Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Spurs winning would only change the odds in a minor way. Spurs winning by only one goal is a good result. Means a one goal defeat to Liverpool for us means Spurs need to beat City really 

I hope Spurs beat Burnley 7-0 and you declare the season over again.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Can we please not panic on Saturday night if spurs beat Burnley?

Thank you.

Agreed. That Burnley game though is not a give me for Spurs. Burnley are in last chance saloon as fail to win and they are down.  Their form pre Newcastle at the weekend was also very good. In the previous 8 games they had lost just once which included taking points off West Ham away, Chelsea away and Man Utd away. They are in better form than Spurs. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Agreed. That Burnley game though is not a give me for Spurs. Burnley are in last chance saloon as fail to win and they are down.  Their form pre Newcastle at the weekend was also very good. In the previous 8 games they had lost just once which included taking points off West Ham away, Chelsea away and Man Utd away. They are in better form than Spurs. 

They need to attack the spurs left side of defence.

Burnley can score but they are so bad at giving away sloppy goals from over passing in defence.

Man City are going to need to beat Spurs regardless.

If City win on Saturday they go top, and only Arsenal losing to Man Utd would keep City top. Beating Spurs will put them top and put it in their own hands for the final day.

If Arsenal lost then City would win the league by beating Spurs (it'd put them 4 ahead with 1 game left). 

City will want/need to win against Spurs. The way they've been shipping goals lately (13 in 4 games now) you've got to fancy a bang in-form City to score a couple.

I had a look on Tottenham forum and their equivalent of this thread, and none of them are even talking about finishing fourth, it's all about what they have to do to avoid being caught by Newcastle, Manchster United or Chelsea.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I had a look on Tottenham forum and their equivalent of this thread, and none of them are even talking about finishing fourth, it's all about what they have to do to avoid being caught by Newcastle, Manchster United or Chelsea.

That's because it's 95% chance we end 4th. Bit the 5% is what we fear despite it being highly unlikely. 

What will probably happen is we'll lose to Liverpool, Spurs beat Burnley and they lose to City and it's over. However, it'll be stressful for us watching Spurs City 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zero7 said:

We best Man City and arsenal at villa park 

We were underdogs in those games. Man Utd and Chelsea x2 we were seen as favourites whilst Spurs was 50/50. Could probably add Olympiakos to that list too. Not handled those games well. 

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thank you.

Whilst people can make a case for Burnley getting something because of the need to stay up, I’m sure most people including myself see Spurs winning that game so there shouldn’t really be any panic.

I will only start panicking if Spurs get something against Man City but even then we can get it sorted ourselves the night before, but this is Villa. Villa never do it the easy way. 

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thank you.

But then what would we do?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, but more recently the two goals Liverpool let slip had similar impact. 

Let's hope Burnley have fight in them. They know a win puts safety in their hands of Chelsea keep winning and do Forest 

Could be a situation where Palace are literally playing for nothing not even league position when we play them. 

If Spurs win by only one goal against Burnley and we draw or lose by only one goal to Liverpool. Spurs will need to beat City 

So many permutations. I'm just backing Spurs for 4th to do the emotional hedge and leaving it at that. 

this one concerns me. plenty of teams in this situation have sent teams down on the final day. having zero pressure on their result gives their plays total freedom and/or gives them the opportunity to experiment with new tactical ideas meaning that the hours of meetings unai has with the players in advance of the game could be irrelevant

but if we need a result there then so be it. chances are all that we'll need is a draw anyway

Obviously I would have liked us to wrap it up yesterday with a win but it wasn’t the case.

I cheer myself up by think about the incredible 3 points we picked up at the Emirates a couple of weeks ago.

Without those the situation would be a lot more precarious 

UTV

17 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Obviously I would have liked us to wrap it up yesterday with a win but it wasn’t the case.

I cheer myself up by think about the incredible 3 points we picked up at the Emirates a couple of weeks ago.

Without those the situation would be a lot more precarious 

UTV

Conversely dropping points from 2-0 up at home. Twice in our last 3 home games. Football is about the swings of the expected and unexpected 

The only point we'd need to "panic" is if Spurs beat Burnley AND we lose to Liverpool AND Spurs follow it up with a win against Man City.

And EVEN IF that happened, which it probably won't, we'd still secure Top 4 with a win against Crystal Palace.

• Like 3