Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Wouldn’t be a surprise if Arsenal go ahead of us anyway. Always maintained that Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal would finish above us despite what the league table has said recently but I guess for those who are thinking about a title race will see it as disappointing which is fair enough. 

Think with all the talk about Arsenals attack recently wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a very convincing win for them against Palace today and Hodgson will be sacked no doubt. 

Only teams results I’m looking at at the moment is Spurs! 

Yeah totally agree. Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal are always gonna pull away from us for a variety of reasons so I am not really looking at their results, but getting 4th will mean staying above Spurs and that is the key.

Personally, I think we have enough of a gap to Man United, Chelsea and West Ham to worry about them so it's a flat out fight for 4th for me.

By the time our ECL QF game comes around, 5th will likely be confirmed as CL too, so it's looking good!

45 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I know they all count but we need a big win now I feel like Arsenal have done today. Most of our recent wins since Arsenal have been really dug out and we've made heavy weather of some absolute complete no hoper teams. A nice 5-0 ourselves would be good

I was thinking this, we haven't cruised to a comfortable win since what, Fulham in early November?

17 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For what its worth, i feel like we were cruising then over xmas we had a big stutter and now ee are holding on to top 4 with our bare fingertips. Feels like we are beginning to slip

That's the spirit!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jayEm said:

I was thinking this, we haven't cruised to a comfortable win since what, Fulham in early November?

Probably man city, despite the scoreline we bashed them. But since it's been hard going

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For what its worth, i feel like we were cruising then over xmas we had a big stutter and now ee are holding on to top 4 with our bare fingertips. Feels like we are beginning to slip

I think it was our dip after tough games against Spurs, Arsenal and City as well as a number of injuries to in-form players and  also some suspensions and we still picked up some good points.

A winter break and a raft of players back and we are good to go for second half of the season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think it was our dip after tough games against Spurs, Arsenal and City as well as a number of injuries to in-form players and  also some suspensions and we still picked up some good points.

A winter break and a raft of players back and we are good to go for second half of the season.

Insert topless I Still Believe sax solo from The Lost Boys movie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Don’t we have the hardest run in? And essentially the easiest Christmas schedule. Feel like we’ve dropped a lot of points. 

But we perform much better and seem to get points out of seemingly harder opponents. On paper it was an easy Christmas but it was opponents that were desperate not to lose to us and grind out draws with low blocks. We’ll be competitive on the run in. We need to pick up points against teams lower down the table who’ll try to do an Everton on us.

• Like 1

We really should be winning our next two games and that will settle everyone down you'd think.

Imagine not beating this Sheffield United team home or away, feels a Villa thing to do but they lack so much quality on the ball and will leave them space than we had at VP so that's the last game we should be complacent in after what happened at VP.