Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

19 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Spurs will improve again this season, I can see them reaching 70, Sheffield and Burnley is as close to a guaranteed 6 points as you can get. They could absolutely nick a win and a draw somewhere else. Three wins and a draw from Bournemouth, Brighton, Chelsea and Palace though is probably all we need.

Games at the end of the season always throw up anomalies. Sheffield may (though unlikely) play with freedom once relegated, Burnley might still have survival to play for. Not really any gimmes in this league.

I think 3 wins will be plenty enough for us. And I think we'll get them.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

3 more wins and we are there I think, as we don't seem to do draws really.

Where has 72 points ended place wise over the years?

Since 2018 it looks split between 4th or 2nd. But that’s just a quick, lazy look at the table history.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

Just now, rubberman said:

Games at the end of the season always throw up anomalies. Sheffield may (though unlikely) play with freedom once relegated, Burnley might still have survival to play for. Not really any gimmes in this league.

You can say that again!

Arsenal should give Spurs a tough game, but we have to look after ourselves, Lille and Bournemouth going to be tough games, in theory we should be favorites against Bournemouth, this week will have taken a lot out of us going into that game, and we have at tims stumbled ths season when we're expected to win, but if we play as well as we can do, then we should give ourselves a chance

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Arsenal should give Spurs a tough game, but we have to look after ourselves, Lille and Bournemouth going to be tough games, in theory we should be favorites against Bournemouth, this week will have taken a lot out of us going into that game, and we have at tims stumbled ths season when we're expected to win, but if we play as well as we can do, then we should give ourselves a chance

Bournemouth game is everything now.

They are an underrated good team with absolutely nothing to lose. If we can win that, after a tough couple of weeks we have every chance.

• Like 3

The win yesterday epitomises why we are currently holding 4th spot in the table. In hindsight you have to laugh at the lack of respect for us by certain fans and media who were fully expecting us to fade out of the CL race. I don't think many of us were confident in getting anything out of the game yesterday but looking at the scalps we've taken this season was it really a huge surprise? Less a surprise than Arsenal bottling it I would say. Arsenal didn't lose the game, we took it to them and won it which is what we've been doing for most of the season. The reality check the media crave has not yet materialised and it won't because it doesn't exist. We are what we are and Unai is what he is. An absolute genius.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I think if Villa are 9 points clear and then Spurs win their next 3 (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) then I think they will finish 4th. If they’re dropping points I think those games are where it will happen. 

Concentrating on us though, obviously in an ideal world we want to win the final 5 games, would take us to 78 points. More realistically however, maybe 75 points just about the right target? 

As far as I can see the highest points total in a 38 game league season is 64. 

The highest total achieved in a 3 points for a win season I think is 92/93 - 74 points.

The league win in 80/81 would equate to 86 points now so that will have to be broken next year.

I would love to get 75 points, but even with a pessimistic hat on I don't think Spurs are going to get to 75. 72 is a good initial target, of course if we can get more then great. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Are we mathematically safe yet?

No, points deduction coming in of 40 points for daring to challenge for Champions League place.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

71 71 66 67 71 is 4th last 5 seasons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rubberman said:

For sure.... equally, Arsenal and Liverpool could both be feeling like they've lost the title when they play Spurs, so might not be the worst time to face them either.

26 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Weren't we supposed to be releasing a Netflix style documentary at the end of this season? It could be a special one if so! 

Not necessarily releasing, but having one produced. Hope its true! 

1 hour ago, jayEm said:

Spurs will improve again this season, I can see them reaching 70, Sheffield and Burnley is as close to a guaranteed 6 points as you can get. They could absolutely nick a win and a draw somewhere else. Three wins and a draw from Bournemouth, Brighton, Chelsea and Palace though is probably all we need.

Less games to do it now though. They certainly need to be beating Chelsea I think rather than just play out a draw with them so will be big pressure going into that and they didn't react well to it last time with the two sendings off.

52 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've been running my data over a 14 year period in which 71 points on average is enough to get 4th. If we hit 72 points and only land 5th we could consider ourselves incredibly unlucky.

• Like 2

One points total that isn't being mentioned that would state our incredible progress over the last five years.

There's still a small chance we could surpass the points total we gained when we went up from the championship (76 points). 

To do that with eight fewer games and such a higher standard of opposition on a weekly basis would be ridiculous. Would need to win the last five games to achieve that though.

Shows how far we've come in a relatively short period of time.

• Thanks 1