Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Top four is going to be difficult, even if we'd have won today it would be far from guaranteed, the point is just because Spurs have won today that doesn't suddenly make them clear favorites, we still have a good chance

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If I were to bet I'd bet on Spurs getting 4th and not us but don't know why you're so certain they're "not throwing away 4th" (how can they throw it away when they don't even have it yet?). The scoreline today doesn't really tell the full story and of course, we literally beat Spurs in their own ground a few months ago and could easily finish below them.

Look at their injuries when we played them? They had 2 centre halves out, Madison out, Bisouma out and Bentacur injured in the game. Even then they missed sitters. I hate to say it but if Unai had that squad he would be challenging for the league.

• Like 1

Almost identical conversations to the ones that were had after the United loss...and we recovered from that. 

We've done a really good job of not letting losses fester and turn into a long run of poor results, so hopefully we carry that on.

It'll be harder with the injuries and suspensions we have this time around, but there's no point throwing in the towel just yet. Emery won't. 

Edited by May-Z
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Look at their injuries when we played them? They had 2 centre halves out, Madison out, Bisouma out and Bentacur injured in the game. Even then they missed sitters. I hate to say it but if Unai had that squad he would be challenging for the league.

And look at our injuries today, not to mention being down to 10 men for much of the game?

• Thanks 2

Villa:  West Ham (A), Wolves (H), Man City (A), Brentford (H), Arsenal (A), Bournemouth (H), Chelsea (H), Brighton (A), Liverpool (H), Palace (A)
Spurs:  Fulham (A), Luton (H), West Ham (A), Forest (H), Newcastle (A), Man City (H), Arsenal (H), Liverpool (A), Burnley (H), Sheff Utd (A)
Man Utd:  Brentford (A), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H), Bournemouth (A), Newcastle (H), Burnley (H), Palace (A), Arsenal (H), Brighton (A)

Included Man Utd as it's still possible for them... but 8 points is a lot to make up; basically 9 points with their GD.  Very tough to call who finishes 4th from that lot; Spurs with a nicer current run but then a horror run whilst we've got regular tough-on-paper games evenly spaced.  I imagine Spurs are marginal favourites.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

From our perspective we feel our form has been inconsistent since we played Sheff Utd on 23 December.  Yet here we are on 10 March still 4th.

We need to back the squad to get us over the line imho.

Agreed - but Kamara and McGinn both missing from West Ham, Wolves and Man City is huge.  Our strength for a large part of the season has been holding a great high line, then having quick transitions from the midfield into the attack.  I can't help but feel we're very short on that midfield element now and it'll hurt us.  Fingers crossed it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They just beat us 4-0 at Villa Park.  They have everyone back now. There is no way they are throwing away 4th. We need to get 5th.

They aren't 4th, yet??

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They just beat us 4-0 at Villa Park.  They have everyone back now. There is no way they are throwing away 4th. We need to get 5th.

i checked the 5th/6th thing last week, although after the recent weeks game the information has changed slightly, it is as below now.

Man Utd would need to maintain 2 PPG, for the last 10 games to get 67 points.

We would need to drop to a 1.2 PPG scenario over the last 10 games, to also get 67 points.

Manure, so far this season, have averaged 1.7 PPG, so a slight performance spike might allow them to get the 2 PPG they need to reach 67 points.

We have averaged 1.96 PPG so far this season, but with all the injuries and a bit of a drop in form the last 10 games or so, i personally think we wont achieve the near 2 PPG for the last 10 games of the season, however, it would be a real, genuine drop off for us to drop to the 1.2 PPG we would need, to have a 67 point finish.

Even then though, we have an 18 goal difference buffer on Manure (Manure - 0, Villa +18), so in the above scenario, we would still finish above them, as long as we maintain it.

So really, Manure need to maintain 2 PPG for the final 10, and we need to average less than 1.2 PPG.

for reference, 1.2 PPG over the next 10, would mean something like 3 wins, 3 draws, 4 losses, or 4 wins, 0 draws, 6 losses......etc etc)

Anyway, in a nutshell, it would be a real collapse by us, coupled with an amazing end to the season for Manure, to pip us to 5th.

