depends what the point of football is. If it’s to win things then the prize money for the ECL is irrelevant. If it’s to get more money, then the CL qualification is better.

The “4th place trophy” used to be a pisstake of Arsenal. People bang on about Newcastle not being a “big club” because they haven’t won anything for 50 years or whatever. That’s - generally - what fans remember. It’s what the big occasions are about. Not finishing 4th.

As you say in the other post above, finishing 4th (or even 5th!) is a great achievement for us as a club. No-one really expected it this season (bar Troy Townsend) but it’s just a league finish.

Give me winning something over that any day of the week.

As the saying goes, each to their own.

I would want what’s best for Aston Villa, not the ability to brag about a 3rd rate European trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thug said:

I would want what’s best for Aston Villa, not the ability to brag about a 3rd rate European trophy.

We haven’t won anything for coming on 30 years. I’d love a “3rd rate” trophy to brag about. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thug said:

What's best for Villa is to win a trophy, because that is the point of football.

You could argue qualifying for the Champions League will put us in a better position to win trophies in the future but then, look at Spuds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

Forget 3rd rate. I want any trophy at this stage 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What's best for Villa is to win a trophy, because that is the point of football.

You could argue qualifying for the Champions League will put us in a better position to win trophies in the future but then, look at Spuds.

Nonsense.

whats best for Aston Villa is generating cash.

Whats best for YOU is us winning a trophy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Thug said:

Nonsense.

whats best for Aston Villa is generating cash.

Whats best for YOU is us winning a trophy.

God bless the sport of football. 

(Edit: I actually think you have it wrong anyway. What’s best for Aston Villa is winning a trophy. What’s best for Aston Villa fans is winning a trophy. What’s best for our owners is cash dolla.)

Edited by bobzy