Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I don't mind admitting that I almost obsess over getting CL qualification. I would absolutely love to win the UCL and break our trophy duck, but I'm equally as excited about being in the CL. 

The UCL is a newly formed competition, great to win, but the CL is the tournament I've been watching since I started getting into football and my dream as a Villa fan is to experience that song at VP just once. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Yeah i guess i am then based on your analysis. Would i rather watch Real Madrid at villa park than Bury?  Absolutely.

Would you rather watch Real Madrid at Villa Park, or see Aston Villa lift a trophy is the more accurate analysis.

You go for the former, I'd rather the latter.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tonali was about £60m wasn't he ?

Harvey Barnes was £44m

Livremento was £32m + £8m

and they now have to pay Chelsea something like £28m for Lewis Hall 

Gordon was £40m in the Jan window and could well have been bought with CL money in mind ? 

They could have signed those players anyway without CL, they spent more the season before.

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Villa can reach the Semi's of the UCL next season.
This Dortmund team isn't great all and they did it.

If Don Unai is our manager for the next five seasons and we qualify for CL at least 3 times then I think we’ll definitely make Semi’s at least once. Then anything can happen at that stage. 

• Like 1

Regarding Newcastle’s CL money 

The club said that it expected the Champions League to yield at least £37m, as there will also be additional revenue from gate receipts Etc 

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/newcastle-united-finances-202223

They were spending obscene amounts before and after and barely selling players, hence their FFP issues now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

No, it's measured by how well the teams did the previous year

Right. Thanks for the info. Good to see i was completly wrong!! FFS.

So the whole coefficient thing will be used every season to see who gets that extra place? My interest in it has just completely fallen off a cliff.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Screw the coefficient. It's in our hands to get us there regardless.

This is the reality. 5 games left and 4th is ours for the taking. If we don't take it then we can't blame Man Utd. or West Ham or Liverpool.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Don Unai is our manager for the next five seasons and we qualify for CL at least 3 times then I think we’ll definitely make Semi’s at least once. Then anything can happen at that stage. 

I get at least one very time we win

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

A club like Aston Villa needs CL football AND to win trophies. The manager we have is an expert at both. 

This is the correct answer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

And they didn’t have to sell one of their best players which we might have to do (rumours i know) inorder to balance the books if we don’t make CL

I don't think we have to either, I'd be surprised if we have budgeted that way.  Goes against everything else we have seen.

40 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They could have signed those players anyway without CL, 

well I can't answer that , but say hypothetically  that Villa were interested in Barnes , he then has a choice of Newcastle in CL or Villa in conference league ... it could be a factor

the original post  seemed to be suggesting that they only signed one player , I was just pointing out they made other transfers , you'd have to assume the CL money was a factor in that spending  , same as it will / would be for us ?

58 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Would you rather watch Real Madrid at Villa Park, or see Aston Villa lift a trophy is the more accurate analysis.

You go for the former, I'd rather the latter.

Yup 👍 💯 were we stand 😂. Ive saw us win a trophy so might sway my thinking abit.