We are Villa ofc, and anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ADVANTAGE SPURS...

Slightly more talent.

One of their best (Maddison) is back from injury, while one of ours (Kamara) is out, one is suspended for 3 matches (McGinn), and several are less than fully fit (especially Pau). (Of course, this could change at any time.)

Momentum/confidence is going upward instead of downward.

No European distractions. (But who knows how long ours will last.)

Slightly better goal difference after today's fiasco. (The red card really cost us in that regard. 2-0 instead of 4-0 and we're still ahead.)

Villa are known to bottle it.

ADVANTAGE VILLA...

More experienced manager who knows the PL better.

Still ahead in points. (Their game in hand doesn't mean anything unless they actually win it.)

Spurs are known to bottle it.

NEUTRAL...

Both still have to play Arsenal, Liverpool, and City.

So, on the whole, I'd say that Spurs have an advantage, but it could go either way.

You can't control injuries, but you can control your temper. If we miss out by 3 points or fewer, the Kamara and McGinn red cards will leave you wondering next summer what could have been.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. But as it stands in their hands right? 

I think they look strong.

Its in their hands but we have the points on the board which is more important.

Spurs game in hand is also against a team they struggle against

4 hours ago, TomC said:

NEUTRAL...

Both still have to play Arsenal, Liverpool, and City.

It's unlikely both can expect to win against the leaders. Maybe a draw. But there's always a small chance of a win.

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think we’ll need more than 5 wins.  Probably 7 wins needed by Villa or Spurs.

I’m assuming 5th will be enough to qualify. If we win 5 it means Man Utd will need to win 8 of their last 10, and they still have to play Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton.

I honestly don’t think that we are ready for champions league football..

I wouldn’t mind us attempting to dominate the Europa League competition and try to qualify for UCL football that way..

The jump is too high for this squad..

5th place and a trophy is an incredible season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I wouldn’t mind us attempting to dominate the Europa League competition and try to qualify for UCL football that way..

Man are you on the sauce this early on a Monday morning?

17 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

You don't think the 50 million would be useful for PSR reasons?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We compete all the time with some of the best club teams in the world and we win some and we lose some.  So the PL is the perfect comparison to CL and we are fourth, so yes we are ready for CL football.  Are we going to win it? Very very unlikely but only one team is. Are we going to go far into it? Probably not…can we do ourselves justice and get through the group stage….no reason why not.  Even aside from that it’s great experience for our players and prepares hopefully for another run the following season plus it’s a massive amount of revenue to be gained.  Sod the Europa League, let’s go for CL.

• Like 2

Neutrals/Media will no doubt now have Spurs as favourites for 4th which is fair enough and will no doubt read over the next few weeks articles with Opta saying Spurs are x% favourites for finishing top 4 but I am just going to take the view there's a lot of football to be played yet. If we had won yesterday, whilst it would have been a healthy position to be in, it wouldn't have meant Villa were nailed on to finish top 4.

It was a good win for Spurs so fair play to them, the main damage from yesterday is we are going to miss Mcginn for three difficult games. It was really annoying losing Kamara for a silly red card for three games and whilst everybody has their own opinion on whether it was a red it's annoying Mcginn gave the referee a decision to make. 

We've bounced back from defeats well before, granted we are now without Mcginn for 3 games and we are playing away at a ground we struggle at, Wolves who are our bogey team and away to Man City will probably have to win to keep up with the title race but I think Emery gets us a decent-ish points total out of them 3. 

Just got to stay close to Spurs over the next four fixtures and put ourselves in a position to pounce on their difficult second half of April/May. If they are still 4th after that Liverpool game then they fully deserve 4th and we haven't been good enough in our final 10 games. 

Also would be nice if English clubs got their act together in Europe so 5th gets Champions League just to make it a bit more comfortable towards the end of the season.