Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We could be, we have the history and the infrastructure. But you see, I'm not underselling us, the posters saying we were in the Championship 5 years ago, it's been a great season even if we finish 8th, we haven't finished 5th since 1997 etc etc, they're the ones underselling us. I think we should all be disappointed in missing out on Champions League, because it's been in our hands for 3+ months given we haven't been outside the top 5 since October.

It's why other teams don't consider us big, even Leicester managed to finish 5th two seasons running while winning an FA Cup and they have nothing like the history we do. That monster mentality is something this club really lacks.

I guess I see it differently but we are probably coming from the same angle.

We are living through one of our worst trophy droughts. The 2010s were one of the worst decades in our long history. Yet we still played in three major cup finals (2010, 2015 and 2020). I back us to make top 5 still by the way.  And yes, we haven't done so since 1997 but there are about 7 or maybe 8 top 6 finishes since then so it isn't like we were nowhere near it! 

I am more annoyed about the way we act off the field.  For a long time we act like we have a corner shop mentality off the field-and now shelving the redevelopment harks back to that.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

even Leicester managed to finish 5th two seasons running while winning an FA Cup

Based on inflated Thailand duty free owners that weren't affected by FFP like now then business model got smashed by COVID

You keep posting about what we should be doing and lack of signings while seeming completely oblivious to FFP restraints

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Based on inflated Thailand duty free owners that weren't affected by FFP like now then business model got smashed by COVID

You keep posting about what we should be doing and lack of signings while seeming completely oblivious to FFP restraints

Exactly. Getting CL qualification this year would be far more of an achievement given the inherent disadvantages in the system now, compared to even the MON era let alone the 1990's.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The sky isn’t falling. One poor game full of individual errors isn’t going to cost us. Unai can turn any slump around. 

'One poor game'. 

It isn't though is it? We've been poor for ages. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

'One poor game'. 

Gives you some thing to complain about until Buendia returns from injury

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

'One poor game'. 

It isn't one poor game, but we've been without a number of key players, especially so recently in Pau.

The poor run started around the time Kamara missed 3 games suspended and when we'd been on a long run of good form.  Alongside that we've got Buendia, Mings, Ramsey and Digne that have been injured for ages, and then the more recent slump triggered by Pau's injury being the straw that broke the camels back.

That's 5 players that would be in the starting 11 if their form prior to injury had continued. We've now lost Konsa but are getting Pau back, but the situation isn't really any rosier.

Against United,  unless Pau is fit and comes back at the level he left us, we've got very little hope of beating them given their recent resurgence. Garnacho will have a field day with our defence, probably even if Pau is there as we severely lack pace. Its not reasonable to expect us to beat them with the injuries we have. 

It might be reasonable to expect a high scoring game that could go either way given their defence also looks weak though. I'd happily take a 4-4 draw if offered it now. Plenty of lessons for Emery to review with the new defence we'll be running without Konsa, and confidence boosters for the forward line who score. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It isn't one poor game, but we've been without a number of key players, especially so recently in Pau.

The poor run started around the time Kamara missed 3 games suspended and when we'd been on a long run of good form.  Alongside that we've got Buendia, Mings, Ramsey and Digne that have been injured for ages, and then the more recent slump triggered by Pau's injury being the straw that broke the camels back.

That's 5 players that would be in the starting 11 if their form prior to injury had continued. We've now lost Konsa but are getting Pau back, but the situation isn't really any rosier.

Against United,  unless Pau is fit and comes back at the level he left us, we've got very little hope of beating them given their recent resurgence. Garnacho will have a field day with our defence, probably even if Pau is there as we severely lack pace. Its not reasonable to expect us to beat them with the injuries we have. 

It might be reasonable to expect a high scoring game that could go either way given their defence also looks weak though. I'd happily take a 4-4 draw if offered it now. Plenty of lessons for Emery to review with the new defence we'll be running without Konsa, and confidence boosters for the forward line who score. 

