Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We could do with a poll to see how confident people really are of us getting 4th or 5th and whether that'll equal Champions League football! Is it just bravado/ excitement/ hope or do you truly believe?

I will admit that I am definitely a naturally negative person. Practically 40 years of being a Villa fan hasn't exactly helped my outlook. I genuinely just can't see us doing it. Is that based on reality or trauma?!

4th is looking a step too far. Injuries, suspensions and our harder run in than our rivals makes me feel this is beyond us. If we don't get 6 points from our next two home games, it's fairly safe to say we'll be fifth before Spurs hit their tricky triple header. We're not exactly known for taking our chances when opportunities arise.

So holding on to 5th... 9 points and GD ahead of United. But they have a game in hand, a ridiculously easy run in and the fear of being Man Utd, despite what recent years have shown. Teams will always fear Utd more than they worry about us. Maybe we can stay ahead of them, but wouldn't be placing huge money on it given our current team and form.

So even believing we finish 5th, will PL get 5th spot? Man City easily could be knocked out by Real Madrid, Arsenal will struggle with Bayern Munich and West Ham will lose to Leverkusen. That's not doom mongering, think most would agree. Liverpool should walk Europa and I'd hope we might make Final... although we've got hardest route possible basically.

I just can't see it all going for us. We are huffing and puffing, English teams have stuttered in Europe and... We're Villa.

I resonate a lot with this. Can't shake the feeling of utter dread. 

We are a different team completely in personnel (injuries), but also in performance from first half of the season. 

We were blowing teams away early on and each win since december seems to be us holding on for dear life (sheff utd aside - big whoop). 

Dunno if its tiredness or something else, it just feels on the edge right now. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I resonate a lot with this. Can't shake the feeling of utter dread. 

We are a different team completely in personnel (injuries), but also in performance from first half of the season. 

We were blowing teams away early on and each win since december seems to be us holding on for dear life (sheff utd aside - big whoop). 

Dunno if its tiredness or something else, it just feels on the edge right now. 

The heartbeat and leader of our side will soon return, refreshed and re-energised and bring the verve and impetus we need to see us over the line…

it’s nice being positive 😄

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We could do with a poll to see how confident people really are of us getting 4th or 5th and whether that'll equal Champions League football! Is it just bravado/ excitement/ hope or do you truly believe?

I will admit that I am definitely a naturally negative person. Practically 40 years of being a Villa fan hasn't exactly helped my outlook. I genuinely just can't see us doing it. Is that based on reality or trauma?!

4th is looking a step too far. Injuries, suspensions and our harder run in than our rivals makes me feel this is beyond us. If we don't get 6 points from our next two home games, it's fairly safe to say we'll be fifth before Spurs hit their tricky triple header. We're not exactly known for taking our chances when opportunities arise.

So holding on to 5th... 9 points and GD ahead of United. But they have a game in hand, a ridiculously easy run in and the fear of being Man Utd, despite what recent years have shown. Teams will always fear Utd more than they worry about us. Maybe we can stay ahead of them, but wouldn't be placing huge money on it given our current team and form.

So even believing we finish 5th, will PL get 5th spot? Man City easily could be knocked out by Real Madrid, Arsenal will struggle with Bayern Munich and West Ham will lose to Leverkusen. That's not doom mongering, think most would agree. Liverpool should walk Europa and I'd hope we might make Final... although we've got hardest route possible basically.

I just can't see it all going for us. We are huffing and puffing, English teams have stuttered in Europe and... We're Villa.

I think it’s hard for many to imagine reaching heights or achieving things we haven’t done for many decades now… maybe it is a bit of trauma and the stain of disappointment from the experience of decline and turgid, negative football we had to endure for so long…

I will reiterate what I have said before… this is not the old Villa. Us fans have to shed the old skin too and look at things differently, with more hope and optimism than before. 

Don’t  overlook and forget all of the progress that has been made, all of the “curses” and poor records that have been utterly shattered and already obliterated during Unai’s relatively short tenure so far… hopefully he will be here for many years to come… and continue to be backed by the best owners we’ve ever had too.

More than anything, we haven’t really ever had this pedigree of manager before and we truly do have some outstanding players.

There is so much to believe and root for… it’s worth and actually justified to have some belief and faith this time… for once, it’s not a false dawn and this is just the beginning. 

So many reasons for optimism, and CL (even though I believe we’ll achieve it) isn’t even the be all and end all right now… we went from relegation candidates under SG to a top, top team (who have beaten and dominated teams, top ones too, while playing such impressive and entertaining football) under Unai in such a short time and so, so quickly… it is remarkable…

The progress and impetus is staggering and we have a long journey ahead of us… we must try to enjoy it.

What a trajectory… we can really say UP the  Villa!!!

• Like 2

The only real bad performances in the league since the turn of the year were Newcastle and Spurs. United annoyed me as no way we should have lost that one. 

We are right in it, scrapping for every point.  You can see the togetherness of the squad and that can really help down the stretch, plus having a elite manager. All to play for.

Do you want to bet against us? Feck the rest of them.

Last league 5 games won 3 drawn one lost one and some people think we aren’t in the driving seat for fourth due to us not hitting the performances they’d expect whilst grinding out results…. ok 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Take by your multiple posts that you haven't forgiven John McGinn yet.?

What he did was totally unforgivable until he earns forgiveness on the pitch. I thought he played well v Ajax and hopefully he comes back in the league with a very strong desire to make things right because we desperately need him back to lead us over the line. 

• Confused 1

If we beat wolves and even lose at city we’ve done alright without him. 4 points from 9 isn’t ideal but it’s a tough 3 games. Hopefully McGinn will be refreshed for the final push. 

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Still worried about Man U. They win that game in hand and they are only 6 points behind us. To rule them out would be foolish in my view. 

Should be more worried about finishing above Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool. Far more chance of that happening. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

Last league 5 games won 3 drawn one lost one and some people think we aren’t in the driving seat for fourth due to us not hitting the performances they’d expect whilst grinding out results…. ok 

Totally, 2ppg has been Emery's average give or take a fraction and if we can keep it up we'll be 4th.

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Totally, 2ppg has been Emery's average give or take a fraction and if we can keep it up we'll be 4th.

Key will be the next three games. Because that ppg could easily be 1 over that 5 game period. At best it will be a 1.4 ie 7 points. 

10 hours ago, useless said:

Wolves are the comeback kings, they always win after a defeat, so that will be a tough game, even without Neto and Hwang, they will probably play a lot like West Ham did today, try and cause us problems from set-pieces and get in as many crosses as possible. They also aways seem to be much more fired up for the game than us, treat it like a derby, they will be fired up not just for their own European challenge, but would love to play their part in stopping us getting Champions League

We got difficult challenge ahead, as because two of the next four are Arsenal and Man City away, that puts a lot of pressure on us to get six points from Wolves and Brentford

Spurs

Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a)

Man Utd

Brentford (a), Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h), Bournemouth (a)

I would say 7 points a piece from that for both of them........

If you then gave us 4 points from Wolves/City/Brentford/Arsenal then that would leave it at 

Villa 60 

Spurs 60

United 54 

Which would have two of the toughest games left done with ahead of Spurs then playing their tough run and us probably needing to take 9 points from Brighton/Bournemouth/Palace/Liverpool/Chelsea to get at least 5th