Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We could still make it over the line without winning any of our games.

there's a thought.

I think we will get 1 more win....but I don't know against who.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Are we ready for Champions league?.....missing out on the Europa, is a huge step up.

Don't get me wrong, I want to achieve it, but I wonder, if we are actually ready for it.

I think we are about as capable of competing as anyone outside the top 3.

We utilise our squad quite well and will have extra players available next season. 

....and we have uni!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Aren't Palace at the beach?

They’ve taken 10 points from the last 12 available , including beating Liverpool at Anfield, beating Newcastle and smashing five past West Ham.  

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Are we ready for Champions league?.....missing out on the Europa, is a huge step up.

Don't get me wrong, I want to achieve it, but I wonder, if we are actually ready for it.

You never know if you ready until you test yourself. Let's don't over complicate it, we might never get a better chance to play in Champions league.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Conference league this season has been great preparation. With the players returning from injury and a couple of quality additions this summer I say we’re ready

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Don't get me wrong, I want to achieve it, but I wonder, if we are actually ready for i want 

I want it too, but no way are we ready, I doubt we get out the group.

It'll be a killer too next season with our small squad.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

No we are not ready.

However there will be time to prepare and add to our squad.Im sure there will be games in the competition where we can compete.

Leicester got to the Quarterfinals.

Its not impossible to make a mark on the competition.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes definitely. Under the new 32 team league system, we are guaranteed 8 games.  Only 4 of those games should be against teams who are actually better than Villa.

We have a really good chance of finishing in a mid-table position, and a great chance of qualifying for the play-off round. In the play-off round, we should play a team of a similar quality to Villa, giving us a decent chance at the knock-out rounds.  

Of course, if we get to the knock-out rounds, we will be massively outgunned, but that’ll have been an amazing CL campaign by that point.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

24 out of 32 teams get through the mega-group stage next season.  Only the 8 worst teams get knocked out, and most of those will be teams who have gone through qualifying rounds to even get to the group stage.

Id expect us to get through to the play-off round.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

A chicken and egg question. Unless you have Champions League and the income that comes with it, you wouldn’t be able to attract and pay for the players to build the squad required for Champions League. If we qualify for Champions League this season, the next and the one after that, I think by then we would be ready for Champions League.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It'll be a killer too next season with our small squad.

well, I think with players back and strengthening, it will make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

A chicken and egg question. Unless you have Champions League and the income that comes with it, you wouldn’t be able to attract and pay for the players to build the squad required for Champions League. If we qualify for Champions League this season, the next and the one after that, I think by then we would be ready for Champions League.

good answer imo

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the new format helps us tbh. Going to get drawn with two teams from pot three and four so there is four games where we can pick up some points. Would like to think we could at least finish in the 9th - 24th bracket where we would make the play off round before the last 16. Not sure many of those teams would like to play Villa over two legs! 

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry mate I never understand people posing this question.  

We play constantly against some of the best teams in Europe in the Premier League and have a very good record against them.  

Newcastle only missed out on going through group stages because of a last minute incident.  

Emery has great European pedigree.  

We have many top level international players like Martinez, Torres etc.  

The best way to learn imo is by experience of doing it.  

We aren’t expecting to win it but given the strength of the PL which we have played well in compared to many clubs from countries in much poorer leagues.  

Then having the mastery of Emery and a summer of further squad adjustments then with 8 games we have a great chance of getting through to the next round in the new format.

it's a question Nick, not an answer.

The reason, I have asked it Nick.....is to get eloquent views like yours.

see.......I get the best out, in you.

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

The reason, I have asked it Nick.....is to get eloquent views like yours.

see.......I get the best out, in you.

Don’t start spreading rumours that I have a best side, I have a reputation to keep 😉

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

Emery said it in his Chelsea post match interview, we have reached our target of Europa League (progression on last season)

Next we go for Champions League...

He will absolutely be ready and he will ensure that Villa are absolutely ready too, it's the fans I'm worried about

• Haha 2