Agreed. I’m not getting at anything other than we’ve been poor for ages. We should absolutely not be surprised if United hammer us which they may well do. 

Injuries and suspensions to a lesser extent have really hindered us. 

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The poor run started around the time Kamara missed 3 games suspended

Hmm. Not sure I agree. It started with Bournemouth, we were pretty poor there nearly at full strength. We were excellent against City, awful against Mostar and kinda lucky against Arsenal. We were also awful against Brentford until Mee got sent off.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I haven't mentioned FFP or our January window, you've made that up. I'm talking about our mentality. We are good enough to finish top 5 if we want it badly enough. Our fans seem to be accepting that even if we finish below that it's OK, I don't agree. 

I was disappointed by our January window but ultimately no one did any serious business so I've come to accept it.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Huh GIF - Huh - Discover & Share GIFs | Giphy, Memes, Let's get married

Huh GIF - Huh - Discover & Share GIFs

Is anyone going to tell him how many of us aren't in or from Birmingham?

Come on, don’t get so offended by it. We’re still considered the biggest club in the region, but outside of that we’re not considered big because of our lack of success both in terms of winning any trophies and also our league positions which have fluctuated wildly between 6th at best and relegation. Spurs are seen as bigger by neutrals when they shouldn’t really given we are similar size historically but it’s because despite not winning much themselves they have stayed consistently challenging in the league. 

And I know Villa has fans outside of Birmingham, I’m one of them!

• Like 1

Come on, don’t get so offended by it. We’re still considered the biggest club in the region, but outside of that we’re not considered big because of our lack of success both in terms of winning any trophies and also our league positions which have fluctuated wildly between 6th at best and relegation. Spurs are seen as bigger by neutrals when they shouldn’t really given we are similar size historically but it’s because despite not winning much themselves they have stayed consistently challenging in the league. 

All of the above is correct. 

• Like 1

To be fair, i do get your points at times, but the way your word things ( Borderline Hyperbolic ) is often going to go down like a lead balloon for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spiezels said:

All of the above is correct. 

Yes and no.

I feel it may also be a generational thing.

People above a certain age, whether Villa fans or not, or from Birmingham or not, do acknowledge Villa as a " Big " Club.

Then again, same could be said of the likes of Nottingham Forest.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes and no.

I feel it may also be a generational thing.

People above a certain age, whether Villa fans or not, or from Birmingham or not, do acknowledge Villa as a " Big " Club.

Then again, same could be said of the likes of Nottingham Forest.

Yeah i’d agree a generational thing too, im 35, grew up in Brum but lived for 6 years in Manc (Mon leaving and city first spending years) and now london for 12 years and in my age group, we’re seen as a boring, mid table, small ish club that thinks its massive. 

Only gonna keep getting worse unless we cement fighting for champs league each year and some silverware. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, spiezels said:

, we’re seen as a boring, mid table, small ish club that thinks its massive. 

Only gonna keep getting worse unless we cement fighting for champs league each year and some silverware. 

This is pretty sad, and it's another reason I feel our fanbase need to be more open to modernising and revamping across the board.

Mind, i'm not THAT much older than you. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is pretty sad, and it's another reason I feel our fanbase need to be more open to modernising and revamping across the board.

Mind, i'm not THAT much older than you. lol

Thats why i think the argument for cups or champions league position sways a little to champions league for me, as its an easy way to boost the clubs profile, with FFP we need more fans, people to buy shirts and merch so we can then spend that on the field, so thats got to be the aim. 

I think for us as villa fans we got to feel some absolutely mint experiences with a local manager and local captain taking us on that run, getting promoted. We’ll all remember that fondly, but barely anyone in the prem even knows what happened or the significance. 

So although we’ve done stuff, its all minor and those years in the championship just cement that we’re abit of a nothing club to alot of other fans. 

A new stand, decent stuff around the ground and a champions league place would be HUGE. 

• Like 1