Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Spurs

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

We'll finish where we deserve to at the end of the season. It would be nice if other teams helped us out but we can't be relying on favours. Up to us to get to 75 PTS or so.

Yep. Very much in our hands. Let's focus on that instead.

• Like 1

Bloody Spurs always scoring late goals.

Well we just need to make sure we at least draw tomorrow minimum. We won’t if we play like we have the last 2 home games. Pau and Digne being back will help a lot.

Annoying, Brighton probably the better side for last 30 minutes but missed some good chances, then somehow get caught with a man free at the back post in the 96th minute. Pretty naive of them.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It isn't luck when they do it again and again.

They are just as likely to concede as they are to score post 90 minutes as the 94th minute equaliser by Everton in their last game showed.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It isn't luck when they do it again and again.

The comms were saying in injury time that Spurs had actually conceded the most injury time goals that have cost them points. Can't remember them winning too many late on bar the Sheffield United win and that was in mid September.

Ultimately though with key players back from injury and the signings they made in January they have plenty of quality to bring off the bench now so you'd expect them to win a few more goals in that manner in the run in.

I don’t believe in “must win” games that often, but will say if we can avoid defeat vs United then that’s a top 5 nicely separated from the rest - and there’s a chance all 5 get CL. And even a draw puts us back above Spurs.

Lose and the gap is still 5 points to 6th but way less comfortable!

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

What a massive opportunity tomorrow is for us as a win and we can almost cement a top 5 finish (and a good chance of champ league qualification) barring a final 3rd of the season total collapse.

Tomorrow we can go 11 points clear of Man Utd, 14 clear of Brighton after their loss today and with West Ham up against Arsenal a very good chance to go 13 clear of them. Huge game tomorrow. Bring it on. 

This is the right way to look at it. Don't see the point of people stressing about which of us or Spurs is ahead by a point in mid-February, it doesn't matter. The big picture is a win puts us in a very commanding position, whereas a loss would bring a rejuvenated United back within sniffing distance. It's a huge opportunity, we need the players to play like it and we need the crowd to treat it as the massive game it is. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would rather just finish 4th so that was a bad goal for them to score in the context of our season.

Spurs still got plenty of tricky away matches to negotiate in the run in so we could do with them dropping points at home soon like we've started to do.

I’d rather finish 4th too but if 5th turns out to be Champions League then I don’t really mind. 

Spurs have all their key players coming back , no Europe distraction, look very good attacking wise and scoring late winners. I already feel like Wolves and Palace at home are going to probably be another 2 wins for them but I guess football doesn’t work like that so any points dropped there going to feel like a bonus for us.
 I feel just focusing on them will be annoying every week. Personally I am not sure their style of football is unsustainable but we just have to wait and see. 

Will definitely feel more comfortable if we beat  Man Utd and create a bigger gap. 

Based purely on form since the Brentford game, and after a slight revision of my previous prediction, I am going 5 wins, 2 draws, 8 losses. 63 points total. (I said 69 previously). 

If we can actually turn our form around properly, then I expect us to break the 70 point mark. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Based purely on form since the Brentford game, and after a slight revision of my previous prediction, I am going 5 wins, 2 draws, 8 losses. 63 points total. (I said 69 previously). 

If we can actually turn our form around properly, then I expect us to break the 70 point mark. 

1.13ppg would be quite a collapse, really hoping we don’t see such bad results in the run in especially with players coming back from injury

• Like 1

Our form is bad at the moment but why are people so sure that we won’t turn it around. Whenever we are on a run of good form people are always quick to remind us that it won’t last forever but when that happens why are people so certain that our poor form will be sustained. It defies logic.

Our form during the Emery reign is roughly two points per game. We may have short periods above/below that but over a period of time we average out to that 2 points. Unless we get totally obliterated by injuries, there’s no reason to think that things will change significantly for the remainder of the season. That makes the game tomorrow important but it’s certainly not make or break. 
Anyway, hopefully we’ll batter them. UTV. SOTC

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Our form is bad at the moment but why are people so sure that we won’t turn it around. Whenever we are on a run of good form people are always quick to remind us that it won’t last forever but when that happens why are people so certain that our poor form will be sustained. It defies logic.

Our form during the Emery reign is roughly two points per game. We may have short periods above/below that but over a period of time we average out to that 2 points. Unless we get totally obliterated by injuries, there’s no reason to think that things will change significantly for the remainder of the season. That makes the game tomorrow important but it’s certainly not make or break. 
Anyway, hopefully we’ll batter them. UTV. SOTC

I keep hearing this 2PPG line pedalled out as if we should all be super confident we’re going to finish in the top 5 because of it. 

We’ve been woeful for 2 months and we’re being torn apart by injuries. I’m happy some of you think we’re going to finish well because of what’s happened before, but it’s wishful thinking. We’re all over the place at the minute. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I keep hearing this 2PPG line pedalled out as if we should all be super confident we’re going to finish in the top 5 because of it. 

We’ve been woeful for 2 months and we’re being torn apart by injuries. I’m happy some of you think we’re going to finish well because of what’s happened before, but it’s wishful thinking. We’re all over the place at the minute. 

Yet we’re still averaging two points per game so far this season in spite of our poor recent form. It’s going to get harder because we are in uncharted territory but it’s more likely that we’ll turn the form around than we won’t. Have some faith. Negativity is really bad for you.

• Thanks 1

Pressure fully on us now tomorrow. A draw gets us back into top 4 and keeps the effective 9 point gap to 6th. Anything other than that is failure and a massive dent in our chances of CL next year. Especially the damage to the team confidence three straight losses at home.