Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We've played 15 more games than Tottenham.

Does european football really need to be like that. 

Surely you could have a cup where the winner doesn't need to play 15 to 20 games to win it. Presumably its just money driving that. 

1 minute ago, colhint said:

If I were Spurs I would try and lose every game. Make sure they qualify for ECL, perhaps then they could actually win something.

Someone who works for me is a Spurs fan and this is very close to his opinion.

It's not that he doesn't want the CL. But they've had the novelty of being in it, and they're so desperate for a trophy they're looking at teams like West Ham last season and us this season and thinking it's better to be in a competition they can win rather than one they'll more than likely go out of early-ish

He certainly doesn't chare the desire to get into the competition like we do.

Hopefully the team feels the same!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Surely you could have a cup where the winner doesn't need to play 15 to 20 games to win it. Presumably its just money driving that. 

I think you have answered your own question. 

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Well we've only played 10 games in the proper Conference league, just that we had no European coefficient so we had to play 2 qualifying games as well. 

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Pep, is that you?

The games are the price of success. If we didn't want to play the games, we could just have thrown the tie against Hibs and we wouldn't have had to play more than two of them. Complaining about beating other sides is the ultimate 'poor winning'. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well we've only played 10 games in the proper Conference league, just that we had no European coefficient so we had to play 2 qualifying games as well. 

That's incorrect. Every team entered the play-off round.

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Surely you could have a cup where the winner doesn't need to play 15 to 20 games to win it. Presumably it’s just money driving that. 

You’re sounding like Klopp / Guardiola 😅

Edited by LondonLax

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Someone who works for me is a Spurs fan and this is very close to his opinion.

It's not that he doesn't want the CL. But they've had the novelty of being in it, and they're so desperate for a trophy they're looking at teams like West Ham last season and us this season and thinking it's better to be in a competition they can win rather than one they'll more than likely go out of early-ish

He certainly doesn't chare the desire to get into the competition like we do.

Hopefully the team feels the same!

Oddly my best friends is a spuds fan and he shares this exact opinion. He just doesn’t want them in a competition they’re not likely to win. “It would be embarrassing”

Spurs fans are completely broken by their “big club” status and not winning anything 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Question to Villa fans

Would you rather get to play in the Champions League and not win it or win the Europa League Trophy? 

Champions League.  We'll have other opportunities to play the Europa, we might not finish in CL spot every year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Question to Villa fans

Would you rather get to play in the Champions League and not win it or win the Europa League Trophy? 

This is the same discussion as 4th or ECL.

It’s

• money vs trophy
  • more probability of keeping players vs trophy
  • more probability of attracting quality players vs trophy
  • Increasing profile of club vs trophy
  • long term benefit vs short term benefit
  • no trophy now vs a trophy now
  • stabilising at this level vs taking a quick win

etc etc

it’s such a hard question to answer….thankfully it’s not one or the other.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Question to Villa fans

CL every time. 

I rather them bigger teams to play and finances, over an “easier” trophy. 

• Like 1

Spurs fans should feel this way - nobody asked them to form the super league - I'd say that merits more embarassment than trying and failing in the UCL.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

We'll play 17 games to win it.

It's about double winning domestic cups. I don't get how it's allowed to be that number.

Why not play 35 european games and play every midweek.

Just now, gilbertoAVFC said:

Getting married on Saturday. Hope the missus doesn't mind a giant projector set-up behind the band.

Don't tell her, and when you're dancing just make sure she is facing the other way.

Alternatively, just don't show up, get confused or summat

39 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Oddly my best friends is a spuds fan and he shares this exact opinion. He just doesn’t want them in a competition they’re not likely to win. “It would be embarrassing”

Spurs fans are completely broken by their “big club” status and not winning anything 

Would he have them quit the Premier League then?