Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

7 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think some of you need to remember it wasn't that long ago that we were in the Championship without a pot to piss in. 

We've come so far in a short space of time. Nobody would have predicted Emery to have come in and taken us straight into Europe. 

We are now competing against sides who have been established in the top 4 or 5 for years during which several of them we spent outside the top division. 

To be where we are, as a fan, I'm over the moon. Would I like CL next season? Yes please. Would I like to win the Conference League? Yes please. But if neither of them happen, the turnaround at this club in 14 months has been amazing and the odd poor performance won't negate from that. 

But this is why we never achieve much. Our standards are so low compared to these so-called 'big' sides that we're just happy to compete with them and don't care about the end result. It's why the pundits never take us seriously and always predict we'll fall away when it really matters too. It's in our nature because our standards are not high like the other big sides, yet we like to think of ourselves as a big team. If we consider ourselves a big club we need to act like one.

I understand we were in the Championship not so long ago and to have perspective etc, sure, but it's about taking opportunities when they come along. If we fall away to finish 6th or lower it's been a bit of a disastrous season really given where we were at Christmas and reminds me of 1999 and 2009 where similar things happened. We need to be at least finishing 5th this season after a sh*t show of a performance in both domestic cups.

5 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

We won't do it. Last night was very telling. We simply don't have the quality nor mentality to finish in the top 4. Europa league will be an amazing achievement for us but no guarantees. I expect us to slide down the league now.

I mean, it really wouldn't. Anything lower than 5th is appalling from here on in and would show our players are a bunch of snowflakes if they fall off so badly. Time for them to stand up and be counted after putting in two dismal home performances back to back. They owe us a performance on Sunday as three home defeats in a row simply isn't good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I mean, it really wouldn't. Anything lower than 5th is appalling from here on in and would show our players are a bunch of snowflakes if they fall off so badly. Time for them to stand up and be counted after putting in two dismal home performances back to back. They owe us a performance on Sunday as three home defeats in a row simply isn't good enough. 

Get a grip man!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Ah, You're one of those sort of people.

Good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Not a bunch of snowflakes. But it does mean that we will have turned into a Fulham type side for the second half of the season. Which is rediculous with the same group of players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's down to our failure to deal with the structured press. Kamara goal came from us playing out from back and their press forcing a mistake. We saw the same against Newcastle and the first game against Chelsea.

Lack of having Pau is a factor as he is so skilled at getting out. Plus losing Konsa has a stellar pass success rate was also a factor last night.

The game for me hinged on the first goal. They got it and got confidence. If we had scored first they might have dropped the heads. 

I think all of the issues we've seen are fixable. Ideally we'd have Digne and Pau back for Sunday to help us with our playing out from the back. 

We have bounced back to win our next match following a defeat 7 times this season and in 6 of those scored 3+ goals in process. We saw how we lost three in bounce last February and went in a run after.

If we perform against United we won't have a press to play against as good as Chelsea Newcastle and United when we play Fulham, Forest and Luton after.

We have it all to play for. A good performance and at least a point on Sunday. Get a couple of wins after that and we will get through this bumpy patch 

Took me a few pages of searching but finally some sense on VT.

Bravo @CVByrne

This is going to be absolute scrap. We have given ourselves every chance here and our season to date has been excellent. Injuries and not getting the likes of Ramsey, Diaby and Moreno back to form is why we are faltering. Emery has proven himself time and time again to get them going so I’m trying not to be too pessimistic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's also good we have a week gap between our next 4 games. We hopefully get more players back fit and more time rested. 

I do wonder how much that had a bearing on our performance, we do seem to hold back in mid week games when we also have one at the weekend. I do think Unai sometimes over thinks things

4 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Emery has proven himself time and time again to get them going so I’m trying not to be too pessimistic. 

Sensible way to be. I'll never understand the we're doomed posts and Manure will turn into elite team for the rest of the season

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sensible way to be. I'll never understand the we're doomed posts and Manure will turn into elite team for the rest of the season

I don't think people are worried about other teams being 'elite' at all. People are worried about our injuries and our form dropping off a cliff. I don't care about previous XG, XGa, PPG or whatever nonsense people band around, I care about what's happening on the pitch in the present and the harsh truth is, we've been very poor since the Man City game. If our form continues as it is, we simply won't make the top 5 and it will have nothing to do with any other teams becoming elite. 

I trust Emery is absolutely the right man to turn it around, but again, the harsh truth may well be that injuries are scuppering our chances and our squad doesn't have the depth to handle it. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

our squad doesn't have the depth to handle it. 

It is what it is because of FFP and our revenue is less than half the lowest of top 6 earners so Emery is the best differential hope

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

You do know that we haven't finished 5th or higher since 1997 right?

I know that. Probably why we're considered a small club by everyone outside of Birmingham. 

• Confused 1

I won't lie. When Newcastle thumped us and, we lost Mings after already losing Buendia, I thought we would have done well to make the top 10 in the league.

Some pundits and fans dismiss it but, for lengthy periods this season,we have been without key players:

Buendia

Mings (our warrior)

Ramsey (key last season)

Moreno (key kat season)

Digne (just as Moreno needed easing back in)

Torress (just as we got into title contention, and just as he was emerging as a key player)

Youri (just has he got into form)

I won't mention Konsa at this point but we definitely could have done without him getting injured when the defence was already thin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Hello from Ireland. I consider us a massive club that under sells itself. 

We could be, we have the history and the infrastructure. But you see, I'm not underselling us, the posters saying we were in the Championship 5 years ago, it's been a great season even if we finish 8th, we haven't finished 5th since 1997 etc etc, they're the ones underselling us. I think we should all be disappointed in missing out on Champions League, because it's been in our hands for 3+ months given we haven't been outside the top 5 since October.

It's why other teams don't consider us big, even Leicester managed to finish 5th two seasons running while winning an FA Cup and they have nothing like the history we do. That monster mentality is something this club really lacks.