Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We have a great chance of making 4th or 5th and if we don’t, you take 6th and another season of European football.  It’s still progress.

However, I do think we may not get a better opportunity of Champions League football as we do now though. Spurs, United, Newcastle and Chelsea, just haven’t been consistent throughout the season and I can only see them coming back stronger next season.  The time is now. 

Completely agree. Thing is, we'll also be stronger next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

What a petulant word removed! Club captain and role model... rat faced 🔔🔚

4th is very much ours for the taking, but we have to cut out our poor defending from set pieces, think only 2 other teams have conceded more (cant remember who, think Burnley were one) 

Defo missing Mings, he was a magnet. 

The Manure game where Maguire kept winning header after header, the marking was atrocious. 

The Forest goal off the corner. 2/3 UNMARKED in the box. To think we have a set piece coach but can't defend them!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Not necessarily we have to sell first team players, depends how well we recruit I suppose.

19 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Only if we make CL and the £50 million that comes with it. Otherwise, we probably have to sell to buy.

37 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Spurs, United, Newcastle and Chelsea, just haven’t been consistent throughout the season and I can only see them coming back stronger next season.

I said the same last season but it didn’t seem to happen this season for some of those.

I thought Poch would get Chelsea going and hasn’t.

Man Utd after a good season last year are just getting worse and ETH said they couldn’t buy a forward in Jan because of FFP so while they’ll have more to spend it won’t be blockbuster amounts.  

Newcastle are close to FFP and Howe said it is close the Lewis Hall’s mandatory £25m will have to be paid in the summer because of his appearances being hit so that’s a chunk and also will Howe still have a job in the summer.

I’m still not totally convinced about Spurs, just wonder if teams are figuring out how to play AngeBall and there seems no Plan B.

I see us being stronger next season just because we have been hit so hard with major injuries this season plus players will have had another season experience under Emery and the higher end of the table.

I mean literally second half yesterday we had to play our 5th and 6th choice CB’s and no recognised DM, that is pure bad luck in injuries for any club, any season.

• Like 3

Also with Ty, Buendia and Kamara back and some more shaping with the squad (Rb, Kamara cover, Watkins cover) over the summer we’d have a much stronger and balanced squad overall to compete on multiple fronts. 

• Like 1

How do European spots pan out if 5th place get champions league? Currently we get 7 places (4CL  2EL and 1ECL) 

I know if you win a European trophy you qualify as well, Wet Spam this year.

But if we get 5 CL spots next year does the premiere league get 8 spots overall or do we lose a EL or ECL spot.

29 minutes ago, colhint said:

How do European spots pan out if 5th place get champions league? Currently we get 7 places (4CL  2EL and 1ECL) 

I know if you win a European trophy you qualify as well, Wet Spam this year.

But if we get 5 CL spots next year does the premiere league get 8 spots overall or do we lose a EL or ECL spot.

We will get 8 overall. Can’t work out if it’s better for Liverpool to win the League Cup today, if they do it will mean that we he Conference League place will be awarded for finishing 6/7th. If Chelsea win it and unless they finish top 6 it will go to them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

We have a great chance of making 4th or 5th and if we don’t, you take 6th and another season of European football.  It’s still progress.

However, I do think we may not get a better opportunity of Champions League football as we do now though. Spurs, United, Newcastle and Chelsea, just haven’t been consistent throughout the season and I can only see them coming back stronger next season.  The time is now. 

Based on...?

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Why? You think all of Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, Newcastle and Chelsea are going to be strong and consistent next season?

How would that even work?

One of the reasons why Man U and Chelsea are so weak is because we are now so strong. Even gifting Man U six points we are much better than them.

41 minutes ago, WHY said:

We will get 8 overall. Can’t work out if it’s better for Liverpool to win the League Cup today, if they do it will mean that we he Conference League place will be awarded for finishing 6/7th. If Chelsea win it and unless they finish top 6 it will go to them. 

Chelsea are facing a 1 year European ban so will probably do a Juventus and forfeit this European season if they qualify for the Conference

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why? You think all of Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, Newcastle and Chelsea are going to be strong and consistent next season?

One of the reasons why Man U and Chelsea are so weak is because we are now so strong. Even gifting Man U six points we are much better than them.

No, I don’t think all will be stronger and consistent but teams with the greater spending power usually sort themselves out eventually. 

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Villa vs Real Madrid will happen.
Bellingham returns to Birmingham

Big Game. 

John McGinn will dump him on his arse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

One of the most frustrating lines people trot out, no data or stats behind it